Question about typical Laser Disc VBR

Hello R.V.D,

I've done some googling but haven't been able to find a satisfactory
answer. Does anyone know the typical video bit rate of a Laser Disc?

I wish to capture some LD's to my standalone Liteon 5005 DVD burner for DVD
archival purposes and have a choice of speed/bitrates to record at.

1 hour mode is 9.5 Mbps and 2 hour mode records at 5.1 Mbps.

I don't mind recording at the hightest VBR possible, I can always use
DVDshrink or something to compress the finished DVD before burning.

Any info would be welcome.

TIA!

Archiver

"Archiver" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Hello R.V.D,
>

> I've done some googling but haven't been able to find a satisfactory
> answer. Does anyone know the typical video bit rate of a Laser Disc?
>
> I wish to capture some LD's to my standalone Liteon 5005 DVD burner for
DVD
> archival purposes and have a choice of speed/bitrates to record at.
>
> 1 hour mode is 9.5 Mbps and 2 hour mode records at 5.1 Mbps.
>
> I don't mind recording at the hightest VBR possible, I can always use
> DVDshrink or something to compress the finished DVD before burning.
>
> Any info would be welcome.
>

> TIA!
>

> Archiver

Basically the output of a LaserDisk player is the same
analog signal as is available from any S-Video connection.
/Ken

"Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:41261e8f$0$5430$a32e20b9
@news.nntpservers.com:

> "Archiver" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> Hello R.V.D,
>>

>> I've done some googling but haven't been able to find a satisfactory
>> answer. Does anyone know the typical video bit rate of a Laser Disc?
>>
>> I wish to capture some LD's to my standalone Liteon 5005 DVD burner for
> DVD
>> archival purposes and have a choice of speed/bitrates to record at.
>>
>> 1 hour mode is 9.5 Mbps and 2 hour mode records at 5.1 Mbps.
>>
>> I don't mind recording at the hightest VBR possible, I can always use
>> DVDshrink or something to compress the finished DVD before burning.
>>
>> Any info would be welcome.
>>

>> TIA!
>>

>> Archiver
>
> Basically the output of a LaserDisk player is the same
> analog signal as is available from any S-Video connection.
> /Ken

Well it is a bit better than any other S-VHS source AFAIK.

What I meant was, what data rate do I need to capture at to retain the full
quality of the picture. I'm guessing 5.1Mbps will do, but I'm not sure.

> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
> @news.nntpservers.com:
>

> > "Archiver" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >> Hello R.V.D,
> >>

> >> I've done some googling but haven't been able to find a satisfactory
> >> answer. Does anyone know the typical video bit rate of a Laser Disc?
> >>
> >> I wish to capture some LD's to my standalone Liteon 5005 DVD burner for
> > DVD
> >> archival purposes and have a choice of speed/bitrates to record at.
> >>
> >> 1 hour mode is 9.5 Mbps and 2 hour mode records at 5.1 Mbps.
> >>
> >> I don't mind recording at the hightest VBR possible, I can always use
> >> DVDshrink or something to compress the finished DVD before burning.
> >>
> >> Any info would be welcome.
> >>

> >> TIA!
> >>

> >> Archiver
> >
> > Basically the output of a LaserDisk player is the same
> > analog signal as is available from any S-Video connection.
> > /Ken
> >

> Well it is a bit better than any other S-VHS source AFAIK.
>
> What I meant was, what data rate do I need to capture at to retain the
full
> quality of the picture. I'm guessing 5.1Mbps will do, but I'm not sure.
>

> Archiver

While I have and occasionally play Laserdisks, I've only captured
a couple of them to my PC. As an analog source it's not any better
than what I get off my DirecTiVo unit or what I used to get from a
cable box.

The selection of capture parameters can be somewhat subjective,
and depend on several trade-offs. The following little utility has a
calculator that can provide a "bit/pixel" number and a green, yellow,
red rating; based on what parameters you enter. It also does this
for the aspect ratio. It's called "Aspect" and you can find it here:
http://www.geocities.com/vestadomain/videoutils.html

Not knowing your setup; the capture hardware and software
you are using, and the capabilities of your system in detail; I have
no way of estimating your chances of success for any particular
set of parameters used.

