Configuring a dynamic dns client

April 21, 2004 2:47:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ok, Jason and Phil. I can't get my mind wrapped around this one. I struggled
with Remote Desktop and finally got it working thanks to your help. That is,
it works so long as I know the ip address of my host pc. Problem is, it
keeps changing - a few times a day. So....per Jason's suggestion, I went to
dyndns.org and set up a dynamic dns account - brainsturgeon.dyndns.org.
Ok....so, I followed their How To step by step and downloaded a client (3D
Watch) to keep the ip address updated on the dyndns server. Except it isn't
working, or at least I don't understand what the end result needs to be
here. With 3d watch running in the background, my ip address changes and my
pc isn't accessible via rd. When I try, or a friend tries from a another pc,
to access http://myname.dyndns.org, it doesn't load.

Is the purpose for me to be able to go to http://myname.dyndns.org and grab
my current ip info when trying to work remotely? Or isn't the purpose of all
this to have that process automated so i can use rd with the same ip address
all the time? I have dyndns set up as a dynamic dns account - should it be a
static dns account? Ack........

--

Tom Richards
email@brainsturgeonSPAM.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm pretty sure the idea is that you can goto a website and get your current
ip info. I never used it though, so not sure how it works. Do they have tech
support for their service? If so try that and tomorrow I'll check out the
service and see if theres something you might be missing.

Tom Richards wrote:
> Ok, Jason and Phil. I can't get my mind wrapped around this one. I
> struggled with Remote Desktop and finally got it working thanks to
> your help. That is, it works so long as I know the ip address of my
> host pc. Problem is, it keeps changing - a few times a day. So....per
> Jason's suggestion, I went to dyndns.org and set up a dynamic dns
> account - brainsturgeon.dyndns.org. Ok....so, I followed their How To
> step by step and downloaded a client (3D Watch) to keep the ip
> address updated on the dyndns server. Except it isn't working, or at
> least I don't understand what the end result needs to be here. With
> 3d watch running in the background, my ip address changes and my pc
> isn't accessible via rd. When I try, or a friend tries from a another
> pc, to access http://myname.dyndns.org, it doesn't load.
>
> Is the purpose for me to be able to go to http://myname.dyndns.org
> and grab my current ip info when trying to work remotely? Or isn't
> the purpose of all this to have that process automated so i can use
> rd with the same ip address all the time? I have dyndns set up as a
> dynamic dns account - should it be a static dns account? Ack........
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 3:27:27 AM

Tom Richards wrote:
> Ok, Jason and Phil. I can't get my mind wrapped around this one. I
> struggled with Remote Desktop and finally got it working thanks to
> your help. That is, it works so long as I know the ip address of my
> host pc. Problem is, it keeps changing - a few times a day. So....per
> Jason's suggestion, I went to dyndns.org and set up a dynamic dns
> account - brainsturgeon.dyndns.org. Ok....so, I followed their How To
> step by step and downloaded a client (3D Watch) to keep the ip
> address updated on the dyndns server. Except it isn't working, or at
> least I don't understand what the end result needs to be here.

I've never used that - I really like DirectUpdate (also downloadable from
dyndns.org) but they should all be the same - if you log into your
Dyndns.org site & check your account, does it reflect your current IP? Are
you sure the client you set up is done properly? Check their help files?

> With
> 3d watch running in the background, my ip address changes and my pc
> isn't accessible via rd. When I try, or a friend tries from a another
> pc, to access http://myname.dyndns.org, it doesn't load.

Just use yourname.dyndns.org in the remote desktop client.

> Is the purpose for me to be able to go to http://myname.dyndns.org
> and grab my current ip info when trying to work remotely? Or isn't
> the purpose of all this to have that process automated so i can use
> rd with the same ip address all the time?

No - because you don't always have the same IP address. You always have the
same *name* you set up on dyndns, which should map to the right IP.

>I have dyndns set up as a
> dynamic dns account - should it be a static dns account? Ack........
Nope. or you wouldn't need it.
April 21, 2004 3:49:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Actually, the idea is for the ddns client to inform your dns zone server
when your ip address updates, so you can have a hostname in your zone
updated with your current ip.

Basically this means this

Say you have the hostname me.example.com hosted at dnsserver.com and your
internet ip address is a fictional 343.342.343.234

Your ddns client would tell dnsserver.com that me.example.com should point
to 343.342.343.234

Now, if your ip changes to 45.54.45.21 (say you have dynamic ips assigned to
you, or you move to another network or whatever), your ddns client would
tell dnsserver.com that me.example.com should point to 45.54.45.21

This process would continue each time your ip address to the internet
changes.

I personally use zoneedit.com to host the dns for the domain that I own.
I can create as many subdomains that I want, some of which I use a ddns
client to update subdomain names.

I use directupdate as my ddns client and it works really well.

The above is not an endorsement of the respective products, they serve only
as examples.
And yes, I know some of the above "ip" addresses are impossible under ipv4.
They are just examples.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Phil (a.k.a. purplehaz)" <software@for.me> wrote in message
> I'm pretty sure the idea is that you can goto a website and get your
current
> ip info. I never used it though, so not sure how it works. Do they have
tech
> support for their service? If so try that and tomorrow I'll check out the
> service and see if theres something you might be missing.
>
> Tom Richards wrote:
> > Ok, Jason and Phil. I can't get my mind wrapped around this one. I
> > struggled with Remote Desktop and finally got it working thanks to
> > your help. That is, it works so long as I know the ip address of my
> > host pc. Problem is, it keeps changing - a few times a day. So....per
> > Jason's suggestion, I went to dyndns.org and set up a dynamic dns
> > account - brainsturgeon.dyndns.org. Ok....so, I followed their How To
> > step by step and downloaded a client (3D Watch) to keep the ip
> > address updated on the dyndns server. Except it isn't working, or at
> > least I don't understand what the end result needs to be here. With
> > 3d watch running in the background, my ip address changes and my pc
> > isn't accessible via rd. When I try, or a friend tries from a another
> > pc, to access http://myname.dyndns.org, it doesn't load.
> >
> > Is the purpose for me to be able to go to http://myname.dyndns.org
> > and grab my current ip info when trying to work remotely? Or isn't
> > the purpose of all this to have that process automated so i can use
> > rd with the same ip address all the time? I have dyndns set up as a
> > dynamic dns account - should it be a static dns account? Ack........

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 4:38:15 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I installed and configured DirectUpdate. I put my router's status page url
in the ip detection settings. Also in that area, I chose the "requires
authentication" option and inputted my username and psswd (from dyndns). Is
that correct? DU also shows that it is "succesfully connected" to my
machine.

But....my friend can't get myname.dyndns.org to open and it also won't open
in the rd logon window on my laptop - part of my home network. And when I
logon to my account at dyndns.org, my current wan ip is there...it's
correct. :-(

--

Tom Richards
email@brainsturgeonSPAM.com

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Tom Richards wrote:
> > Ok, Jason and Phil. I can't get my mind wrapped around this one. I
> > struggled with Remote Desktop and finally got it working thanks to
> > your help. That is, it works so long as I know the ip address of my
> > host pc. Problem is, it keeps changing - a few times a day. So....per
> > Jason's suggestion, I went to dyndns.org and set up a dynamic dns
> > account - brainsturgeon.dyndns.org. Ok....so, I followed their How To
> > step by step and downloaded a client (3D Watch) to keep the ip
> > address updated on the dyndns server. Except it isn't working, or at
> > least I don't understand what the end result needs to be here.
>
> I've never used that - I really like DirectUpdate (also downloadable from
> dyndns.org) but they should all be the same - if you log into your
> Dyndns.org site & check your account, does it reflect your current IP? Are
> you sure the client you set up is done properly? Check their help files?
>
> > With
> > 3d watch running in the background, my ip address changes and my pc
> > isn't accessible via rd. When I try, or a friend tries from a another
> > pc, to access http://myname.dyndns.org, it doesn't load.
>
> Just use yourname.dyndns.org in the remote desktop client.
>

> > Is the purpose for me to be able to go to http://myname.dyndns.org
> > and grab my current ip info when trying to work remotely? Or isn't
> > the purpose of all this to have that process automated so i can use
> > rd with the same ip address all the time?
>
> No - because you don't always have the same IP address. You always have
the
> same *name* you set up on dyndns, which should map to the right IP.
>
> >I have dyndns set up as a
> > dynamic dns account - should it be a static dns account? Ack........
> Nope. or you wouldn't need it.

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 1:48:02 PM

Tom Richards wrote:
> I installed and configured DirectUpdate. I put my router's status
> page url in the ip detection settings. Also in that area, I chose the
> "requires authentication" option and inputted my username and psswd
> (from dyndns). Is that correct? DU also shows that it is
> "succesfully connected" to my machine.

So in Direct Update, does it say it connected & updated correctly?

> But....my friend can't get myname.dyndns.org to open and it also
> won't open in the rd logon window on my laptop - part of my home
> network. And when I logon to my account at dyndns.org, my current wan
> ip is there...it's correct. :-(

Is port 3389 open in your router, and forwarded to your internal IP address
(use a static)?

