BioWare: Next Dragon Age Will Be Inspired By Skyrim

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]alikum[/nom]Yea ... yea ... Until you took an arrow in the knee[/citation]

LOL! This meme is getting out of hand :lol:

You know what's your problem, BioWare? You tried to mix story-driven and open-exploration RPG. You FAILED. Stick to one. DAO is better than DA2, but I can't get myself to finish even that, while I can't stop playing Skyrim! Witcher 2 also taught you a good lesson, I hope.

Next time market less, develop more. Look at yourself, you're PATHETIC! Talking about all these T-shirts and character models all the time instead of making a good game... did Bethesda do that? Not really. They've b!tched about how bad PC development is a great deal, sure, but they gave us a beautiful, engaging game. What have YOU given us with DA2? ... that's right, an epic fail.

I should go - before I take an arrow in the knee.

P.S. Still, I think that taking acrobatics and levitation out of Skyrim was a bad move :pfff: It was awesome jumping around in Morrowind... I miss it.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
There's also talk that the next game will have a possible multiplayer mode featuring playable dragons.

... idiots.

Does Skyrim have MP with dragons?

No. That's not why it sells. You think that just slapping MP onto a previously successful franchise helps? You can pull that off with Mass Effect, but only because thousands of fans like me are waiting for the SP conclusion. We wouldn't buy it for MP.

Oh, btw, your graphics sucked, too, BioWare. TW2 and TES5 both pulled it off much better than you did - one because they targeted PC and another because... hell, I dunno, it's Bethesda, they're almighty and can make decent graphics even though they complain a lot ;) You, on the other hand, are a bunch of market-hyped show-offs.

If anyone is tracking BioWare news, they will know that the BioWare team consists of Apple and Xbox fanboys. What can you expect from them? I'm surprised Mass Effect is as awesome as it is with such a team!

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Heres my rant on the matter.

Baldurs gate 1 + 2 were the best rpgs ever. They beat aynthing bioware has made since, and beat all TES games in story. The plots were complex, the twists were great, there were some side quests, but most importantly, it was challenging, dynamic, not black and white, deep, and offered some of the best coop rpg play ever.

Since then, Bioware has moved away from what made them great. They stopped making coop campaigns after neverwinter nights (which was almost as great as baldurs gate, except the story wasnt as epic, and the graphics were poor for the time), they stopped having dynamic stories with dragon age / mass effect, they made KOTOR and Jade Empire in between, which just shows the progressive fall from grace:

From Baldurs Gate / NWN (DND) -> Jade Empire / KOTOR -> Mass Effect / Dragon Age. All along this path, they lose complexity, story depth, mutliplayer, and gain more voice overs, slightly better graphics, and more action based combat. See the trend?

And dragon age 2 was a corner case. It was grossly rushed and had no environments or characters, it was the biggest cop out in terms of art ever seen. That was the problem. The story was actually interesting, running around the exact same city for 30 hours was not.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
Heres a nice sound bite for the TLDRs:

DA3 should be inspired by Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights, like DA1 was supposed to be. Thats what Bioware does right. Or did right. They seem to have lost their way after being consumed by EA, or maybe by greed, I dont know which, but whatever it is, they have lost their magic.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

I don't fully agree... BG was great, so was NWN, but I also loved KOTOR (though it was a bit too slow on the traveling part at times) and Mass Effect is just a different type of game altogether, it's more of a story-driven TPS with RPG elements and it's great when you don't try to push some "genre" and its limits onto it. Dragon Age is a good game but way too tedious compared to, say again, Witcher 2 - and that complexity kills the gameplay completely (at least for me). I don't mind adjusting equipment and thoroughly checking every ability and skill in a d20 game, but it was rather annoying in DA context.

Skyrim went a bit overkill on it, taking out Strength/Stamina/Dexterity/Speed/Personality/Willpower/Intelligence/Luck and replacing it with Health/Stamina/Magicka... it's almost ridiculous killing of the franchise-defining elements like that, but the funny thing is, it doesn't really affect much at all, since they tied everything to skills instead.

What BioWare needs to do in my opinion is STFU about Kinect, multiplayer and other gimmicks and concentrate on a new good story-driven franchise (leave ME the hell alone, you already got a SW-based MMO to milk for cash). Mass Effect was awesome exactly because of characters and voiceover, they nailed it there and they should keep it up, but please don't talk bull about multiplayer - leave that to military FPS, racing and RTS genres.

