Is Maxell DVD-R media one of the best ?

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I have heard Taiyo Yuden is one of the best, as well as Maxell.

I don't mind spending $1+ per disc if the quality is there.

I recently started converting some VHS to DVD. I bought some Memorex
Printable DVD-Rs in a 100 pack. After the 4GB mark, a lot of them start
freezing and breaking up and pixelating. This is unacceptable for what I am
doing, not to mention the problems this could cause with data !

I would like to avoid this by buying better media. So how about Maxell
DVD-R printables? Any opinions ?
7 answers Last reply
More about maxell media
  1. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Oh yeah was also thinking about Verbatim printables.

    Are Maxell and Verbatim in a different league than Ritek, Prodisc, Memorex,
    etc...

    "ZigZag Master" <ZigZagSPAMMYMaster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have heard Taiyo Yuden is one of the best, as well as Maxell.
    >
    > I don't mind spending $1+ per disc if the quality is there.
    >
    > I recently started converting some VHS to DVD. I bought some Memorex
    > Printable DVD-Rs in a 100 pack. After the 4GB mark, a lot of them start
    > freezing and breaking up and pixelating. This is unacceptable for what I
    am
    > doing, not to mention the problems this could cause with data !
    >
    > I would like to avoid this by buying better media. So how about Maxell
    > DVD-R printables? Any opinions ?

  2. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    In message <2ok5koFb6g2tU1@uni-berlin.de>
    "ZigZag Master" <ZigZagSPAMMYMaster@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > "ZigZag Master" <ZigZagSPAMMYMaster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have heard Taiyo Yuden is one of the best, as well as Maxell.
    > >
    > > I don't mind spending $1+ per disc if the quality is there.
    > >
    > > I recently started converting some VHS to DVD. I bought some Memorex
    > > Printable DVD-Rs in a 100 pack. After the 4GB mark, a lot of them start
    > > freezing and breaking up and pixelating. This is unacceptable for what I
    > am
    > > doing, not to mention the problems this could cause with data !
    > >
    > > I would like to avoid this by buying better media. So how about Maxell
    > > DVD-R printables? Any opinions ?
    > >

    > Oh yeah was also thinking about Verbatim printables.
    >
    > Are Maxell and Verbatim in a different league than Ritek, Prodisc, Memorex,
    > etc...

    Well, funnily enough, I've been using only Maxell DVD-R discs for
    sometime now.
    Using DVDInfoPro:
    The last lot that I bought in Jewel Cases have a media ID code of TYG01.
    The latest lot (in DVD cases) have a media ID code of RITEKG04
    Make of that what you will.

    What I'd like to know is that if Maxell are using the Ritek or Taiyo
    Yuden dye then what difference is there between Maxell discs and the
    really cheap RiData discs which cost half as much.

    I've shied away from cheap discs having suffered from a bad batch of
    cheap Infiniti discs but now I wonder if I'm wasting my money.

    Cheers!

    --
    Graham
    The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk

    Thanks Doc,

    I was going to buy some 50PKs of Maxells Printable Whites.....Anyone know
    what media codes those use....I thought Maxell would have MXLRG0x media
    code....wierd.....according to:

    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

    That would be one of the highest ranking types...

    "The Doctor" <thedoctor@thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In message <2ok5koFb6g2tU1@uni-berlin.de>
    > "ZigZag Master" <ZigZagSPAMMYMaster@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >

    > > "ZigZag Master" <ZigZagSPAMMYMaster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > I have heard Taiyo Yuden is one of the best, as well as Maxell.
    > > >
    > > > I don't mind spending $1+ per disc if the quality is there.
    > > >
    > > > I recently started converting some VHS to DVD. I bought some Memorex
    > > > Printable DVD-Rs in a 100 pack. After the 4GB mark, a lot of them
    start
    > > > freezing and breaking up and pixelating. This is unacceptable for
    what I
    > > am
    > > > doing, not to mention the problems this could cause with data !
    > > >
    > > > I would like to avoid this by buying better media. So how about
    Maxell
    > > > DVD-R printables? Any opinions ?
    > > >

