'Missing Operating Sytem', fails to boot from CD/USB key

jobal

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Hello,

I have a windows 7 64-bit and the other day it fails to boot.It keeps showing 'Missing operating Sytem' just a couple of seconds after turning it on.I've tried the MSI recovery manager via F3 but it stops in the middle and fails to repair the problem. I've checked the booting sequence and it's ok. I've tried to use a bootable CD and also it cannot read the CD(of course setting the BIOS to boot from CD first). I also tried to boot from a USB key but to no avail.Does anybody know how to fix this problem except to return it where i purchased?I could have used my warranty card but the location is very far from where I'm staying now. THANKS IN ADVANCE AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE..

ok, you sound like you know what you are talking about.

when booting from the cd/dvd do you see 'press any key to boot from cd...' on the screen and do you press something? if not then for some reason you are not booting from the cd/dvd drive.

are all of the expected drives visble in bios? has the machine been moved at all, could some cables have come loose?

jobal

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
It is a MSI laptop so i don't think a loose cable is the culprit.I think the problem before for not being able to read the DVD was that the installer was not good cause when i've tried using an XP installer it read the CD.The XP installer went good for the first few seconds until just after '..entering set-up...' came a blue page telling me this errors..STOP:0X0000007B (0XF7802524,0XC0000034,0X00000000,0X00000000)...

I figure there is a problem with the hard disk so i found a screw driver and brought the hard disk out(off course voiding my warranty)..I found that my external hard disk has a compatible connector with the subject hard disk so i used it plugged it in a separate computer..My problem now is that my hard disk is not detected in windows explorer so that i could do some virus scanning or chkdsk..I used a partitioning and recovery software and it can detect the hard disk and it can show the contents of the hard disk.

Any thoughts on how to solve this problem?Thanks anyway for you time.

in the other computer go to system - admin - comp management - disk management and there you should see the disk and will be able to do something to recognise it. Other than that i'm suffering with a similar problem and am coming up with dead ends for the last week.