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Oblivion / marrowinds leveling + stat point system was horrible. Skyrim does character development correctly. Everyone hated Oblivion's level system, and the devs actually listened and came up with a much better system. Yet you say it's ridiculous? Ya I agree, it is ridiculous that a group of developers listened to their fan base.... lol.

I didn't think DA2 or DAO were "Bad" games, they just weren't sandbox RPGs, they were story driven and linear. Skyrim imo is a better game, but to call Dragon Age a fail is a pretty big statement to make. It's like comparing Battlefield to Quake. Both games are good, but they provide a different type of experience.

And to all the nay-sayers on TES multiplayer capabilities. Many people feel that multiplayer is the one thing lacking from TES games. It's a great single player game, and there is nothing wrong with single player, but understand that some people would love to play with a friend in one of their favorite franchises. I see nothing wrong with making it an option. No one is forcing anyone to play MP, just some fans want to explore TES universe with a buddy.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Skyrim leveling system is fine, it's just that Morrowind one was superior - I won't discuss Oblivion here, I couldn't stand more than 4 hours of it.

DAO and DA2 are definitely not bad games, surely better than most of the $h!t released today. It's just that the could've been better... and DAO is more character- than story-driven, IMO. Feel the difference.

Nothing wrong with MP, either! I personally think it'd be great fun - but don't pretend like it's a selling point for a game like TES, ME or DA... that's all I'm asking.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Bioware, you know what, it would be actually fine if you just took the cues from your own old RPGs. It is good to take lessons from other developers' games but IMO, the prime reason that DA 2 failed was because it didn't give its fans what its predecessor gave them: A rich experience filled with several characters and places to visit covered by an overarching good story.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]LOL! This meme is getting out of hand You know what's your problem, BioWare? You tried to mix story-driven and open-exploration RPG. You FAILED. Stick to one. DAO is better than DA2, but I can't get myself to finish even that, while I can't stop playing Skyrim! Witcher 2 also taught you a good lesson, I hope.Next time market less, develop more. Look at yourself, you're PATHETIC! Talking about all these T-shirts and character models all the time instead of making a good game... did Bethesda do that? Not really. They've b!tched about how bad PC development is a great deal, sure, but they gave us a beautiful, engaging game. What have YOU given us with DA2? ... that's right, an epic fail.I should go - before I take an arrow in the knee.P.S. Still, I think that taking acrobatics and levitation out of Skyrim was a bad move It was awesome jumping around in Morrowind... I miss it.[/citation]

levitation got taken out because the consoles couldn't handle no load times besides going inside a building or underground. its crappy, yea, but i do get why... at least with oblivion, leaving that out of skyrim... that's unexcusable with how poorly the climbing mechanic is.

[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom]Heres my rant on the matter.Baldurs gate 1 + 2 were the best rpgs ever. They beat aynthing bioware has made since, and beat all TES games in story. The plots were complex, the twists were great, there were some side quests, but most importantly, it was challenging, dynamic, not black and white, deep, and offered some of the best coop rpg play ever.Since then, Bioware has moved away from what made them great. They stopped making coop campaigns after neverwinter nights (which was almost as great as baldurs gate, except the story wasnt as epic, and the graphics were poor for the time), they stopped having dynamic stories with dragon age / mass effect, they made KOTOR and Jade Empire in between, which just shows the progressive fall from grace:From Baldurs Gate / NWN (DND) -> Jade Empire / KOTOR -> Mass Effect / Dragon Age. All along this path, they lose complexity, story depth, mutliplayer, and gain more voice overs, slightly better graphics, and more action based combat. See the trend? And dragon age 2 was a corner case. It was grossly rushed and had no environments or characters, it was the biggest cop out in terms of art ever seen. That was the problem. The story was actually interesting, running around the exact same city for 30 hours was not.[/citation]

personaly, i think jade empire was a great game, you cant really make martial arts in the same way you can make a strategy game without putting allot of people off.

kotor, on the xbox, the game made me sick... some game engines do that to me where i feal really bad after an hour and cant play more... mix that in with how poorly the very beginning of that game is layed out... till recently i didnt even make it passed about 1 hour into the game if you play it normally.

i agree balders gate was the best of theirs, but at the same time, i hate rpgs that are tied to the d&d systems, don't get me wrong good games, but d&d is for pen and paper, not interactive video game. same story, different battle system, all im saying.

mass effect was GREAT for what it was, a 3rd person shooter with mid range rpg elements. i cant see it getting much better than that without dumbing it down to a 3rd person shooter where you make... vauge decisions, which they did in 2... and are most likely doign worse in 3.

