Will Premiere Pro output to 720p HD???

Does anyone know if Premiere Pro 1.5 can output to 720p? I am thinking of
buying a JVC HD camcorder that can record at 720p, but I want to make sure I can
edit and output to DVD-DL at 720p as well.

Also, what codecs will PP allow me to encode to 720p.....like WMV-HD 9 and Divx?
12 answers Last reply
More about will premiere output 720p

    On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:17:20 -0400, "TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote:
    >Does anyone know if Premiere Pro 1.5 can output to 720p? I am thinking of
    >buying a JVC HD camcorder that can record at 720p, but I want to make sure I can
    >edit and output to DVD-DL at 720p as well.
    >Also, what codecs will PP allow me to encode to 720p.....like WMV-HD 9 and Divx?

    There is a special forum just for Pro... you might check there
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de9c1bf

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    John,
    Does that mean just because Premiere pro has it's own forum, people who use
    it or do other video work should only seek the advice of others only in that
    forum?
    It is still a desktop video related question and is not off topic.
    I find it annoying that everytime I read a Premiere question and see it has
    a reply, then when I read the reply, it's usually someone telling the person
    that there is a separate adobe run forum to ask at and never a reply to the
    question itself.

    While it might sound helpful to inform people about their other options,
    after a while it gets annoying to always see that instead of a reply when
    reading through questions.
    If there was no reply, I wouldn't have wasted my time downloading and
    reading the question to begin with.
    I find I learn a lot by reading questions that already contain answers
    (replies) but I get fooled a lot with the helpful, go to adobe ones.
    Anyway, just my opinion I wanted to express.
    Thanks for listening, :)

    AnthonyR

    "John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:17:20 -0400, "TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote:
    >>Does anyone know if Premiere Pro 1.5 can output to 720p? I am thinking of
    >>buying a JVC HD camcorder that can record at 720p, but I want to make sure
    >>I can
    >>edit and output to DVD-DL at 720p as well.
    >>Also, what codecs will PP allow me to encode to 720p.....like WMV-HD 9 and
    >>Divx?
    >
    > There is a special forum just for Pro... you might check there
    > http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de9c1bf
    >
    > John Thomas Smith
    > http://www.direct2usales.com
    > http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    MainConcept has an MPEG Pro HD Plugin for Premiere Pro that allows you
    to edit in Native MPEG format and output HD without having to
    transcode. You can download a free demo version.

    http://www.mainconcept.com/mpeg_pro.shtml

    "TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote in message news:<5vudnaEiwuCB07vcRVn-iA@comcast.com>...
    > Does anyone know if Premiere Pro 1.5 can output to 720p? I am thinking of
    > buying a JVC HD camcorder that can record at 720p, but I want to make sure I can
    > edit and output to DVD-DL at 720p as well.
    >
    > Also, what codecs will PP allow me to encode to 720p.....like WMV-HD 9 and Divx?

    I could be wrong on this, but I don't think the problem is "outputting to 720P,"
    the problem is working with 720P HD video files to get your edited movie. These
    files are MPEG HD compressed files that don't edit easily. I'm not saying
    Premiere Pro can't edit HD, but from what I've been reading in DV magazine,
    there aren't too many, if any, consumer level HD editing programs.

    "TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote in message news:5vudnaEiwuCB07vcRVn-iA@comcast.com...
    > Does anyone know if Premiere Pro 1.5 can output to 720p? I am thinking of
    > buying a JVC HD camcorder that can record at 720p, but I want to make sure I
    can
    > edit and output to DVD-DL at 720p as well.
    >
    > Also, what codecs will PP allow me to encode to 720p.....like WMV-HD 9 and
    Divx?

    Vegas can handle the signal from that camera and output it as well. As a
    matter of fact, it's capable of outputting up to a 1080-24p/30p/60i signal.
    It outputs WMV-9 as well so an HD signal is no problem.

    Mike

    SimMike- wrote:
    > I could be wrong on this, but I don't think the problem is
    > "outputting to 720P," the problem is working with 720P HD video files
    > to get your edited movie. These files are MPEG HD compressed files
    > that don't edit easily. I'm not saying Premiere Pro can't edit HD,
    > but from what I've been reading in DV magazine, there aren't too
    > many, if any, consumer level HD editing programs.
    >
    > "TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote in message
    >> Does anyone know if Premiere Pro 1.5 can output to 720p? I am
    >> thinking of buying a JVC HD camcorder that can record at 720p, but I
    >> want to make sure I can edit and output to DVD-DL at 720p as well.
    >>
    >> Also, what codecs will PP allow me to encode to 720p.....like WMV-HD
    >> 9 and Divx?