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:%23UJCaC1JEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Tom Richards wrote:
>>> Ok, Jason and Phil. I can't get my mind wrapped around this one. I
>>> struggled with Remote Desktop and finally got it working thanks to
>>> your help. That is, it works so long as I know the ip address of my
>>> host pc. Problem is, it keeps changing - a few times a day.
>>> So....per Jason's suggestion, I went to dyndns.org and set up a
>>> dynamic dns account - brainsturgeon.dyndns.org. Ok....so, I
>>> followed their How To step by step and downloaded a client (3D
>>> Watch) to keep the ip address updated on the dyndns server. Except
>>> it isn't working, or at least I don't understand what the end
>>> result needs to be here.
>>
>> I've never used that - I really like DirectUpdate (also downloadable
>> from dyndns.org) but they should all be the same - if you log into
>> your Dyndns.org site & check your account, does it reflect your
>> current IP? Are you sure the client you set up is done properly?
>> Check their help files?
>>
>>> With
>>> 3d watch running in the background, my ip address changes and my pc
>>> isn't accessible via rd. When I try, or a friend tries from a
>>> another pc, to access http://myname.dyndns.org, it doesn't load.
>>
>> Just use yourname.dyndns.org in the remote desktop client.
>>

>>> Is the purpose for me to be able to go to http://myname.dyndns.org
>>> and grab my current ip info when trying to work remotely? Or isn't
>>> the purpose of all this to have that process automated so i can use
>>> rd with the same ip address all the time?
>>
>> No - because you don't always have the same IP address. You always
>> have the same *name* you set up on dyndns, which should map to the
>> right IP.
>>
>>> I have dyndns set up as a
>>> dynamic dns account - should it be a static dns account?
>>> Ack........ Nope. or you wouldn't need it.
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 1:54:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks for the info. So is this program/serivce probably not what the op
wanted? He wanted to use some program to "tell" him when his home ip address
changed and what it changed to. So he could use remote desktop while away.

Jason Tsang wrote:
> Actually, the idea is for the ddns client to inform your dns zone
> server when your ip address updates, so you can have a hostname in
> your zone updated with your current ip.
>
> Basically this means this
>
> Say you have the hostname me.example.com hosted at dnsserver.com and
> your internet ip address is a fictional 343.342.343.234
>
> Your ddns client would tell dnsserver.com that me.example.com should
> point to 343.342.343.234
>
> Now, if your ip changes to 45.54.45.21 (say you have dynamic ips
> assigned to you, or you move to another network or whatever), your
> ddns client would tell dnsserver.com that me.example.com should point
> to 45.54.45.21
>
> This process would continue each time your ip address to the internet
> changes.
>
> I personally use zoneedit.com to host the dns for the domain that I
> own.
> I can create as many subdomains that I want, some of which I use a
> ddns client to update subdomain names.
>
> I use directupdate as my ddns client and it works really well.
>
> The above is not an endorsement of the respective products, they
> serve only as examples.
> And yes, I know some of the above "ip" addresses are impossible under
> ipv4. They are just examples.
>

> "Phil (a.k.a. purplehaz)" <software@for.me> wrote in message
>> I'm pretty sure the idea is that you can goto a website and get your
>> current ip info. I never used it though, so not sure how it works.
>> Do they have tech support for their service? If so try that and
>> tomorrow I'll check out the service and see if theres something you
>> might be missing.
>>
>> Tom Richards wrote:
>>> Ok, Jason and Phil. I can't get my mind wrapped around this one. I
>>> struggled with Remote Desktop and finally got it working thanks to
>>> your help. That is, it works so long as I know the ip address of my
>>> host pc. Problem is, it keeps changing - a few times a day.
>>> So....per Jason's suggestion, I went to dyndns.org and set up a
>>> dynamic dns account - brainsturgeon.dyndns.org. Ok....so, I
>>> followed their How To step by step and downloaded a client (3D
>>> Watch) to keep the ip address updated on the dyndns server. Except
>>> it isn't working, or at least I don't understand what the end
>>> result needs to be here. With 3d watch running in the background,
>>> my ip address changes and my pc isn't accessible via rd. When I
>>> try, or a friend tries from a another pc, to access
>>> http://myname.dyndns.org, it doesn't load.
>>>
>>> Is the purpose for me to be able to go to http://myname.dyndns.org
>>> and grab my current ip info when trying to work remotely? Or isn't
>>> the purpose of all this to have that process automated so i can use
>>> rd with the same ip address all the time? I have dyndns set up as a
>>> dynamic dns account - should it be a static dns account? Ack........
Anonymous
April 21, 2004 2:25:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Ok, I see now that it should help him after checking it out a bit. Thanks
again for the info.