i will NOT give them credit for the old republic mmo... I want a SINGLE PLAYER GAME, that is on an EPIC scale without needing raids or other players, i despise playing with other people in games, i dont make friends, i dont get guild ties, and it seams that i can never get anything substantial off the ground. ever quest basically from the beginning, and i perfected maxing out characters solo before that's became just how the game is played.

my quibbling aside with mmos in general, the old republic burrows heavily from wow, and it also is set in a universe of star wars, all they had to do was make the game right, and i believe they did, i wont give them credit

[citation][nom]Zanny[/nom]Heres a nice sound bite for the TLDRs:DA3 should be inspired by Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights, like DA1 was supposed to be. Thats what Bioware does right. Or did right. They seem to have lost their way after being consumed by EA, or maybe by greed, I dont know which, but whatever it is, they have lost their magic.[/citation]

yea... after DA2, ill believe it when i see it, WOW something i never thought i would say about bioware.

-----------------------

all that aside, bioware needs to have learned something from dark souls, people will play a really hard game, and love it.

something they should learn from the witcher, real time combat can be done in an rpg without taking the rpg out.

skyrim.... lets hope they didnt learn from that.... that game is basicly saying "you can strip out the rpg and people will still buy the damn game"

skyrim... its more playable out of the box than oblivion was, where it took heavily modding the game to even interest me.

here is hoping for a bioware game thats hard like darksouls, a better menu than witcher, while having a strategy element to its combat. and hopefully they make the most curious character bi... IM LOOKING AT YOU TALI, words cant discribe how mad i got when i realized they she was originally suppose to be but pulled at last minute for some stupid reason.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
alright nothing complicated it will be a good game i bet just need a good twist on game play of there own decor. not a knock off obviously

ko2n777

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]airborne11b[/nom]Oblivion / marrowinds leveling + stat point system was horrible. Skyrim does character development correctly. Everyone hated Oblivion's level system, and the devs actually listened and came up with a much better system. Yet you say it's ridiculous? Ya I agree, it is ridiculous that a group of developers listened to their fan base.... lol.I didn't think DA2 or DAO were "Bad" games, they just weren't sandbox RPGs, they were story driven and linear. Skyrim imo is a better game, but to call Dragon Age a fail is a pretty big statement to make. It's like comparing Battlefield to Quake. Both games are good, but they provide a different type of experience.And to all the nay-sayers on TES multiplayer capabilities. Many people feel that multiplayer is the one thing lacking from TES games. It's a great single player game, and there is nothing wrong with single player, but understand that some people would love to play with a friend in one of their favorite franchises. I see nothing wrong with making it an option. No one is forcing anyone to play MP, just some fans want to explore TES universe with a buddy.[/citation]

See, I'm one of those people who loved Morrowind and Oblivion for what it was. I have no complaints, I enjoy almost all of the things Bethesda puts out, game breaking glitches and all. :p

At least I did, until I took an arrow to the knee.

lol gg.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
To the people arguing about the best RPGs of all time. Final Fantasy 2-6 were the best. They were such big leaps and really defined the genre. The music they had was also outstanding. No current games come close to the musical quality of those games. Anyone remember the opera scene?

kathiki

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Skyrim is an amazing game that deserves the respect of all PC rpg funs. Even if the menu is more console oriented the overall game setting is pretty much very solid. It incorporates stunning graphics and skills and delivers a highly addictive game with an open world that extends miles more in dungeons.

I should say that dragon Age Origins was not bad, though very small and with a graphics engine that left me so totally disappointed. But dragon Age2, though rich in script again was really a let down..... graphics still remained so bad, and the overall setting was very poor. The pseudo3d engine, the few places you had to revisit over and over...... not my cup of tea.

Still both DA titles retain the nice multiple class management.

So, for every stupid PC Developer (god there are soooo many) who blame piracy for their own failures.... Skyrim is there to show them the way. Treat your customers with respect and your customers will respect you too.

I hope RAGE developers will read the above.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
EA will no longer publish offline-only big-budget games. The sign-in stuff required to access your DLC was bad enough, but it appears they are going to fully jump the shark with multiplayer. Top it off with a dash of Origin, and I'll probably never see DA3, regardless of how great it is.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
"Everyone hated Oblivion leveling system. "How arrogant do you have to be to propagate your own belief into a paradigm where everyone should and does feel the same? And how lazy you got to be to denigrate something just by saying it sucked?

