Is Maxell DVD-R media one of the best ?

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

I have heard Taiyo Yuden is one of the best, as well as Maxell.

I don't mind spending $1+ per disc if the quality is there.

I recently started converting some VHS to DVD. I bought some Memorex
Printable DVD-Rs in a 100 pack. After the 4GB mark, a lot of them start
freezing and breaking up and pixelating. This is unacceptable for what I am
doing, not to mention the problems this could cause with data !

I would like to avoid this by buying better media. So how about Maxell
DVD-R printables? Any opinions ?

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Oh yeah was also thinking about Verbatim printables.

Are Maxell and Verbatim in a different league than Ritek, Prodisc, Memorex,
etc...

In message <2ok5koFb6g2tU1@uni-berlin.de>
"ZigZag Master" <ZigZagSPAMMYMaster@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "ZigZag Master" <ZigZagSPAMMYMaster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have heard Taiyo Yuden is one of the best, as well as Maxell.
> >
> > I don't mind spending $1+ per disc if the quality is there.
> >
> > I recently started converting some VHS to DVD. I bought some Memorex
> > Printable DVD-Rs in a 100 pack. After the 4GB mark, a lot of them start
> > freezing and breaking up and pixelating. This is unacceptable for what I
> am
> > doing, not to mention the problems this could cause with data !
> >
> > I would like to avoid this by buying better media. So how about Maxell
> > DVD-R printables? Any opinions ?
> >

> Oh yeah was also thinking about Verbatim printables.
>
> Are Maxell and Verbatim in a different league than Ritek, Prodisc, Memorex,
> etc...

Well, funnily enough, I've been using only Maxell DVD-R discs for
sometime now.
Using DVDInfoPro:
The last lot that I bought in Jewel Cases have a media ID code of TYG01.
The latest lot (in DVD cases) have a media ID code of RITEKG04
Make of that what you will.

What I'd like to know is that if Maxell are using the Ritek or Taiyo
Yuden dye then what difference is there between Maxell discs and the
really cheap RiData discs which cost half as much.

I've shied away from cheap discs having suffered from a bad batch of
cheap Infiniti discs but now I wonder if I'm wasting my money.

Cheers!

--
Graham
The Main Control Room - www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Thanks Doc,

I was going to buy some 50PKs of Maxells Printable Whites.....Anyone know
what media codes those use....I thought Maxell would have MXLRG0x media
code....wierd.....according to:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

That would be one of the highest ranking types...

> Oh yeah was also thinking about Verbatim printables.
>
> Are Maxell and Verbatim in a different league than Ritek, Prodisc,
Memorex,
> etc...

Maxwell do not make discs, just rebadge them so god knows what you are going
to get.

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

>>Are Maxell and Verbatim in a different league than Ritek, Prodisc,
> Maxwell do not make discs, just rebadge them so god knows what you are going
> to get.

I don't believe so (see caveat). They're one of the first to make
DVD-R discs in Japan, and even today, their DVD-R discs are still made
in Japan and are one of the highest quality, highest performing discs in
existance today (so good, even Apple rebrands and sells them).

See www.cdrinfo.com and other test sites for the PI/PO error rate
charts of the Maxell DVD-R discs across a variety of burners to see how
well they do perform.

Now, on the other hand, their DVD+R discs are Taiwanese rebrands, so
they're definitely not made by Maxell, nor, IMO, based on PI/PO error
rate charts, as good of a pick as their DVD-R discs. I would avoid
Maxell's DVD+R discs, buy their DVD-R discs, and if going cheap, find a
good pack of Ritek DVD-R discs cheap.

--

Keep in mind that different burners accept different media, so
burners like the highly-rated and compatible Pioneer 12X burner will

---

the best combination here is to start off with a high-quality burner
(low PI/PO charts across the board), then use a good disc to ensure the
best burns and highest compatibility with lowest rates of data loss.

Archived from groups: alt.video.dvdr,rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Yeah but they're a good brand, a name you can trust :D

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 11:53:39 GMT, "Camper" <sezielaw@rocketmail.com>
wrote:

>Maxwell do not make discs, just rebadge them so god knows what you are going
>to get.

Office Depot has 2-for-1 specials of
Maxell DVD-R or DVD+R for US$60,
from 8-22 to 8-28.