Phil (a.k.a. purplehaz) wrote:
> Thanks for the info. So is this program/serivce probably not what the
> op wanted? He wanted to use some program to "tell" him when his home
> ip address changed and what it changed to. So he could use remote
> desktop while away.
>
> Jason Tsang wrote:
>> Actually, the idea is for the ddns client to inform your dns zone
>> server when your ip address updates, so you can have a hostname in
>> your zone updated with your current ip.
>>
>> Basically this means this
>>
>> Say you have the hostname me.example.com hosted at dnsserver.com and
>> your internet ip address is a fictional 343.342.343.234
>>
>> Your ddns client would tell dnsserver.com that me.example.com should
>> point to 343.342.343.234
>>
>> Now, if your ip changes to 45.54.45.21 (say you have dynamic ips
>> assigned to you, or you move to another network or whatever), your
>> ddns client would tell dnsserver.com that me.example.com should point
>> to 45.54.45.21
>>
>> This process would continue each time your ip address to the internet
>> changes.
>>
>> I personally use zoneedit.com to host the dns for the domain that I
>> own.
>> I can create as many subdomains that I want, some of which I use a
>> ddns client to update subdomain names.
>>
>> I use directupdate as my ddns client and it works really well.
>>
>> The above is not an endorsement of the respective products, they
>> serve only as examples.
>> And yes, I know some of the above "ip" addresses are impossible under
>> ipv4. They are just examples.
>>

>> "Phil (a.k.a. purplehaz)" <software@for.me> wrote in message
>>> I'm pretty sure the idea is that you can goto a website and get your
>>> current ip info. I never used it though, so not sure how it works.
>>> Do they have tech support for their service? If so try that and
>>> tomorrow I'll check out the service and see if theres something you
>>> might be missing.

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 12:21:39 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I'm at my girlfriend's and it won't connect. Yes, DirectUpdate said that it
was connected and updated correctly when I leftr this morning. The port
forwarding is set properly because when I know the ip of my machine, that is
when I'm there and ask her to connect to the ip I'm seeing, rd works. Du is
running in the background on the host machine so I don't know what the
glitch is.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Tom Richards wrote:
> > I installed and configured DirectUpdate. I put my router's status
> > page url in the ip detection settings. Also in that area, I chose the
> > "requires authentication" option and inputted my username and psswd
> > (from dyndns). Is that correct? DU also shows that it is
> > "succesfully connected" to my machine.
>
> So in Direct Update, does it say it connected & updated correctly?
> >
> > But....my friend can't get myname.dyndns.org to open and it also
> > won't open in the rd logon window on my laptop - part of my home
> > network. And when I logon to my account at dyndns.org, my current wan
> > ip is there...it's correct. :-(
>
> Is port 3389 open in your router, and forwarded to your internal IP
address
> (use a static)?
> >

> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> > message news:%23UJCaC1JEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >>
> >> I've never used that - I really like DirectUpdate (also downloadable
> >> from dyndns.org) but they should all be the same - if you log into
> >> your Dyndns.org site & check your account, does it reflect your
> >> current IP? Are you sure the client you set up is done properly?
> >> Check their help files?

> >> Just use yourname.dyndns.org in the remote desktop client.

> >> No - because you don't always have the same IP address. You always
> >> have the same *name* you set up on dyndns, which should map to the
> >> right IP.

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 12:22:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Also, when I try to access myname.dyndns.org, the browser refuses to load.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Tom Richards wrote:
> > I installed and configured DirectUpdate. I put my router's status
> > page url in the ip detection settings. Also in that area, I chose the
> > "requires authentication" option and inputted my username and psswd
> > (from dyndns). Is that correct? DU also shows that it is
> > "succesfully connected" to my machine.
>
> So in Direct Update, does it say it connected & updated correctly?
> >
> > But....my friend can't get myname.dyndns.org to open and it also
> > won't open in the rd logon window on my laptop - part of my home
> > network. And when I logon to my account at dyndns.org, my current wan
> > ip is there...it's correct. :-(
>
> Is port 3389 open in your router, and forwarded to your internal IP
address
> (use a static)?
> >

> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> > message news:%23UJCaC1JEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >>
> >> I've never used that - I really like DirectUpdate (also downloadable
> >> from dyndns.org) but they should all be the same - if you log into
> >> your Dyndns.org site & check your account, does it reflect your
> >> current IP? Are you sure the client you set up is done properly?
> >> Check their help files?

> >> Just use yourname.dyndns.org in the remote desktop client.

> >> No - because you don't always have the same IP address. You always
> >> have the same *name* you set up on dyndns, which should map to the
> >> right IP.

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 12:46:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Unless you installed TSWeb (and I don't know anything about that for a WinXP
RD host), you can't use a browser - you need the RD client.

