Denise

A user running WinXP Pro at home continues to get the
message "The remote computer disconnected the session
because of an error in the licensing protocol...".

If I delete the MSLicensing key from the registry, I can
log in right after that, but the next time the same error
comes up.

no one else gets this error. The computer was able to
connect before but is now getting this error. I cannot
find anything on the MS website of how to fix this. Can
anyone help?

What type of machine is the user connecting to? A Windows XP RD
machine, or a Terminal Server (Windows 2000/Windows 2003/NT4TSE)?

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:38:36 -0700, "Denise"

>A user running WinXP Pro at home continues to get the
>message "The remote computer disconnected the session
>because of an error in the licensing protocol...".
>
>If I delete the MSLicensing key from the registry, I can
>log in right after that, but the next time the same error
>comes up.
>
>no one else gets this error. The computer was able to
>connect before but is now getting this error. I cannot
>find anything on the MS website of how to fix this. Can
>anyone help?

Denise

The user is running WinXP Pro connecting to a Terminal Server (Win2000 Server). Other WinXP machines can connect without problems.

----- Jeffrey Randow (MVP) wrote: -----

What type of machine is the user connecting to? A Windows XP RD
machine, or a Terminal Server (Windows 2000/Windows 2003/NT4TSE)?

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 13:38:36 -0700, "Denise"

>A user running WinXP Pro at home continues to get the
>message "The remote computer disconnected the session
>because of an error in the licensing protocol...".
>>If I delete the MSLicensing key from the registry, I can
>log in right after that, but the next time the same error
>comes up.
>>no one else gets this error. The computer was able to
>connect before but is now getting this error. I cannot
>find anything on the MS website of how to fix this. Can
>anyone help?

From Vera Noest (MVP):
This error can appear if you had a temporary license and the
90 days has expired. It can appear if you do not have a
TS License server in your domain or the TS License server is
older than the TS Server (Windows 2003 TS and Windows 2000
License Server). Check the EventLog on your TS.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:11:05 -0700, Denise

>because of an error in the licensing protocol

Denise

I know that the computer was using a temporary license but I purchased 5 licenses and they are installed on the server. Under licenses now it reads: Existing Win 2000 Licenses -- there are 7 computers listed...the one with the problem included in this list. Windows 2000 Server - TS CAL Token -- none listed. Temporary Licenses for Win 2000 TS Client Access -- the computer with the problem is listed, with an expiration date of July 19, 2004.

So it was using a temporary license, but then it moved to the Existing 2000 Licenses, but when I was working on it again the other day it is also listed in Temp. Licenses. The computer is listed under both places, but it still does not work. The user cannot log on.

When looking at the EventLog...this is what is stated: The TS Licensing server has no license pack registered for product "windows 2000 TS Internet Connector License'. Use Terminal Services Licensing Administrative tool to register the licenses pack.
I cannot find anywhere how to register the licenses. I have installed them and used the Product ID number, but how do I register them?