Picking up unwanted networks

I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless card
is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the connection
and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3 other
networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card is
picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Chris
9 answers Last reply
More about picking unwanted networks

    change channel

    mike

    "Chris Oster" <Chris Oster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless
    card
    > is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the
    connection
    > and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3
    other
    > networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card is
    > picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    ---

    Tried that...same problem. My laptop (running XP Pro) doesn't have this
    problem at all, even when the two are in the same room. What causes XP to
    just drop the connection completely? It's a pain in the rear end, especially
    because I can't download everything if I can only keep a network connection
    for five minutes at a time.

    "mike" wrote:

    > change channel
    >
    > mike
    >
    > "Chris Oster" <Chris Oster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless
    > card
    > > is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the
    > connection
    > > and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3
    > other
    > > networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card is
    > > picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chris
    >

    > ---

    Did you ever get a reply other than from the guy that keeps suggesting
    "change channels"? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts.
    Thanks

    "Chris Oster" wrote:

    > I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless card
    > is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the connection
    > and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3 other
    > networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card is
    > picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Chris

    well what happened when you did change channel?
    the problem lies with signal strength i would suspect.
    how about trying one of the reflector adaptions that are on the net.

    mike

    "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Did you ever get a reply other than from the guy that keeps suggesting
    > "change channels"? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts.
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Chris Oster" wrote:
    >
    > > I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless
    card
    > > is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the
    connection
    > > and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3
    other
    > > networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card
    is
    > > picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Chris

    ---

    Mike - No difference moving to channel 1 from channel 6. Funny thing is,
    problem only came up last night (I've been on wireless for over 1 year). My
    son who's away at university and has a wireless router setup in his dorm room
    called last night and asked if I knew what was wrong because coincidentally
    he just had the exact same issue come up yesterday. His situation might be a
    little different as I'm sure there are numerous wireless routers in his
    residence, but what a coincidence that his problem comes up the same day as I
    encounter it at home (he's 300 miles away).

    Thanks for your response. ...Sandy

    "mike" wrote:

    > well what happened when you did change channel?
    > the problem lies with signal strength i would suspect.
    > how about trying one of the reflector adaptions that are on the net.
    >
    > mike
    >
    > "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Did you ever get a reply other than from the guy that keeps suggesting
    > > "change channels"? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me nuts.
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > "Chris Oster" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm running a NetGear DG834 router for my wireless network. My wireless
    > card
    > > > is picking up the router fine, but every few minutes it drops the
    > connection
    > > > and tells me there are other wireless networks available (there are 3
    > other
    > > > networks in other places in my apartment building that my wireless card
    > is
    > > > picking up). What can I do to fix this problem?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > > Chris
    >

    > ---

    not this poxy SP2 for winxp is it?
    causing alot of grief with wireless stuff.

    > Mike - No difference moving to channel 1 from channel 6. Funny thing is,
    > problem only came up last night (I've been on wireless for over 1 year).
    My
    > son who's away at university and has a wireless router setup in his dorm
    room
    > called last night and asked if I knew what was wrong because
    coincidentally
    > he just had the exact same issue come up yesterday. His situation might be
    > little different as I'm sure there are numerous wireless routers in his
    > residence, but what a coincidence that his problem comes up the same day
    as I
    > encounter it at home (he's 300 miles away).
    >
    > Thanks for your response. ...Sandy
    >
    > "mike" wrote:
    >
    > > well what happened when you did change channel?
    > > the problem lies with signal strength i would suspect.
    > > how about trying one of the reflector adaptions that are on the net.
    > >
    > > mike
    > >
    > > "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Did you ever get a reply other than from the guy that keeps suggesting
    > > > "change channels"? I'm having the same problem and it's driving me
    nuts.
    > > > Thanks

    > > card
    > > connection
    > > other
    > > is

    > > ---

    ---
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Nope...don't have SP2. I did manage to figure it out, though...I had the
    Windows firewall turned on for this connection. Turn off the firewall, and
    the connection is totally solid. Haven't had any problems since then.

    "mike" wrote:

    > not this poxy SP2 for winxp is it?
    > causing alot of grief with wireless stuff.
    > mike
    >
    > "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Mike - No difference moving to channel 1 from channel 6. Funny thing is,
    > > problem only came up last night (I've been on wireless for over 1 year).
    > My
    > > son who's away at university and has a wireless router setup in his dorm
    > room
    > > called last night and asked if I knew what was wrong because
    > coincidentally
    > > he just had the exact same issue come up yesterday. His situation might be
    > > little different as I'm sure there are numerous wireless routers in his
    > > residence, but what a coincidence that his problem comes up the same day
    > as I
    > > encounter it at home (he's 300 miles away).
    > >
    > > Thanks for your response. ...Sandy
    > >
    > > "mike" wrote:
    > >
    > > > well what happened when you did change channel?
    > > > the problem lies with signal strength i would suspect.
    > > > how about trying one of the reflector adaptions that are on the net.
    > > >
    > > > mike
    > > >
    > > > "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > nuts.

    > wireless
    > > > card
    > > > connection
    > 3
    > > > other
    > card
    > > > is

    > > > ---
    > > >

    > ---

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    that's nice, well enter the details of the ip in the trusted zones or WHY
    see if that works.

    > Nope...don't have SP2. I did manage to figure it out, though...I had the
    > Windows firewall turned on for this connection. Turn off the firewall,
    and
    > the connection is totally solid. Haven't had any problems since then.
    >
    > "mike" wrote:
    >
    > > not this poxy SP2 for winxp is it?
    > > causing alot of grief with wireless stuff.
    > > mike
    > >
    > > "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Mike - No difference moving to channel 1 from channel 6. Funny thing
    is,
    > > > problem only came up last night (I've been on wireless for over 1
    year).
    > > My
    > > > son who's away at university and has a wireless router setup in his
    dorm
    > > room
    > > > called last night and asked if I knew what was wrong because
    > > coincidentally
    > > > he just had the exact same issue come up yesterday. His situation
    might be
    > > > little different as I'm sure there are numerous wireless routers in
    his
    > > > residence, but what a coincidence that his problem comes up the same
    day
    > > as I
    > > > encounter it at home (he's 300 miles away).
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your response. ...Sandy

    > > nuts.

    > > wireless
    > > 3
    > > card

    > > ---

    ---
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Dumb question - how do I turn off Windows firewall?

    "Chris Oster" wrote:

    > Nope...don't have SP2. I did manage to figure it out, though...I had the
    > Windows firewall turned on for this connection. Turn off the firewall, and
    > the connection is totally solid. Haven't had any problems since then.
    >
    > "mike" wrote:
    >
    > > not this poxy SP2 for winxp is it?
    > > causing alot of grief with wireless stuff.
    > > mike
    > >
    > > "Sandy" <Sandy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Mike - No difference moving to channel 1 from channel 6. Funny thing is,
    > > > problem only came up last night (I've been on wireless for over 1 year).
    > > My
    > > > son who's away at university and has a wireless router setup in his dorm
    > > room
    > > > called last night and asked if I knew what was wrong because
    > > coincidentally
    > > > he just had the exact same issue come up yesterday. His situation might be
    > > > little different as I'm sure there are numerous wireless routers in his
    > > > residence, but what a coincidence that his problem comes up the same day
    > > as I
    > > > encounter it at home (he's 300 miles away).
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for your response. ...Sandy

    > > nuts.

    > > wireless
    > > 3
    > > card

    > > ---

Wireless Routers Wireless Network Networking Microsoft Wireless Networking