Tom Richards wrote:
> Also, when I try to access myname.dyndns.org, the browser refuses to
> load.
>
> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:ucAnCh6JEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Tom Richards wrote:
>>> I installed and configured DirectUpdate. I put my router's status
>>> page url in the ip detection settings. Also in that area, I chose
>>> the "requires authentication" option and inputted my username and
>>> psswd (from dyndns). Is that correct? DU also shows that it is
>>> "succesfully connected" to my machine.
>>
>> So in Direct Update, does it say it connected & updated correctly?
>>>
>>> But....my friend can't get myname.dyndns.org to open and it also
>>> won't open in the rd logon window on my laptop - part of my home
>>> network. And when I logon to my account at dyndns.org, my current
>>> wan ip is there...it's correct. :-(
>>
>> Is port 3389 open in your router, and forwarded to your internal IP
>> address (use a static)?
>>>

>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message news:%23UJCaC1JEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 12:47:12 AM

Tom Richards wrote:
> I'm at my girlfriend's and it won't connect. Yes, DirectUpdate said
> that it was connected and updated correctly when I leftr this
> morning. The port forwarding is set properly because when I know the
> ip of my machine, that is when I'm there and ask her to connect to
> the ip I'm seeing, rd works. Du is running in the background on the
> host machine so I don't know what the glitch is.

Something's wrong in Direct Update setup if you can use the public IP but
not the host name. If you ping the host name from her computer, or yours,
even, does it return the correct public IP? (it shouldn't allow replies, but
should return the name).

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:ucAnCh6JEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Tom Richards wrote:
>>> I installed and configured DirectUpdate. I put my router's status
>>> page url in the ip detection settings. Also in that area, I chose
>>> the "requires authentication" option and inputted my username and
>>> psswd (from dyndns). Is that correct? DU also shows that it is
>>> "succesfully connected" to my machine.
>>
>> So in Direct Update, does it say it connected & updated correctly?
>>>
>>> But....my friend can't get myname.dyndns.org to open and it also
>>> won't open in the rd logon window on my laptop - part of my home
>>> network. And when I logon to my account at dyndns.org, my current
>>> wan ip is there...it's correct. :-(
>>
>> Is port 3389 open in your router, and forwarded to your internal IP
>> address (use a static)?
>>>

>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message news:%23UJCaC1JEHA.1264@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 11:10:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

It worked! I logged in to my account at dyndns.org and used the "ip in
database" in the rd client and, voila, it connected. Thanks for your help.

--

> Tom Richards wrote:
> > I'm at my girlfriend's and it won't connect. Yes, DirectUpdate said
> > that it was connected and updated correctly when I leftr this
> > morning. The port forwarding is set properly because when I know the
> > ip of my machine, that is when I'm there and ask her to connect to
> > the ip I'm seeing, rd works. Du is running in the background on the
> > host machine so I don't know what the glitch is.
>
> Something's wrong in Direct Update setup if you can use the public IP but
> not the host name. If you ping the host name from her computer, or yours,
> even, does it return the correct public IP? (it shouldn't allow replies,
but
> should return the name).
> >
> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> > message news:ucAnCh6JEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> >>
> >> So in Direct Update, does it say it connected & updated correctly?

> >> Is port 3389 open in your router, and forwarded to your internal IP
> >> address (use a static)?

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 1:21:43 PM

Tom Richards wrote:
> It worked! I logged in to my account at dyndns.org and used the "ip
> in database" in the rd client and, voila, it connected. Thanks for
> your help.

Glad it worked, but you aren't supposed to need to do that - that's the
point of dynamic DNS and the direct update software - so you won't need to
remember or know the IP at all. Did you try the ping test to see if the host
name pointed at the correct IP address?

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:%230nkvhAKEHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
>> Tom Richards wrote:
>>> I'm at my girlfriend's and it won't connect. Yes, DirectUpdate said
>>> that it was connected and updated correctly when I leftr this
>>> morning. The port forwarding is set properly because when I know the
>>> ip of my machine, that is when I'm there and ask her to connect to
>>> the ip I'm seeing, rd works. Du is running in the background on the
>>> host machine so I don't know what the glitch is.
>>
>> Something's wrong in Direct Update setup if you can use the public
>> IP but not the host name. If you ping the host name from her
>> computer, or yours, even, does it return the correct public IP? (it
>> shouldn't allow replies, but should return the name).
>>>
>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message news:ucAnCh6JEHA.3016@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
April 23, 2004 10:18:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

When I ping using "ping mypcname" it returns the ip of my pc (the ip i have
the 3389 port forwarding to) with 4 packets sent and 4 received. Not sure
how to analyze this.

