Clip/crop in TMPGEnc does not work

Archived from groups: alt.video.divx,rec.video.desktop,comp.os.ms-windows.video,alt.multimedia.mpeg,comp.multimedia (More info?)

When I load a mpeg-1 video into TMPGEnc v2.521 (352x288, 25fps) and click
Settings->Advanced->ClipFrame I have the option to crop the black borders of this video.

I adjust the Top/Bottom/Left/Right pixel sizes for this crop just as there are no
black frames displayed in the preview pane above.

Top/Bottom: 48
Left/Right: 8

Then I clicked ok and started the conversion. Much to my surprise the resulting video
still contains black bands at the top and the bottom although they seemed to be small than in the
original video. At the right/left there are no more black bands.

However at the preview I did not saw any black panes.

Why does TMPGEnc do not recognize my settings ?

Mike

martin

"Mike Kleiber" <mkleib@email.com> wrote in message
> When I load a mpeg-1 video into TMPGEnc v2.521 (352x288, 25fps) and click
> Settings->Advanced->ClipFrame I have the option to crop the black borders
of this video.

> I adjust the Top/Bottom/Left/Right pixel sizes for this crop just as there
are no
> black frames displayed in the preview pane above.
>
> Top/Bottom: 48
> Left/Right: 8
>
> Then I clicked ok and started the conversion. Much to my surprise the
resulting video
> still contains black bands at the top and the bottom although they seemed
to be small than in the
> original video. At the right/left there are no more black bands.
>
> However at the preview I did not saw any black panes.
>
> Why does TMPGEnc do not recognize my settings ?
>
> Mike

Set the clipping as you want then go to the Arrange setting options.
Switch between 'Full screen (keep aspect ratio)' and 'Full screen'.

Is this the difference that you're seeing once the video is encoded?

I first use the 'Full screen' setting then set the clipping as i desire,
then i select the 'Full screen (keep aspect ratio)'.
Generally i still get a black mask on the encoded video but that depends
upon the aspect ratio of the clipped video to the aspect ratio that you are
encoding to.

Hope you can follow this.

Martin.

:)

"Martin" <zedolf@o2.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Mike Kleiber" <mkleib@email.com> wrote in message
> > When I load a mpeg-1 video into TMPGEnc v2.521 (352x288, 25fps) and
click
> > Settings->Advanced->ClipFrame I have the option to crop the black
borders
> of this video.
> >
> > I adjust the Top/Bottom/Left/Right pixel sizes for this crop just as
there
> are no
> > black frames displayed in the preview pane above.
> >
> > Top/Bottom: 48
> > Left/Right: 8
> >
> > Then I clicked ok and started the conversion. Much to my surprise the
> resulting video
> > still contains black bands at the top and the bottom although they
seemed
> to be small than in the
> > original video. At the right/left there are no more black bands.
> >
> > However at the preview I did not saw any black panes.
> >
> > Why does TMPGEnc do not recognize my settings ?
> >
> > Mike

> Set the clipping as you want then go to the Arrange setting options.
> Switch between 'Full screen (keep aspect ratio)' and 'Full screen'.
>
> Is this the difference that you're seeing once the video is encoded?
>
> I first use the 'Full screen' setting then set the clipping as i desire,
> then i select the 'Full screen (keep aspect ratio)'.
> Generally i still get a black mask on the encoded video but that depends
> upon the aspect ratio of the clipped video to the aspect ratio that you
are
> encoding to.
>
> Hope you can follow this.
>
> Martin.
>
> :)

There is a small program called "Aspect" that has a
similar feature, it can be very useful for establishing the
best parameters to use. It has several other useful
features, including a neat size/bitrate/quality(bits/pixel)
calculator.

This link might still work:

http://www.geocities.com/vestadomain/videoutils.html

Luck;