is there anyway to automatically start a VPN connection at..

Hey guys,

I have a VPN connection to work and I was wondering if is there a way to
connect at boot up time automatically. So my map drive will automatically
connect when I turn on my computer. I have cable modem so I have always have
connection to the internet so my VPN should connect.

Ankit Shah

You could create a batch file to use rasdial to dial the CM connection with
the username and password and place it in the startup dir so it would be run
at start up.
--

Thanks
Sharoon

"Ankit Shah" <AnkitShah15@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey guys,
>
> I have a VPN connection to work and I was wondering if is there a way to
> connect at boot up time automatically. So my map drive will automatically
> connect when I turn on my computer. I have cable modem so I have always
have
> connection to the internet so my VPN should connect.
>
> Ankit Shah

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:57:32 +0530, "Sharoon Shetty K [MSFT]"
<sharoons@online.microsoft.com> wrote:

>You could create a batch file to use rasdial to dial the CM connection with
>the username and password and place it in the startup dir so it would be run
>at start up.

What would such a script look like?

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002

Something like this:

a) First create a suitable location (say c:\batch).

b) Then create a shortcut to the connection in this location (r-click, drag, choose create shortcut)
create the following batch file

@ECHO OFF

PING localhost -n 20 -w 1000 >NUL

START RASDIAL.EXE <connection_name> <user_name> <password>

:End

c) Then create a shortcut to this batch file in the startup group.

Points to note:

1. I have added a 20 second delay to give time for things to start (esp dsl-modem) but as you're using permanent connection you might want to remove this.

2. It seems to be important to have the shortcut to the dun and the batch file in the same location.

3. Not sure about spaces in the dun shortcut name - if there are any you could try enclosing in double quotes or renaming it.

hth

john

"Bob" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:4084ed93.44677693@news-server.houston.rr.com...
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:57:32 +0530, "Sharoon Shetty K [MSFT]"
> <sharoons@online.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >You could create a batch file to use rasdial to dial the CM connection with
> >the username and password and place it in the startup dir so it would be run
> >at start up.
>
> What would such a script look like?
>

> --
>
> Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
> http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/
>
> "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
> --David Crockett

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:34:54 +0100, "vagabond" <adivvy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Something like this:
>
>a) First create a suitable location (say c:\batch).
>
>b) Then create a shortcut to the connection in this location (r-click, =
>drag, choose create shortcut)
>create the following batch file
>
>@ECHO OFF=20
>
>PING localhost -n 20 -w 1000 >NUL=20
>
>START RASDIAL.EXE <connection_name> <user_name> <password>
>
>:End=20
>
>c) Then create a shortcut to this batch file in the startup group.
>
>Points to note:
>
>1. I have added a 20 second delay to give time for things to start (esp =
>dsl-modem) but as you're using permanent connection you might want to =
>remove this.
>
>2. It seems to be important to have the shortcut to the dun and the =
>batch file in the same location.
>
>3. Not sure about spaces in the dun shortcut name - if there are any you =
>could try enclosing in double quotes or renaming it.
>
>hth
>
>john

Thanks for the heads up. Here's what I found experimenting (using
<localhost> for the VPN Server address so I could test it locally. You
may get two VPN Client icons in the tray, but so what).

1) No need for START. Just run RASDIAL and it will connect.

2) No need to put a shortcut of the connection in a special folder.
RASDIAL knows to look in the Network Connections folder where the VPN
Client Connection is defined.

3) Your newsreader is inserting extraneous characters at the end of
the line.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002

Glad it works.

Using OE, my posts are Quoted Printable encoded so as long links don't wrap. You must be using Forte Agent?

cheers

john

"Bob" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message news:4085386f.9169304@news-server.houston.rr.com...
> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:34:54 +0100, "vagabond" <adivvy@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Something like this:
> >
> >a) First create a suitable location (say c:\batch).
> >
> >b) Then create a shortcut to the connection in this location (r-click, =
> >drag, choose create shortcut)
> >create the following batch file
> >
> >@ECHO OFF=20
> >
> >PING localhost -n 20 -w 1000 >NUL=20
> >
> >START RASDIAL.EXE <connection_name> <user_name> <password>
> >
> >:End=20
> >
> >c) Then create a shortcut to this batch file in the startup group.
> >
> >Points to note:
> >
> >1. I have added a 20 second delay to give time for things to start (esp =
> >dsl-modem) but as you're using permanent connection you might want to =
> >remove this.
> >
> >2. It seems to be important to have the shortcut to the dun and the =
> >batch file in the same location.
> >
> >3. Not sure about spaces in the dun shortcut name - if there are any you =
> >could try enclosing in double quotes or renaming it.
> >
> >hth
> >
> >john
> >

> Thanks for the heads up. Here's what I found experimenting (using
> <localhost> for the VPN Server address so I could test it locally. You
> may get two VPN Client icons in the tray, but so what).
>
> 1) No need for START. Just run RASDIAL and it will connect.
>
> 2) No need to put a shortcut of the connection in a special folder.
> RASDIAL knows to look in the Network Connections folder where the VPN
> Client Connection is defined.
>
> 3) Your newsreader is inserting extraneous characters at the end of
> the line.
>

> --
>
> Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
> http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/
>
> "You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
> --David Crockett

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:35:14 +0100, "vagabond" <adivvy@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Using OE, my posts are Quoted Printable encoded so as long links don't =
>wrap.

I am not one to tell people how to set up their newsreader, but isn't
wrapping considered the normal way to post?

>You must be using Forte Agent?

Yes, I am using Free Agent - as the header will expose.

Is there something I can do to stop this nuisance?

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

Not for links... For text, yes...

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 20:49:29 GMT, spam@spam.com (Bob) wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 17:35:14 +0100, "vagabond" <adivvy@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Using OE, my posts are Quoted Printable encoded so as long links don't =
>>wrap.
>
>I am not one to tell people how to set up their newsreader, but isn't
>wrapping considered the normal way to post?
>
>>You must be using Forte Agent?
>
>Yes, I am using Free Agent - as the header will expose.
>
>Is there something I can do to stop this nuisance?

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:45:34 -0500, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
<jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:

>>Is there something I can do to stop this nuisance?

>Not for links... For text, yes...

OK, then what is it?

My links do not show up as links, just text.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett

You are using Agent (or a variant)... You should be seeing the
links.. I am... By default, Agent shouldn't break URL streams..
However, Outlook Express-posted links typically will be broken.. A
security patch for Outlook Express
(http://www.windows-help.net/microsoft/oe6-sp1.html) provided a fix
for this issue, but it appears many haven't used it...

And don't get us started about how the CDO interace butchers links..
:(

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:56:04 GMT, spam@spam.com (Bob) wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:45:34 -0500, "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)"
><jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote:
>
>>>Is there something I can do to stop this nuisance?
>
>>Not for links... For text, yes...
>
>OK, then what is it?
>
>My links do not show up as links, just text.

vagabond

Distinguished
May 5, 2002

Well, I have this patch applied (didn't know it attempted to address
wrapping links).

However - news:uk$lr8DKEHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl - shows that this does
not work properly.

Cheers