--

> Tom Richards wrote:
> > It worked! I logged in to my account at dyndns.org and used the "ip
> > in database" in the rd client and, voila, it connected. Thanks for
> > your help.
>
> Glad it worked, but you aren't supposed to need to do that - that's the
> point of dynamic DNS and the direct update software - so you won't need to
> remember or know the IP at all. Did you try the ping test to see if the
host
> name pointed at the correct IP address?
>

> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> > message news:%230nkvhAKEHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> >>
> >> Something's wrong in Direct Update setup if you can use the public
> >> IP but not the host name. If you ping the host name from her
> >> computer, or yours, even, does it return the correct public IP? (it
> >> shouldn't allow replies, but should return the name).

Anonymous
April 23, 2004 1:32:37 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

1) You should be pinging the host you set up at your dyndns account -
yourpc.dyndns.org - it should resolve to the public IP of your router.
2) You shouldn't have inbound ICMP enabled in your firewall
3) From where are you pinging? From the Internet, you shouldn't be able to
resolve your local computer's name.

Ping
Tom Richards wrote:
> When I ping using "ping mypcname" it returns the ip of my pc (the ip
> i have the 3389 port forwarding to) with 4 packets sent and 4
> received. Not sure how to analyze this.
>

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> message news:%2359kA2GKEHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Tom Richards wrote:
>>> It worked! I logged in to my account at dyndns.org and used the "ip
>>> in database" in the rd client and, voila, it connected. Thanks for
>>> your help.
>>
>> Glad it worked, but you aren't supposed to need to do that - that's
>> the point of dynamic DNS and the direct update software - so you
>> won't need to remember or know the IP at all. Did you try the ping
>> test to see if the host name pointed at the correct IP address?
>>

>>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>>> message news:%230nkvhAKEHA.4072@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
April 23, 2004 1:34:59 PM

Amazing thread!

Good to see the thoght processes involved. I knew little about this until I
read these posts

--
"Display tolerance & kindness to those with less
knowledge than you because there is ALWAYS

"Tom Richards" <newsgroups@brainsturgeonSPAM.com> wrote in message
> Ok, Jason and Phil. I can't get my mind wrapped around this one. I
struggled
> with Remote Desktop and finally got it working thanks to your help. That
is,
> it works so long as I know the ip address of my host pc. Problem is, it
> keeps changing - a few times a day. So....per Jason's suggestion, I went
> dyndns.org and set up a dynamic dns account - brainsturgeon.dyndns.org.
> Ok....so, I followed their How To step by step and downloaded a client (3D
> Watch) to keep the ip address updated on the dyndns server. Except it
isn't
> working, or at least I don't understand what the end result needs to be
> here. With 3d watch running in the background, my ip address changes and
my
> pc isn't accessible via rd. When I try, or a friend tries from a another
pc,
> to access http://myname.dyndns.org, it doesn't load.
>
> Is the purpose for me to be able to go to http://myname.dyndns.org and
grab
> my current ip info when trying to work remotely? Or isn't the purpose of
all
> this to have that process automated so i can use rd with the same ip
address
> all the time? I have dyndns set up as a dynamic dns account - should it be
> static dns account? Ack........
>
> --
>
> Tom Richards
> email@brainsturgeonSPAM.com

Anonymous
April 26, 2004 12:52:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I appreciate your patience here....I consider myself a semi-nerd....run my
own website with a mysql database, cgi stuff like message boards, etc., but
I can't seem to get this whole dns thing. I can get to my pc via rd now from
Rena's (my girlfriend's) pc. And it's great....but, as I said before, I have
to login to my account at dyndns.org to get the correct ip. And, even then,
it won't work right away when I use the rd client from Rena's pc. I have to
try a few times before it will connect and stop throwing the error message.

Your tips:

1) I don't know how to ping the host I set up at my dyndns.org account...or
maybe I do...here's what I did: From a command prompt on my pc I typed "ping
myname.dyndns.org" and it returns the ping statistics for the current ip of
my machine (the host).

2) I use the linksys befsr41 router and can't find anything in it's admin
about "inbound ICMP" so i don't know if that's enabled or disabled. I don't
even know what that acronym stands for. :-)

3) I'm pinging from the host pc - my pc. I'm sitting at my pc this evening
as we speak.

