Whatever happened to the Sony 828?

I never see any references to or comments on this Sony model. Has it not
found favour among digital camera users?

Jimmie

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Many happy users of this cam @ www.SonyCams.com

Seymore...
www.SonyCams.com
Sony F717 | P50
Nikon D70 | FM2n | SB22
Nikon MF | 50mm 1.4 | 135mm 3.5
Nikon AF | 50mm 1.8 | 60mm 2.8 macro | 24-50mm 3.3/4.5 | 35-135mm 3.5/4.5 |
2x tele
Tokina 100-300mm 4 | 2x tele
remove "REMOVE" to reply directly

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:13:24 +0000 (UTC), "Jay Arr" <newsyparker@spamex.com>
wrote:

>I never see any references to or comments on this Sony model. Has it not
>found favour among digital camera users?
>
>Jimmie

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/

Here is the Con list..

Strong visible chromatic aberrations in backlit or reflections in bright sunny
conditions
Higher noise levels than the current crop of five megapixel digital cameras
Potential hue shift on overexposed greens
Visible sharpening 'white halo' around black lines
Barrel distortion at wide angle (although expected of such a wide angle DC
lens)
Difficult to get good macro performance without barrel distortion
Annoying shutter release locking issue where you must wait before re-pressing
Would have been nice to have Adobe RGB color space option
Average buffer size, not used for RAW or TIFF images which lock the camera
during write
No user settings / memories
No blinking highlights in histogram playback mode
Unrequired separate play mode, should have shooting priority full play mode
via QV button
Very small photosite compromising image quality (marketing over quality)?

>"Are you still wasting your time with spam?...
>There is a solution!"
>
>Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
>The most powerful anti-spam software available.
>http://mail.spaminspector.com

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

<puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message news:t56mu0p6t877ggrmtu5j4uflkf5l483v6f@4ax.com...
> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:13:24 +0000 (UTC), "Jay Arr" <newsyparker@spamex.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I never see any references to or comments on this Sony model. Has it not
> >found favour among digital camera users?
> >
> >Jimmie
> >

> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/
> Very small photosite compromising image quality (marketing over quality)?

Those last three words sum it up perfectly. The F828 is for
people who only care about how many MP a camera has,
and who don't give a particular damn about image quality.

All 6MP SLRs, and even many 5MP P&S's can outresolve
the F828, because of that cameras atrocious noise levels.

I thought as much. Shame really since my "old" Sony Cybershot F505 may
need replacement and the oustanding service and quality of results it
provided merited staying with Sony. I saw a F505 go on Ebay last week for
just over £50. What a poor price for a superlative photo-maker.

I wonder though how much a camera model's success and popularity relies on
the initial in-depth reviews in the photo press and web pages? A bloody
minded reviewer can do an awful lot of damage. The ability to make
photographs and the useability of a camera is so much more important than
the odd lens aberration or colour cast.

Thanks for the responses.

"Tom" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> <puss@purrpurr.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 09:13:24 +0000 (UTC), "Jay Arr"
>> <newsyparker@spamex.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I never see any references to or comments on this Sony model. Has it
>> >not
>> >found favour among digital camera users?
>> >
>> >Jimmie
>> >

>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscf828/
>> Very small photosite compromising image quality (marketing over quality)?
>
> Those last three words sum it up perfectly. The F828 is for
> people who only care about how many MP a camera has,
> and who don't give a particular damn about image quality.
>
> All 6MP SLRs, and even many 5MP P&S's can outresolve
> the F828, because of that cameras atrocious noise levels.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

The F717 would be a logical replacement for the 505. It has the
same size sensor as the F828, but is only 5MP.. VERY low noise,
and exceptional detail. My only criticism of the F717 is its color
response, which is relatively flat. It has a difficult time capturing
subtle color differences in certain kinds of light, particularly in
outdoor overcast/cloudy conditions. But in most cases images
can be fixed with a little post processing, to bump up the contrast.