Luck;

> "Archiver" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
>> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
>> @news.nntpservers.com:
>>

>> > "Archiver" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> > DVD

>> > Basically the output of a LaserDisk player is the same
>> > analog signal as is available from any S-Video connection.
>> > /Ken
>> >

>> Well it is a bit better than any other S-VHS source AFAIK.
>>
>> What I meant was, what data rate do I need to capture at to retain
>> the
> full
>> quality of the picture. I'm guessing 5.1Mbps will do, but I'm not
>> sure.
>>

>> Archiver
>>

> While I have and occasionally play Laserdisks, I've only captured
> a couple of them to my PC. As an analog source it's not any better
> than what I get off my DirecTiVo unit or what I used to get from a
> cable box.
>
> The selection of capture parameters can be somewhat subjective,
> and depend on several trade-offs. The following little utility has a
> calculator that can provide a "bit/pixel" number and a green, yellow,
> red rating; based on what parameters you enter. It also does this
> for the aspect ratio. It's called "Aspect" and you can find it here:
> http://www.geocities.com/vestadomain/videoutils.html
>
> Not knowing your setup; the capture hardware and software
> you are using, and the capabilities of your system in detail; I have
> no way of estimating your chances of success for any particular
> set of parameters used.
>
> Luck;
> Ken

Thanks Ken!

I'll grab the utility and see if I can figure out all the parameters it
needs.

The capture is quite easy, I use a Liteon standalone video recorder, much
easier and faster than messing around with a PC capture card. The only
decision really is what VBR to capture at.

I just rip the VOB's off the recorded DVD+RW with DVD Decrypter and re-
author with TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVD Architect.

BTW - thanks for trumpeting the NEC 2510 a while back, I was in need of a
DVD burner at the time and didn't know you could buy a good drive at that
cheap of a price at Newegg.

Archiver

Archiver wrote:

> I've done some googling but haven't been able to find a
> satisfactory answer. Does anyone know the typical video
> bit rate of a Laser Disc?

There is no "bit rate" for Laser Discs. Laser Discs are an
analog medium.

See <http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/laser-disc>.

--
znark

"Jukka Aho" <jukka.aho@iki.fi> wrote in message
> Archiver wrote:
>
> > I've done some googling but haven't been able to find a
> > satisfactory answer. Does anyone know the typical video
> > bit rate of a Laser Disc?
>
> There is no "bit rate" for Laser Discs. Laser Discs are an
> analog medium.
>
> See <http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/laser-disc>.

That is correct. Lazerdisc are an analog format. Toward the end,
they did produce some disc with digital audio tracks, and there
were limited capabilities to store small amounts of digital information
to be used for interactive programming, but the video and most of
the audio was pure analog.They have what they called CAV and CLV.

CAV stood for Constant Angular Velocity. With this format there
was one frame per rotation. That way they could produce good stills
and give the ability to search and shuttle. Unfortunately, you could only
get a half hour on a side using this format so it was mostly used for
training and other interactive uses.

CLV was referred to as Crippled Laser Vision, but really stood for
Constant linear Velocity. In this scheme the disc was encoded as
a single track that spiraled from one end of the disc to the other.
Since a spiral track covers more territory per revolution at the edge
of the disc than it does near the center. By altering the rotational
speed as the track moved across the disc they could cram an hour
of video on a disc, but it killed the nice interactive features mentioned
above for CAV disc.

Laser disc could provide pretty good video quality, but the half hour
limit of CAV was totally useless for movies, but movies were what
the marketing people wanted to deliver. CLV was used for movies
but you had to get up in the middle to turn over the disc in the middle
of every movie, and longer movies even required a disc change.

The format was a cool format and provided some nice capabilities
for interactive programming, but each manufacturer implemented their
interactive features in different ways so you had to target specific players
if you wanted to use any interactivity.

I worked on a couple of the early interactive disc for consumers. The
game needed to have the video freeze on a text screen at the end of
each chapter. Some machines would not do a chapter stop unless the
frame counter was on screen, so we had to put a little message near
the end of each chapter to remind them to activate this feature.

Sad really.

David