--

> 1) You should be pinging the host you set up at your dyndns account -
> yourpc.dyndns.org - it should resolve to the public IP of your router.
> 2) You shouldn't have inbound ICMP enabled in your firewall
> 3) From where are you pinging? From the Internet, you shouldn't be able to
> resolve your local computer's name.
>
> Ping
> Tom Richards wrote:
> > When I ping using "ping mypcname" it returns the ip of my pc (the ip
> > i have the 3389 port forwarding to) with 4 packets sent and 4
> > received. Not sure how to analyze this.
> >

> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> > message news:%2359kA2GKEHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> >>
> >> Glad it worked, but you aren't supposed to need to do that - that's
> >> the point of dynamic DNS and the direct update software - so you
> >> won't need to remember or know the IP at all. Did you try the ping
> >> test to see if the host name pointed at the correct IP address?

Anonymous
April 26, 2004 10:17:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

To turn off "inbound ICMP" on a BEFSR41 go the to the "Filters" page and check the "Block WAN
Requests -> Enable" checkbox.

To test all of this you need to be at a remote PC. It is not a valid test to ping or try to access
the PC using the dynamic dns address from a PC on your own network.

One way to check if the dynamic dns service is actually using the correct IP is to go to a XP PC on
your local LAN and do two things...

1. Visit the http://www.whatismyip.com or http://checkip.dyndns.org/ sites and note the reported IP
address.
2. Go to "Start -> Run" and type cmd at the command line. Run the following command at the prompt...

nslookup myname.dns.org

3. Compare the IP addresses returned in steps 1 and 2. They should be the same.

You might try a different service is the current one is not working for you. Personally I use
No-IP.com, which is free. Go to http://www.no-ip.com for details...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

>I appreciate your patience here....I consider myself a semi-nerd....run my
> own website with a mysql database, cgi stuff like message boards, etc., but
> I can't seem to get this whole dns thing. I can get to my pc via rd now from
> Rena's (my girlfriend's) pc. And it's great....but, as I said before, I have
> to login to my account at dyndns.org to get the correct ip. And, even then,
> it won't work right away when I use the rd client from Rena's pc. I have to
> try a few times before it will connect and stop throwing the error message.
>
> Your tips:
>
> 1) I don't know how to ping the host I set up at my dyndns.org account...or
> maybe I do...here's what I did: From a command prompt on my pc I typed "ping
> myname.dyndns.org" and it returns the ping statistics for the current ip of
> my machine (the host).
>
> 2) I use the linksys befsr41 router and can't find anything in it's admin
> about "inbound ICMP" so i don't know if that's enabled or disabled. I don't
> even know what that acronym stands for. :-)
>
> 3) I'm pinging from the host pc - my pc. I'm sitting at my pc this evening
> as we speak.
>
> --
>
> Tom Richards
> email@brainsturgeonSPAM.com
>

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> 1) You should be pinging the host you set up at your dyndns account -
>> yourpc.dyndns.org - it should resolve to the public IP of your router.
>> 2) You shouldn't have inbound ICMP enabled in your firewall
>> 3) From where are you pinging? From the Internet, you shouldn't be able to
>> resolve your local computer's name.
>>
>> Ping
>> Tom Richards wrote:
>> > When I ping using "ping mypcname" it returns the ip of my pc (the ip
>> > i have the 3389 port forwarding to) with 4 packets sent and 4
>> > received. Not sure how to analyze this.
>> >

>> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>> > message news:%2359kA2GKEHA.4032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
April 26, 2004 2:42:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Sooner Al wrote:
<snip>
> You might try a different service is the current one is not working
> for you. Personally I use No-IP.com, which is free. Go to
> http://www.no-ip.com for details...

It does sound like the service itself is working just fine - dyndns is also
free, and I use it all the time. I think your suggestions for testing are
right on the money. :-)

> "Tom Richards" <newsgroups@brainsturgeonSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> I appreciate your patience here....I consider myself a
>> semi-nerd....run my own website with a mysql database, cgi stuff
>> like message boards, etc., but I can't seem to get this whole dns
>> thing. I can get to my pc via rd now from Rena's (my girlfriend's)
>> pc. And it's great....but, as I said before, I have to login to my
>> account at dyndns.org to get the correct ip. And, even then, it
>> won't work right away when I use the rd client from Rena's pc. I
>> have to try a few times before it will connect and stop throwing the
>> error message.
>>
>> Your tips:
>>
>> 1) I don't know how to ping the host I set up at my dyndns.org
>> account...or maybe I do...here's what I did: From a command prompt
>> on my pc I typed "ping myname.dyndns.org" and it returns the ping
>> statistics for the current ip of my machine (the host).
>>
>> 2) I use the linksys befsr41 router and can't find anything in it's
>> admin about "inbound ICMP" so i don't know if that's enabled or
>> disabled. I don't even know what that acronym stands for. :-)
>>
>> 3) I'm pinging from the host pc - my pc. I'm sitting at my pc this
>> evening as we speak.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tom Richards
>> email@brainsturgeonSPAM.com
>>

>> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
>> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
>> message news:eFLyW3TKEHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> 1) You should be pinging the host you set up at your dyndns account
>>> - yourpc.dyndns.org - it should resolve to the public IP of your
>>> router. 2) You shouldn't have inbound ICMP enabled in your firewall
>>> 3) From where are you pinging? From the Internet, you shouldn't be
>>> able to resolve your local computer's name.
>>>
>>> Ping

Anonymous
April 26, 2004 11:49:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thanks Al. I'm at Rena's pc this evening and pinged myname.dyndns.org and
the request timed out after quickly displaying the ip address that
dyndns.org is displaying as the "IP in database" - there is also a "New IP
Address" being shown at dyndns.org. Neither one of these are working when I
try to use rd here to connect. In the past few days rd has worked -
sometimes after trying to logon with it a couple times...but it HAS
worked...just not tonight. Weird.

I'll follow through and try your other suggestions (router settings, etc.)
when I'm home tomorrow night. I'll be able to test the dynamic dns service
with my laptop which runs xp pro and is part of my home network.

news:o ev9BA4KEHA.2260@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> [...]
admin
> > about "inbound ICMP" so i don't know if that's enabled or disabled. I
don't
> > even know what that acronym stands for. :-)
> >
> > 3) I'm pinging from the host pc - my pc. I'm sitting at my pc this
evening
> > as we speak.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Tom Richards
> > email@brainsturgeonSPAM.com
> >

> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
message
> >> 1) You should be pinging the host you set up at your dyndns account -
> >> yourpc.dyndns.org - it should resolve to the public IP of your router.
> >> 2) You shouldn't have inbound ICMP enabled in your firewall
> >> 3) From where are you pinging? From the Internet, you shouldn't be able

April 27, 2004 9:57:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Well, I can't connect at all now from here (client). I'll re-check my
settings when I'm home tonight. :-(

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> Sooner Al wrote:
> <snip>
> > You might try a different service is the current one is not working
> > for you. Personally I use No-IP.com, which is free. Go to
> > http://www.no-ip.com for details...
>
> It does sound like the service itself is working just fine - dyndns is
also
> free, and I use it all the time. I think your suggestions for testing are
> right on the money. :-)
> >

> > "Tom Richards" <newsgroups@brainsturgeonSPAM.com> wrote in message
> >> I appreciate your patience here....I consider myself a
> >> semi-nerd....run my own website with a mysql database, cgi stuff
> >> like message boards, etc., but I can't seem to get this whole dns
> >> thing. I can get to my pc via rd now from Rena's (my girlfriend's)
> >> pc. And it's great....but, as I said before, I have to login to my
> >> account at dyndns.org to get the correct ip. And, even then, it
> >> won't work right away when I use the rd client from Rena's pc. I
> >> have to try a few times before it will connect and stop throwing the
> >> error message.
> >>
> >> Your tips:
> >>
> >> 1) I don't know how to ping the host I set up at my dyndns.org
> >> account...or maybe I do...here's what I did: From a command prompt
> >> on my pc I typed "ping myname.dyndns.org" and it returns the ping
> >> statistics for the current ip of my machine (the host).
> >>
> >> 2) I use the linksys befsr41 router and can't find anything in it's
> >> admin about "inbound ICMP" so i don't know if that's enabled or
> >> disabled. I don't even know what that acronym stands for. :-)
> >>
> >> 3) I'm pinging from the host pc - my pc. I'm sitting at my pc this
> >> evening as we speak.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Tom Richards
> >> email@brainsturgeonSPAM.com
> >>

> >> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> >> <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
> >> message news:eFLyW3TKEHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 9:29:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Well, it worked! Turns out that the reason I couldn't get to my host pc last
night was a power failure at my house - the machine was off. But rena was
able to connect to me by typing myname.dyndns.org in the rd logon window!

--

> [...]

admin
> > about "inbound ICMP" so i don't know if that's enabled or disabled. I
don't
> > even know what that acronym stands for. :-)
> >
> > 3) I'm pinging from the host pc - my pc. I'm sitting at my pc this
evening
> > as we speak.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Tom Richards
> > email@brainsturgeonSPAM.com
> >

> > "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
> > <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in
message
> >> 1) You should be pinging the host you set up at your dyndns account -
> >> yourpc.dyndns.org - it should resolve to the public IP of your router.
> >> 2) You shouldn't have inbound ICMP enabled in your firewall
> >> 3) From where are you pinging? From the Internet, you shouldn't be able

April 27, 2004 9:29:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Glad its working...

--

news:o cN256JLEHA.1340@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...

!