Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

VPN Error 733 (Yes, I have tried solutions in other posts)

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 20, 2004 12:01:05 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I am getting Error 733 when trying to make a VPN connection to a Windows XP Pro machine using tcp/ip.

I am trying to connect from a client that is behind the same router, so I know it is not an issue of not having ports properly fowarded.

I have TCP/IP binded to both the VPN Server and Cleint.

I can connect using IPX, but some of the computers I will want to connect from don't have this prototcol installed.

Any help greatly appreciated.
April 20, 2004 1:41:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:01:05 -0700, "=?Utf-8?B?QWFyb24=?="
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am getting Error 733 when trying to make a VPN connection to a Windows XP Pro machine using tcp/ip.

You are likely experiencing a firewall problem. That's what caused
that error when I last ran into it.

You cannot simply close the firewall GUI - you must disable the
firwall thru the GUI. Use "msconfig" to remove it from startup. Look
in the process table to see if anything associated with a firewall is
running. My associate had to just about gut his machine to get the VPN
to work.

--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett
Anonymous
April 20, 2004 4:32:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Have you look at the following KB articles?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;168720
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;177648

--

Thanks
Sharoon
sharoons@online.microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Aaron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:44D8AED2-4C36-4371-A659-5BB9B8FF8113@microsoft.com...
> I am getting Error 733 when trying to make a VPN connection to a Windows
XP Pro machine using tcp/ip.
>
> I am trying to connect from a client that is behind the same router, so I
know it is not an issue of not having ports properly fowarded.
>
> I have TCP/IP binded to both the VPN Server and Cleint.
>
> I can connect using IPX, but some of the computers I will want to connect
from don't have this prototcol installed.
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 4:57:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

Thank you for pointing me to those KB articles.

I'm using Win XP Pro and not Win 2000, and can't find the
RAS settings, or a place to specify or enable a DHCP
server (I use my router as a DHCP server).

I also don't have a software firewall (Windows Firewall
is off, no Zone Alarm, etc.) running on either of the
machines.

FWIW, I have set my router to foward ports as follows
(192.168.0.100 is reserved for my "VPN gateway", a Win XP
Pro machine, and automatically assined to it by the
router).

Service Start Port End Port Server IP
GRE 47 47 192.168.0.100
IPSec 500 500 192.168.0.100
L2TP 1701 1701 192.168.0.100
PPTP 1723 1723 192.168.0.100


Thanks for any further assistence.


>-----Original Message-----
>Have you look at the following KB articles?
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
us;168720
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-
us;177648
>
>--
>
>Thanks
>Sharoon
>sharoons@online.microsoft.com
>
>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.
>
>"Aaron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
>news:44D8AED2-4C36-4371-A659-
5BB9B8FF8113@microsoft.com...
>> I am getting Error 733 when trying to make a VPN
connection to a Windows
>XP Pro machine using tcp/ip.
>>
>> I am trying to connect from a client that is behind
the same router, so I
>know it is not an issue of not having ports properly
fowarded.
>>
>> I have TCP/IP binded to both the VPN Server and Cleint.
>>
>> I can connect using IPX, but some of the computers I
will want to connect
>from don't have this prototcol installed.
>>
>> Any help greatly appreciated.
>
>
>.
>
April 21, 2004 4:53:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:57:25 -0700,
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you for pointing me to those KB articles.

>I'm using Win XP Pro and not Win 2000, and can't find the
>RAS settings, or a place to specify or enable a DHCP
>server (I use my router as a DHCP server).

I assume your network is set up as peer-to-peer. If not, then you will
benefit from the others who know how to set up domain controllers.

Your router is the LAN DHCP server for the machines on the LAN that
request addresses. If you are going to forward any ports, e.g., the
VPN machine, then you must make that a static address. That's how
forwarding works.

>FWIW, I have set my router to foward ports as follows
>(192.168.0.100 is reserved for my "VPN gateway", a Win XP
>Pro machine, and automatically assined to it by the
>router).

What does this mean? I may have missed something in the beginning. Are
you saying that your router is the VPN appliance?

In Windows PPTP VPN, the software assigns the VPN Server address.

>Service Start Port End Port Server IP
>GRE 47 47 192.168.0.100

GRE is not a port. It is a PROTOCOL. There is no port 47.

Assuming your router is not the VPN appliance, you will need to find
out if your router has "PPTP Passthru" and enable it.

>IPSec 500 500 192.168.0.100
>L2TP 1701 1701 192.168.0.100
>PPTP 1723 1723 192.168.0.100

Which VPN do you want to run? I assumed PPTP. If so, then why are you
fooling with IPSec ports.

Forward port 1723 and Pass GRE. That's all there is to setting up the
router for PPTP VPN.

I recommend you do some more studying about this topic, because I
detect some elements of confusion which happens to anyone new to VPNs.
We all had to pay a price once to figure this stuff out. You can get
some very well written books from Microsoft Press on XP Networking.

Microsoft Windows XP Networking Inside Out
by Curt Simmons (Author), James Causey
Paperback: 800 pages
Publisher: Microsoft Press; 1st edition (October 16, 2002)
ISBN: 0735616523

From Book News, Inc.
This guide to Microsoft's operating system describes its use as a
computer networking tool. Chapters cover protocol configuration,
network connections, and the connection firewall; advanced features of
Explorer, Outlook Express, and Messenger; workgroup connections;
domain connectivity; file system selection; remote desktop and remote
assistance; virtual private networking; wireless networking; network
security; and performance monitoring.


--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett
!