    > > Oh yeah was also thinking about Verbatim printables.
    > >
    > > Are Maxell and Verbatim in a different league than Ritek, Prodisc,
    Memorex,
    > > etc...
    > >
    > Well, funnily enough, I've been using only Maxell DVD-R discs for
    > sometime now.
    > Using DVDInfoPro:
    > The last lot that I bought in Jewel Cases have a media ID code of TYG01.
    > The latest lot (in DVD cases) have a media ID code of RITEKG04
    > Make of that what you will.
    >
    > What I'd like to know is that if Maxell are using the Ritek or Taiyo
    > Yuden dye then what difference is there between Maxell discs and the
    > really cheap RiData discs which cost half as much.
    >
    > I've shied away from cheap discs having suffered from a bad batch of
    > cheap Infiniti discs but now I wonder if I'm wasting my money.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > --
    > Graham
    > The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk
    > Deathzone Emulation - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk/emulation
  4. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    > Oh yeah was also thinking about Verbatim printables.
    >
    > Are Maxell and Verbatim in a different league than Ritek, Prodisc,
    Memorex,
    > etc...

    Maxwell do not make discs, just rebadge them so god knows what you are going
    to get.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    >>Are Maxell and Verbatim in a different league than Ritek, Prodisc,
    > Maxwell do not make discs, just rebadge them so god knows what you are going
    > to get.

    I don't believe so (see caveat). They're one of the first to make
    DVD-R discs in Japan, and even today, their DVD-R discs are still made
    in Japan and are one of the highest quality, highest performing discs in
    existance today (so good, even Apple rebrands and sells them).

    See www.cdrinfo.com and other test sites for the PI/PO error rate
    charts of the Maxell DVD-R discs across a variety of burners to see how
    well they do perform.

    Now, on the other hand, their DVD+R discs are Taiwanese rebrands, so
    they're definitely not made by Maxell, nor, IMO, based on PI/PO error
    rate charts, as good of a pick as their DVD-R discs. I would avoid
    Maxell's DVD+R discs, buy their DVD-R discs, and if going cheap, find a
    good pack of Ritek DVD-R discs cheap.

    --

    Keep in mind that different burners accept different media, so
    burners like the highly-rated and compatible Pioneer 12X burner will

    ---

    the best combination here is to start off with a high-quality burner
    (low PI/PO charts across the board), then use a good disc to ensure the
    best burns and highest compatibility with lowest rates of data loss.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

    Yeah but they're a good brand, a name you can trust :D

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:53:39 GMT, "Camper" <sezielaw@rocketmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Maxwell do not make discs, just rebadge them so god knows what you are going
    >to get.

    Office Depot has 2-for-1 specials of
    Maxell DVD-R or DVD+R for US$60,
    from 8-22 to 8-28.

    Just checked the local store
    near Detroit. DVD+R are all Taiwan.

    Some DVD-R are Japan, the rest
    (newer) are made in Taiwan.

    Look around for the older stock
    (if they have a lock-up case,
    it may have the older Japan stuff).

    So, buyer be aware - Newer Maxell
    are all Taiwan made.

    Good luck,
    George

    >>>Are Maxell and Verbatim in a different league than Ritek, Prodisc,
    >> Maxwell do not make discs, just rebadge them so god knows what you are
    >going
    >> to get.
    >
    > I don't believe so (see caveat). They're one of the first to make
    >DVD-R discs in Japan, and even today, their DVD-R discs are still made
    >in Japan and are one of the highest quality, highest performing discs in
    >existance today (so good, even Apple rebrands and sells them).
    >
    > See www.cdrinfo.com and other test sites for the PI/PO error rate
    >charts of the Maxell DVD-R discs across a variety of burners to see how
    >well they do perform.
    >
    > Now, on the other hand, their DVD+R discs are Taiwanese rebrands, so
    >they're definitely not made by Maxell, nor, IMO, based on PI/PO error
    >rate charts, as good of a pick as their DVD-R discs. I would avoid
    >Maxell's DVD+R discs, buy their DVD-R discs, and if going cheap, find a
    >good pack of Ritek DVD-R discs cheap.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Keep in mind that different burners accept different media, so
    >burners like the highly-rated and compatible Pioneer 12X burner will
    >burn just about anything expensive to cheap w/o a problem and with
    >consistantly low PI/PO error rates, whereas a doggie burner like most of
    >the cheaper Optorite burners will only accept a small range of brands,
    >and even then, produce discs with very high PI/PO error rates (ie. burns
    >that have lots of errors and will cause problems on playback and reads
    >later on).
    >
    > ---
    >
    > the best combination here is to start off with a high-quality burner
    >(low PI/PO charts across the board), then use a good disc to ensure the
    >best burns and highest compatibility with lowest rates of data loss.

Tuner Cards Video DVD Writers Maxell Graphics