Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Strange PPTP VPN behavior-- "greIn_ip_match !Found" messages

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 20, 2004 1:52:45 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

Hello, I recently purchased a LinkSys BEFSX41 firewall router and have
been trying to connect from Work to Home (the router is at home). I
am using WinXP pro on both ends and connect first using PPTP, and then
run Remote Desktop.

The home router forwards tcp port 1723, and I have set PPTP
pass-through, so everything is legit on the home setup. I couldn't
get it working until I disabled, "Use default gateway on the remote
network" in my work VPN connection setup. I can now ping all the
servers and everything else seems normal. Here is the problem:

After connecting VPN and launching Remote Desktop, I notice constant
network activity over the connection, even when I'm not moving the
mouse or running any programs; there is no screen activity either.
The reverse connection (from home to work) doesn't have this issue. I
notice things are VERY slow and when I check the router firewall logs,
I find that the constant network activity is due to multiple messages
like this--

"greIn_ip_match !Found"

As long as I am connected to the VPN, the router is filling with these
messages. What do they mean?!! Why doesn't this happen when I
connect from home to work? Btw, the VPN at home assigns an IP to my
work computer that's on the same subnet as the home network, so things
SHOULD go smoothly.

thank you!
April 21, 2004 12:56:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.win2000.networking (More info?)

On 20 Apr 2004 09:52:45 -0700, sfsokc@softhome.net (Steve) wrote:

>Hello, I recently purchased a LinkSys BEFSX41 firewall router and have
>been trying to connect from Work to Home (the router is at home). I
>am using WinXP pro on both ends and connect first using PPTP, and then
>run Remote Desktop.
>
>The home router forwards tcp port 1723, and I have set PPTP
>pass-through, so everything is legit on the home setup. I couldn't
>get it working until I disabled, "Use default gateway on the remote
>network" in my work VPN connection setup.

Indeed, that is the case in my experience.

>I can now ping all the
>servers and everything else seems normal.

The Wizard was originally designed for PPP dialup, where the default
gateway would be the remote machine. Since you already are connected
to the Internet, you do not want to redirect the gateway to another
source because you then defeat the purpose of being connected to the
Internet in the first place. Or so it would seem...

>After connecting VPN and launching Remote Desktop, I notice constant
>network activity over the connection, even when I'm not moving the
>mouse or running any programs; there is no screen activity either.
>The reverse connection (from home to work) doesn't have this issue. I
>notice things are VERY slow and when I check the router firewall logs,
>I find that the constant network activity is due to multiple messages
>like this--

>"greIn_ip_match !Found"

This is a reach, but if it works...

What do you have for the "Type of VPN Server I am calling" on the
Networking page for the VPN Client. The default is "Automatic". Use
PPTP instead.



--

Map Of The Vast Right Wing Conspiracy:
http://www.freewebs.com/vrwc/

"You can all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
--David Crockett
!