Other ways to turn on RDC

Is there anyway to gain access to a computer to turn on Remote Desktop other than using Remote assistance (No one at the other end.)??

XP Pro on a network through a Linksys BEFSR81 router that I'm trying to connect to..

XP Pro at home on network using a US Robotic router....

Both of them are on RR cable modem.
5 answers Last reply
More about other ways turn

    Glen wrote:
    > Is there anyway to gain access to a computer to turn on Remote
    > Desktop other than using Remote assistance (No one at the other
    > end.)??
    >
    > XP Pro on a network through a Linksys BEFSR81 router that I'm trying
    > to connect to..
    >
    > XP Pro at home on network using a US Robotic router....
    >
    > Both of them are on RR cable modem.

    Well, you mean remote access to turn on Remote Desktop? Or do you mean can
    you use Remote Desktop to control the remote machine instead of Remote
    Assistance?

    You could do both really - if you have the right ports opened up through any
    firewall you have or you have the right ports forwarded through your router
    you could, in theory, remotely install something like UltraVNC (given you
    have admin rights and drive sharing on the remote machine) and then remote
    in using that, turn on Remote Desktop and remote into the machine with that
    to uninstall UltraVNC and move on..

    Better yet - if they are both your machines, open any ports through your
    firewall/forward through the router and do this while sitting in front of
    machine 1 and machine 2. Then use them as needed.

    If you do not understand that or need more details:

    *****Using Remote Desktop *****

    Set Up Your Computer for Remote Desktop
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp

    To setup your office computer to use Remote Desktop
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/enableremote.asp

    *To install Remote Desktop Connection software on a client computer (XP)*
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/remoteclient.asp

    To create a new Remote Desktop Connection
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/startremote.asp

    Connecting to Windows 95, Windows 98 and 98 Second Edition, Windows Me,
    Windows NT® 4.0, or Windows 2000, Remote Desktop Connection Software
    Download.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/rdclientdl.asp

    **Running Remote Desktop through a router**

    To run remote desktop thought a router at home you will need to enable port
    forwarding, the process for this differs depending on the router.

    Linksys http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/linksys/linksys_port_forward.htm
    Netopia http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/netopia/port_forward_netopia.htm
    Visionet
    http://www.proteknet.com/procedures/visionnet/port_forward_visionnet.htm

    On the source system (The PC you are controlling FROM) port 3389 must be
    "port forwarded" to the IP address of the machine you want to connect TO

    Configuring the Remote Desktop Client to Connect to a Specific Port
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=304304

    How to Change the Listening Port for Remote Desktop
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306759

    **Links**

    What is Remote Desktop in Windows XP?
    http://www.petri.co.il/what's_remote_desktop.htm

    Installing Remote Desktop Web Connection in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q284/9/31.asp&NoWebContent=1

    How to use remote Desktop Access in Windows XP (Good Link!)
    http://www.wown.info/j_helmig/wxprmdtp.htm

    Setting up a wireless Remote Desktop
    http://www.wireless-network-guide.com/remote-desktop-windows-xp.php

    Using Windows XP Windows XP Remote Desktop
    http://www.2000trainers.com/article.aspx?articleID=201&page=1

    Remote Desktop and Remote Assistance
    http://www.labmice.net/WindowsXP/NetworkingXP/remote_desktop.htm

    Good Luck.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Not the best way, but if you can get access to the local LAN (via a
    VPN), you can do the following (from a blog):

    Enabling Remote Desktop, remotely
    Let's say you're in a situation where you can't log into your XP
    machine because you forgot to click that checkbox. psexec to the
    rescue!

    psexec \\machinename reg add
    "hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\terminal server" /f /v
    fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0

    I shouldn't have to say that this isn't in any way supported, or that
    it's not going to work if you're not already an admin on the machine
    that has RD access, or that a firewall will get in the way, or that
    there may be better ways to do it using script or WMI, but I've found
    it useful on a couple occasions.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:51:04 -0700, "Glen"

