Off-line steam problem: Win32 StructuredException

Off-line steam has worked fine for me for months. Now it fails with the
following error message:

>Steam.exe (main exception): Win32 StructuredException at 0224825F :
>Attempt to read from virtual address 898324483 without appropriate
>access rights.

A web search suggests that this is, and has before been, a common
problem for others. The only 'solution' I've seen is to delete the
ClientRegistry.blob file and allow steam to update itself. I did this
but it does not fix the problem for me.

If I start steam online, I *can* then disable my network to play
off-line. So it must be something in the *initial* start-up of steam.

I've logged a question with Valve, but if anyone has recently
encountered this and found a solution, would they please post that
solution here.

Cheers,
--
Neale Hind
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

    I have the same thing happening to me. It happened just after an
    update. I normally play offline and happened to be online the other day
    when I clicked the Steam button. The game automatically updated and
    since then nothing has worked well. I can play the game fine enough but
    I have to be online.

    Good luck getting any kind of response from Valve. They don't seem to
    give a care about the customers. Probably blaming the world for their
    code getting ripped off.

    On 26 Aug 2005 15:40:52 -0700, MartyLK@sega.net wrote:

    >I have the same thing happening to me. It happened just after an
    >update. I normally play offline and happened to be online the other day
    >when I clicked the Steam button. The game automatically updated and
    >since then nothing has worked well. I can play the game fine enough but
    >I have to be online.
    >
    >Good luck getting any kind of response from Valve. They don't seem to
    >give a care about the customers. Probably blaming the world for their
    >code getting ripped off.
    >Neale D. Hind wrote:
    >> Off-line steam has worked fine for me for months. Now it fails with the
    >> following error message:
    >>
    >> >Steam.exe (main exception): Win32 StructuredException at 0224825F :
    >> >Attempt to read from virtual address 898324483 without appropriate
    >> >access rights.
    >>
    >> A web search suggests that this is, and has before been, a common
    >> problem for others. The only 'solution' I've seen is to delete the
    >> ClientRegistry.blob file and allow steam to update itself. I did this
    >> but it does not fix the problem for me.
    >>
    >> If I start steam online, I *can* then disable my network to play
    >> off-line. So it must be something in the *initial* start-up of steam.
    >>
    >> I've logged a question with Valve, but if anyone has recently
    >> encountered this and found a solution, would they please post that
    >> solution here.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> --
    >> Neale Hind
    >> Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

    Exactly the same error message i get when trying to play in offline
    mode.All was fine untill i installed blue shift.
    runs fine in online mode though..weird?

    In message <21ivg11u1b5f0nh5taq8m6imfq9k49mta9@4ax.com>, desert
    <youmustbe@joking.co.com> writes
    >On 26 Aug 2005 15:40:52 -0700, MartyLK@sega.net wrote:
    >
    >>I have the same thing happening to me. It happened just after an
    >>update. I normally play offline and happened to be online the other day
    >>when I clicked the Steam button. The game automatically updated and
    >>since then nothing has worked well. I can play the game fine enough but
    >>I have to be online.

    <snip>

    Problem fixed in most recent steam update (29 Aug 2005).

    >>Neale D. Hind wrote:
    >>> Off-line steam has worked fine for me for months. Now it fails with the
    >>> following error message:

    <snip>

    >Exactly the same error message i get when trying to play in offline
    >mode.All was fine untill i installed blue shift.
    >runs fine in online mode though..weird?

    Cheers,
    --
    Neale Hind
    Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

Win32 Steam Error Message Video Games