    I totally agree with you Anthony. I constantly see this same exact
    reply to Premiere related questions, and get very annoyed by it.

    John, .. I'm not in any way insinuating that you're not trying to be
    helpful, and it's likely that you're not the only person who is
    posting responses like this. But really, now that I see that other
    people in this group feel the same way I do, I'm not the least bit
    ashamed to tell you that you're wasting bandwidth and people's time by
    positng dead end responses like that. Try as you may, but you are not
    going to steer Adobe Premeire Pro users away from this newsgroup by
    continually driving the same message home. Most of us are already well
    aware of the Adobe forum, yet opt to get our questions answered here
    instead. In other words, .. we like THIS newsgroup, not the Adobe one
    :)

    - yvan

    "AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message news:<SPwVc.2112$Ot3.1729@twister.nyc.rr.com>...
    > John,
    > Does that mean just because Premiere pro has it's own forum, people who use
    > it or do other video work should only seek the advice of others only in that
    > forum?
    > It is still a desktop video related question and is not off topic.
    > I find it annoying that everytime I read a Premiere question and see it has
    > a reply, then when I read the reply, it's usually someone telling the person
    > that there is a separate adobe run forum to ask at and never a reply to the
    > question itself.
    >
    > While it might sound helpful to inform people about their other options,
    > after a while it gets annoying to always see that instead of a reply when
    > reading through questions.
    > If there was no reply, I wouldn't have wasted my time downloading and
    > reading the question to begin with.
    > I find I learn a lot by reading questions that already contain answers
    > (replies) but I get fooled a lot with the helpful, go to adobe ones.
    > Anyway, just my opinion I wanted to express.
    > Thanks for listening, :)
    >
    > AnthonyR
    >

    > "John Thomas Smith" <jtsmith@pacifier.com> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:17:20 -0400, "TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote:
    > >>Does anyone know if Premiere Pro 1.5 can output to 720p? I am thinking of
    > >>buying a JVC HD camcorder that can record at 720p, but I want to make sure
    > >>I can
    > >>edit and output to DVD-DL at 720p as well.
    > >>Also, what codecs will PP allow me to encode to 720p.....like WMV-HD 9 and
    > >>Divx?
    > >
    > > There is a special forum just for Pro... you might check there
    > > http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de9c1bf
    > >
    > > John Thomas Smith
    > > http://www.direct2usales.com
    > > http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    AWESOME. Now I have to get an HD camera. One thing about editing in HD is you
    will still have trouble distributing this to people. The good news is that the
    much higher quality of the finished HD video, over standard mini DV video, means
    you can make mush better standard DVDs.

    I've always been disappointed in mini DV output to DVD. It wasn't bad, just not
    anywhere near as good as commercial DVDs. As an experiment, I downloaded some
    WMV HD video and converted this to DVD format using the exact same method I used
    for mini DV to DVD. The resulting DVD was fantastic. Certainly not HD quality,
    but considerably better than the other stuff.

    So the good news is, even without HD DVD disks, you can still output good DVDs.

    If I was going to start up my video business again, my first purchase would be
    two good quality HD cameras.

    "SimMike-" <simmike@attbi.com> wrote in message
    > I could be wrong on this, but I don't think the problem is "outputting to
    720P,"
    > the problem is working with 720P HD video files to get your edited movie.
    These
    > files are MPEG HD compressed files that don't edit easily. I'm not saying
    > Premiere Pro can't edit HD, but from what I've been reading in DV
    magazine,
    > there aren't too many, if any, consumer level HD editing programs.
    >
    > "TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote in message
    > > Does anyone know if Premiere Pro 1.5 can output to 720p? I am thinking
    of
    > > buying a JVC HD camcorder that can record at 720p, but I want to make
    sure I
    > can
    > > edit and output to DVD-DL at 720p as well.
    > >
    > > Also, what codecs will PP allow me to encode to 720p.....like WMV-HD 9
    and
    > Divx?

    How about uncompressed NTSC?
    I need to do some simple editing of NTSC uncompressed.
    I don't have to actually see the footage play, which seems impossible with
    current hardware.
    It would be enough simply to cue to the frame, determined by viewing
    stills, make the edit, and export it back out as uncompressed.

    Can either Premiere or Vegas 5 do this?

    "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > "SimMike-" <simmike@attbi.com> wrote in message
    > > I could be wrong on this, but I don't think the problem is "outputting
    > 720P,"
    > > the problem is working with 720P HD video files to get your edited
    movie.
    > These
    > > files are MPEG HD compressed files that don't edit easily. I'm not
    saying
    > > Premiere Pro can't edit HD, but from what I've been reading in DV
    > magazine,
    > > there aren't too many, if any, consumer level HD editing programs.
    > >
    > > "TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote in message
    > > > Does anyone know if Premiere Pro 1.5 can output to 720p? I am
    thinking
    > of
    > > > buying a JVC HD camcorder that can record at 720p, but I want to make
    > sure I
    > > can
    > > > edit and output to DVD-DL at 720p as well.
    > > >
    > > > Also, what codecs will PP allow me to encode to 720p.....like WMV-HD 9
    > and
    > > Divx?
    > > >
    > How about uncompressed NTSC?
    > I need to do some simple editing of NTSC uncompressed.
    > I don't have to actually see the footage play, which seems impossible with
    > current hardware.
    > It would be enough simply to cue to the frame, determined by viewing
    > stills, make the edit, and export it back out as uncompressed.
    >
    > Can either Premiere or Vegas 5 do this?

    Theoretically, any of the main-line edit applications can edit (and even
    preview) ANY video encoding, given the appropriate codec. In what
    form are you getting this uncompressed NTSC? What codec did they
    use to encode it with?

    If you are capturing it from analog yourself, you need a capture board
    capable of uncompressed sampling (don't expect to find it at your local
    computer shop.) The Huffyuv codec appears to be the favorite
    uncompressed video codec. And it is free last time I checked. Of
    course you need a pristine source to justify the enormous disk space.
    No typical consumer tape format is worthy of Huffyuv, IMHO.
    Even DV is pre-compressed 5:1 before you ever see it.

    > "Robert Morein" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "SimMike-" <simmike@attbi.com> wrote in message
    > > > I could be wrong on this, but I don't think the problem is "outputting
    > > 720P,"
    > > > the problem is working with 720P HD video files to get your edited
    > movie.
    > > These
    > > > files are MPEG HD compressed files that don't edit easily. I'm not
    > saying
    > > > Premiere Pro can't edit HD, but from what I've been reading in DV
    > > magazine,
    > > > there aren't too many, if any, consumer level HD editing programs.
    > > >
    > > > "TJM" <tjm@nospam> wrote in message
    > thinking
    > > of
    > > sure I
    > > > can

    > > and
    > > > Divx?
    > > > >
    > > How about uncompressed NTSC?
    > > I need to do some simple editing of NTSC uncompressed.
    > > I don't have to actually see the footage play, which seems impossible
    with
    > > current hardware.
    > > It would be enough simply to cue to the frame, determined by viewing
    > > stills, make the edit, and export it back out as uncompressed.
    > >
    > > Can either Premiere or Vegas 5 do this?
    >
    > Theoretically, any of the main-line edit applications can edit (and even
    > preview) ANY video encoding, given the appropriate codec.

    The one I am fluent with, Avid Express Pro, cannot. Are you sure that Vegas
    has the same versatility with codecs that Premiere has?
    Also, can you confirm what I suspect, which is that none of these software
    based systems has the ability to play uncompressed in the monitor window? Or
    do they have some sneaky "render-and-view" option?

    In what
    > form are you getting this uncompressed NTSC? What codec did they
    > use to encode it with?

    It comes as a Quicktime "uncompressed." I do not know the codec used, but it
    is accepted for import by Avid Pro, and by the various mpeg encoder
    programs.

    > If you are capturing it from analog yourself, you need a capture board
    > capable of uncompressed sampling (don't expect to find it at your local
    > computer shop.)

    That's all taken care of. The material is raw footage for a professional
    cinematographer's reel. Nothing less than a lab transfer would be acceptable
    for this purpose. The D.P.'s work is of exceptional quality, and he has
    received favorable mention at Sundance.

    The Huffyuv codec appears to be the favorite
    > uncompressed video codec. And it is free last time I checked.

    Would be most appreciative if you could give me a download link.

    >Of
    > course you need a pristine source to justify the enormous disk space.
    > No typical consumer tape format is worthy of Huffyuv, IMHO.
    > Even DV is pre-compressed 5:1 before you ever see it.

    The material is on Betacam SP. All I can tell you is that in NY, the
    accepted post-path for a D.P.'s reel, for film originated material, is 10
    bit uncompressed. I am assured that if I were to import it into Avid Pro,
    the result on DVD would not be as good.

    The cinematographer's reel has severe problems that occurred in post
    mishandling, seemingly caused by frame reversal combined with misapplication
    of 3:2 and the inverse. I have volunteered to fix by inserting replacement
    material direct from new digital transfers.

    Robert Morein wrote:
    >>> How about uncompressed NTSC?
    >>> I need to do some simple editing of NTSC uncompressed.
    >>> I don't have to actually see the footage play, which seems
    >>> impossible with current hardware.
    >>> It would be enough simply to cue to the frame, determined by
    >>> viewing stills, make the edit, and export it back out as
    >>> uncompressed.
    >>>
    >>> Can either Premiere or Vegas 5 do this?
    >>
    >> Theoretically, any of the main-line edit applications can edit (and
    >> even preview) ANY video encoding, given the appropriate codec.
    >
    > The one I am fluent with, Avid Express Pro, cannot. Are you sure that
    > Vegas has the same versatility with codecs that Premiere has?

    Yes it does. Vegas will use any codec you have installed on your computer.
    I have several different ones and have access to any/all of them.

    > Also, can you confirm what I suspect, which is that none of these
    > software based systems has the ability to play uncompressed in the
    > monitor window? Or do they have some sneaky "render-and-view" option?

    Since I've never tried using uncompressed avi, I just did a quick test
    render with some stills, imported it back in, did a cut and rendered it back
    out again. Vegas had no problem playing it in the preview window.

    > In what
    >> form are you getting this uncompressed NTSC? What codec did they
    >> use to encode it with?
    >>
    > It comes as a Quicktime "uncompressed." I do not know the codec used,
    > but it is accepted for import by Avid Pro, and by the various mpeg
    > encoder programs.

    As long as you have Quicktime on your computer, it should work.

    >> If you are capturing it from analog yourself, you need a capture
    >> board capable of uncompressed sampling (don't expect to find it at
    >> your local computer shop.)
    >
    > That's all taken care of. The material is raw footage for a
    > professional cinematographer's reel. Nothing less than a lab transfer
    > would be acceptable for this purpose. The D.P.'s work is of
    > exceptional quality, and he has received favorable mention at
    > Sundance.
    >

    > The Huffyuv codec appears to be the favorite
    >> uncompressed video codec. And it is free last time I checked.
    >
    > Would be most appreciative if you could give me a download link.

    http://neuron2.net/www.math.berkeley.edu/benrg/huffyuv.html
    Be advised that it's not an uncompressed codec but a "loseless" one.

    > >Of
    >> course you need a pristine source to justify the enormous disk space.
    >> No typical consumer tape format is worthy of Huffyuv, IMHO.
    >> Even DV is pre-compressed 5:1 before you ever see it.
    >>
    > The material is on Betacam SP. All I can tell you is that in NY, the
    > accepted post-path for a D.P.'s reel, for film originated material,
    > is 10 bit uncompressed. I am assured that if I were to import it into
    > Avid Pro, the result on DVD would not be as good.
    >
    > The cinematographer's reel has severe problems that occurred in post
    > mishandling, seemingly caused by frame reversal combined with
    > misapplication of 3:2 and the inverse. I have volunteered to fix by
    > inserting replacement material direct from new digital transfers.

    You might want to ask some questions on the Sony Vegas forum at
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/ShowTopics.asp?ForumID=4
    There are a few guys on there who use Vegas for Betacam work (with a
    Decklink card??) and are far more qualified than I am at answering specific
    technical questions related to Vegas.

    Mike

    >If I was going to start up my video business again, my first purchase would be
    >two good quality HD cameras.

    SimMike---give us a few examples of current generation HD Camcorders.

    thanks,
    ron

    The "E" has been removed from my return email address. Please add an E between the n&t to make .nEt to email a reply.

Tuner Cards HD Graphics