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:9bob80t6e8k38gdhlmkn4fgpq8n6a0et8o@4ax.com...
    > Not the best way, but if you can get access to the local LAN (via a
    > VPN), you can do the following (from a blog):
    >
    > Enabling Remote Desktop, remotely
    > Let's say you're in a situation where you can't log into your XP
    > machine because you forgot to click that checkbox. psexec to the
    > rescue!
    >
    > psexec \\machinename reg add
    > "hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\terminal server" /f /v
    > fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    >
    > I shouldn't have to say that this isn't in any way supported, or that
    > it's not going to work if you're not already an admin on the machine
    > that has RD access, or that a firewall will get in the way, or that
    > there may be better ways to do it using script or WMI, but I've found
    > it useful on a couple occasions.
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:51:04 -0700, "Glen"
    > <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Is there anyway to gain access to a computer to turn on Remote Desktop
    >>other than using Remote assistance (No one at the other end.)??
    >>
    >>XP Pro on a network through a Linksys BEFSR81 router that I'm trying to
    >>connect to..
    >>
    >>XP Pro at home on network using a US Robotic router....
    >>
    >>Both of them are on RR cable modem.

    For some reason, I thought that was in the Resource Kit... :(

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:29:44 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml
    >

    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    >in message news:9bob80t6e8k38gdhlmkn4fgpq8n6a0et8o@4ax.com...
    >> Not the best way, but if you can get access to the local LAN (via a
    >> VPN), you can do the following (from a blog):
    >>
    >> Enabling Remote Desktop, remotely
    >> Let's say you're in a situation where you can't log into your XP
    >> machine because you forgot to click that checkbox. psexec to the
    >> rescue!
    >>
    >> psexec \\machinename reg add
    >> "hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\terminal server" /f /v
    >> fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    >>
    >> I shouldn't have to say that this isn't in any way supported, or that
    >> it's not going to work if you're not already an admin on the machine
    >> that has RD access, or that a firewall will get in the way, or that
    >> there may be better ways to do it using script or WMI, but I've found
    >> it useful on a couple occasions.
    >>
    >> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
    >> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>
    >> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>
    >> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>

    >> On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:51:04 -0700, "Glen"
    >> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Is there anyway to gain access to a computer to turn on Remote Desktop
    >>>other than using Remote assistance (No one at the other end.)??
    >>>
    >>>XP Pro on a network through a Linksys BEFSR81 router that I'm trying to
    >>>connect to..
    >>>
    >>>XP Pro at home on network using a US Robotic router....
    >>>
    >>>Both of them are on RR cable modem.

    It sounds very useful--I had to go back and read the description 3 times
    before I would believe that it doesn't require a client piece on the remote
    machine.

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:2krg80tq63g2sjqs54g4qm2ieg84bp48ug@4ax.com...
    > For some reason, I thought that was in the Resource Kit... :(
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:29:44 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    > <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/psexec.shtml
    >>

    >>"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
    >>wrote
    >>in message news:9bob80t6e8k38gdhlmkn4fgpq8n6a0et8o@4ax.com...
    >>> Not the best way, but if you can get access to the local LAN (via a
    >>> VPN), you can do the following (from a blog):
    >>>
    >>> Enabling Remote Desktop, remotely
    >>> Let's say you're in a situation where you can't log into your XP
    >>> machine because you forgot to click that checkbox. psexec to the
    >>> rescue!
    >>>
    >>> psexec \\machinename reg add
    >>> "hklm\system\currentcontrolset\control\terminal server" /f /v
    >>> fDenyTSConnections /t REG_DWORD /d 0
    >>>
    >>> I shouldn't have to say that this isn't in any way supported, or that
    >>> it's not going to work if you're not already an admin on the machine
    >>> that has RD access, or that a firewall will get in the way, or that
    >>> there may be better ways to do it using script or WMI, but I've found
    >>> it useful on a couple occasions.
    >>>
    >>> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
    >>> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>>
    >>> Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    >>> of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    >>> be answered depending on time availability....
    >>>
    >>> Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    >>> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    >>> Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

Routers Windows XP