Please enlighten me, why did it suck? And if it sucked so much, why is it that from Arena, to this day, it's the same leveling system? Yeah, because, you see, even Skyrim does have the same leveling system. What you morons are talking about is the Skill/Ability system, not the leveling system, that have changed in Skyrim. But again, see my previous statement. If it was so bad, why didn't they change it since Skyrim? Because suddenly they listened to "their fanbase", which in your head is everyone? No, they streamlined it for a bunch of newcomers, console players, and a minority of "old time TES players" who were too self absorbed to appreciate what they had, yet still played the series for some reason.

Part of what makes an RPG great is complexity and diversity. The more you streamline stuff, the more it moves toward an Action RPG. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes love Action RPGs, but since when TES have become an Action RPG? Let me enumerate a bunch of annoying stuff with the new "improved" skill/ability system of Skyrim, so you know, I can back up my point, unlike some others. Just SOME points, because I don't feel like going for hours over every single thing. So, no more Acrobatie....Acrobatie sucked, yeah right....But now then I can't do jump-attacks anymore. Or I don't have the choice to you know, make a character, say, an Assassin, who jumps higher than anyone, so I can go at places I wouldn't normally be able to go, and kill my opponents from there with my bow, like every good Assassin would do. So, no more Athletics....Athletics sucked...I can agree on that one. Then why is it still covertly present, and streamlined with Strength into what is called Stamina? The starting weight capacity for every character is 300 pounds. Are you kidding me? So my level 14 Mage with 100 Stamina, who have no base armor weight to carry whatsoever, can literally carry twice as much stuff as my level 30 Two handed/Heavy Armor Nord with around 300 Stamina. What if I want to carry as much stuff as possible, and do as much base damage as possible as early as possible in the game, and don't give a damn about my fatigue? Ah well, in Skyrim, I'm pretty much fucked. Soooo, an entire "perk" tree ( am I playing TES or Fallout?) dedicated to Lockpicking, LOL...LMFAO. AN ENTIRE TREE to Lockpicking, yet I am able to open Master Locks with a maximum of 10 tries with my aforementioned Nord, who have no Lockpicking perks whatsoever. So why didn't they just include a Lockpicking perk into the sneak tree, instead of dedicating an entire tree to it?

There's still much stuff to talk about. But I don't feel like writing a novel. Another thing which is outside the Skill/Ability question. The menus are LAME. For a whole lot of reasons. But what I miss the most is the ability to see my character in it, and see my guild badges and grades, with nice icons and stuff. Lazy, lazy work done on this.

I still like Skyrim, Dungeons are the best aspect of the game, while the ones in Oblivion were the worst aspect of it. But I still feel the franchise is dying with the path they have taken, and if not dying, mutating into something I will probably hate in the next installment.

Bioware, Bioware died a long, long, long time ago, at least for me. And what they are saying about taking inspiration in Skyrim is stupid, and just shows how they lost their roots.

[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]...i will NOT give them credit for the old republic mmo... I want a SINGLE PLAYER GAME, that is on an EPIC scale without needing raids or other players, i despise playing with other people in games, i dont make friends, i dont get guild ties, and it seams that i can never get anything substantial off the ground. ever quest basically from the beginning, and i perfected maxing out characters solo before that's became just how the game is played. my quibbling aside with mmos in general, the old republic burrows heavily from wow, and it also is set in a universe of star wars, all they had to do was make the game right, and i believe they did, i wont give them credit...[/citation]

You're missing out. I love KOTOR 1, I still have 1&2s cd cases right here on my desk. I loved Baldur's Gate I/II, NWN II, and Mass Effect I (minus the inventory mngmnt).

Anyway, back to SW:TOR. I'm currently lvl 35. I solo'd there almost exclusively. I jump into the Heroic missions meant for 2-4 players at my leisure. There's great story and items to be had from all areas. I can tell you with absolute certainty, that there's more single player content in SWTOR in the first 30-35 lvls than KOTOR I/II combined. I lost count how many missions gave me goose bumps and excitement of 'oooh this mission rocks' and takes me all over the planet of Tatooine, in an effort to save the entire planet from imminent doom.

The playstyle you've mentioned, is completely doable in swtor from beginning to end. You have the monthly fee, but honestly, for the AAAAA quality voice overs, and character animations, its completely worth it. No, they didnt go all eye candy with graphics, where it really shines is the body movement, facial expressions, gestures, and then of course, the voice acting. It's light years ahead of everyone else.

Also, dont forget to give credit where credit is due, the one and only, Black Isle Studios.

sissysue

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011
Will see Bioware, EA's newest bitch. Dragon Age one was pretty pathetic and you kiddie consoled/bastardized Dragon Age 2. Bioware used to be one of the best until EA took them over and it's been all downhill from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.