Remote Desktop through NAT?

I can connect through a cable/DSL router with NAT by forwarding port
3389 to the computer I want to connect to. However, this only works
for one computer.

Suppose I have several users who want to connect to their office PC's
at the same time? Is there a way to tell Remote Desktop to use a
different port? Is there any other way to handle this situation?

Note that the machines behind the NAT router use static IP addresses
and the network has no DHCP or DNS server.
--
Bill
2 answers Last reply

    Yes, but you'd have to manually configure every client and every workstation. You could get WTSGateway from terminal-services.net which acts as a router for RDP traffic allowing users to connect to any terminal server/remote desktop host by only exposing one port to the Public Internet.

    Info here:
    http://www.workthin.com/tsao.htm

    How to Change the Listening Port for Remote Desktop
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306759

    Configuring the Remote Desktop Client to Connect to a Specific Port
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304304

    Patrick Rouse
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    http://www.workthin.com

    ----- Bill Todd wrote: -----

    I can connect through a cable/DSL router with NAT by forwarding port
    3389 to the computer I want to connect to. However, this only works
    for one computer.

    Suppose I have several users who want to connect to their office PC's
    at the same time? Is there a way to tell Remote Desktop to use a
    different port? Is there any other way to handle this situation?

    Note that the machines behind the NAT router use static IP addresses
    and the network has no DHCP or DNS server.
    --
    Bill

    You can forward additional ports to the additional machines (long and
    convoluted) - see
    http://members.cox.net/ajarvi/RemoteDesktop/Multiple_PC_RD.html for
    more information on how to do this.

    or

    You can setup a VPN and allow people to access their machines without
    doing this port forwarding.

    See http://onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm and
    http://onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm for more information.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:46:31 -0700, Bill Todd <no@no.com> wrote:

    >I can connect through a cable/DSL router with NAT by forwarding port
    >3389 to the computer I want to connect to. However, this only works
    >for one computer.
    >
    >Suppose I have several users who want to connect to their office PC's
    >at the same time? Is there a way to tell Remote Desktop to use a
    >different port? Is there any other way to handle this situation?
    >
    >Note that the machines behind the NAT router use static IP addresses
    >and the network has no DHCP or DNS server.

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP