Introductory questions to Remote Assistance/RDP

I am sortof "new" to the whole "network" thing, though I have been
working with PCs for many years... I had a couple probably simple
questions regarding Remote Assistance and/or Remote Desktop (RDP).

(1) I read microsoft info on how to establish Remote Assistance via
Messenger. From what I understand the remote computer basically runs a
window that has an emulation of the host computer's desktop running
within a window while at the same time providing "remote control" of
the host computer's mouse pointer and keystrokes. Is this correct?

(2) Does "Remote Assistance" essentially always use RDP to operate?

(3) When both parties initiate Remote Assistance, the user on the
"host" computer is essentially LOCKED OUT from doing anything, other
than the ability to STOP the Remote Assistance. Yes? I suppose this is
in order to provide the owner of the host computer some degree of
safety/control without violating copywrite issues with having two
people simultaneously using the same piece of software? Even though
this user is "locked-out" then can still obviously SEE/HEAR everything
that the remote computer is doing to their computer?

Most important question for me:
(4) The activation of Remote Assistance (RDP) does not (or at least,
should not) require rebooting of the host computer or reloading of
different drivers on the host computer? In otherwords, Remote
Assistance is designed to operate seamlessly, allowing the host
computer to run AS IT ALWAYS WAS, with the possible exception of being
a bit slower because of extra CPU resources required to run RDP?? My
main question is whether or not the host computer should be able to
run all of its NORMAL screen resolutions, software, DVD/CD player,
sound quality, internet access, etc???

(5) If the answer to (4) above is "NO" then I don't understand what
the usefulness of Remote Assistance is... If a freind of mine is
having problems with something on his computer, I will want to
"remotely assist" him by having full access to his machine as it is
designed to run. If the machine runs completly differently (different
set of drivers, no video card, no sound card, etc) then how can I
"assist" him?

You can see that I am hoping the answer to (4) is actually "Yes"...

PS: I DO understand that there will be severe limitations to the
QUALITY of the images and sound that the user of the REMOTE desktop
will experience, due to the fact that they must work within the
confines of the RDP-ran window itself.

any comments???

Thanks!

I will attempt to answer your questions in order:
1. I think you have the concept down. However, the user of the host
machine (the one getting assisted) must give control to the person providing
assistance even after the RA session is started.

2. I beleive RA and RDP use the same core stuff. However, they do provide
different functionality and RDP is not avaliable for XP Home (you can remote
desktop to a Home machine, you can remote desktop from one).

3. As I said in 1 the host computer can control his machine or give control
to the other party. If the host is controling the assisting party is
basically watching what happens on the remote machine. So you are correct
in that only one person can control the machine at once with RA.

4. No reboot is necessary with either RA or RDP. The host continues to run
the OS and programs, etc. as it would before the remote session. The remote
machine is basically "watching" (although you could be controling it too)
what happens on the host machine as a terminal.

I hope that helps.

---
John A. Wolf
jawlaw@hotmail.com