Minidv keeps disappearing from WinXP and capture fails

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi group,

I got a minidv camcorder a while back and I just got some software so I can
capture and edit the video on my PC. I got a generic USB/Firewire PCI card.
The USB ports are working perfectly (for the past 6+ months?), but this is
the first time I've used the firewire port.

When I load up the software and connect the minidv via firewire cable, the
computer sees the camcorder and I start capturing the video. Then, about
half way through, the camcorder stops and the software locks up. For some
reason, my minidv is not seen anymore via the software or computer.

I have uninstalled the firewire card via device manager and let windows
rediscover it, only to have this happen again. It seems to see the camcorder
for a while, and then it doesn't.

Any idea what's happening here? Do I have a bad firewire port (I've tried
both) on the card?

I'm using WinXP and I've tried Ulead and Roxio software and both do the same
thing. My camcorder is a Sony TRV22.

Aaron

Sounds like you may be running in to file size problems. Are you using Fat32
or NTFS files system? Fat 32 may have size limitations, download AVI_IO from
http://www.nct.ch/multimedia/avi_io/index.html and try capturing in smaller
chunks, say 1Gb at a time.

"Aaron" <amheck@take_this_out_attglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi group,
>
> I got a minidv camcorder a while back and I just got some software so I
> can
> capture and edit the video on my PC. I got a generic USB/Firewire PCI
> card.
> The USB ports are working perfectly (for the past 6+ months?), but this is
> the first time I've used the firewire port.
>
> When I load up the software and connect the minidv via firewire cable, the
> computer sees the camcorder and I start capturing the video. Then, about
> half way through, the camcorder stops and the software locks up. For some
> reason, my minidv is not seen anymore via the software or computer.
>
> I have uninstalled the firewire card via device manager and let windows
> rediscover it, only to have this happen again. It seems to see the
> camcorder
> for a while, and then it doesn't.
>
> Any idea what's happening here? Do I have a bad firewire port (I've tried
> both) on the card?
>
> I'm using WinXP and I've tried Ulead and Roxio software and both do the
> same
> thing. My camcorder is a Sony TRV22.
>
> Aaron

Al

"Aaron" <amheck@take_this_out_attglobal.net> wrote in message
> Hi group,
>
> I got a minidv camcorder a while back and I just got some software so I
can
> capture and edit the video on my PC. I got a generic USB/Firewire PCI
card.
> The USB ports are working perfectly (for the past 6+ months?), but this is
> the first time I've used the firewire port.
>
> When I load up the software and connect the minidv via firewire cable, the
> computer sees the camcorder and I start capturing the video. Then, about
> half way through, the camcorder stops and the software locks up. For some
> reason, my minidv is not seen anymore via the software or computer.
>
> I have uninstalled the firewire card via device manager and let windows
> rediscover it, only to have this happen again. It seems to see the
camcorder
> for a while, and then it doesn't.
>
> Any idea what's happening here? Do I have a bad firewire port (I've tried
> both) on the card?
>
> I'm using WinXP and I've tried Ulead and Roxio software and both do the
same
> thing. My camcorder is a Sony TRV22.

I have two cheap, mail-order firewire cards that gave me nothing but
trouble. I finally walked over to Staples and bought a Maxtor, figuring if
it didn't work, I could easily return it. Worked like a charm.

I suggest you do something similar to see if it is your card or something
else.