which mpeg2 codec?

I recorded some Olympic programs using my PVR (BTV with WinPVR 350
card). Some files are over 10GB in size (5-6hours). On my desktop PC,
I can't see past the 3.5hr mark using Windows Media Player. But on my
notebook I have no problem with the entire recording.

I think it may have to do with the mpeg2 codec used by WMP. How do I
find out which codec is being used?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Rob Hines <nospam@nodomain.com> wrote:

>I recorded some Olympic programs using my PVR (BTV with WinPVR 350
>card). Some files are over 10GB in size (5-6hours). On my desktop PC,
>I can't see past the 3.5hr mark using Windows Media Player. But on my
>notebook I have no problem with the entire recording.
>
>I think it may have to do with the mpeg2 codec used by WMP. How do I
>find out which codec is being used?

Try a program called GSpot.
It establishes what video codecs are required to play a file.
You might fdind this program at www.dvdrhelp.com

Regards Brian

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 09:00:13 -0400, Rob Hines <nospam@nodomain.com>
wrote:

>I think it may have to do with the mpeg2 codec used by WMP. How do I
>find out which codec is being used?

What you ask is not the codec, but the decoder -the software that
handles the codec. Well, open the clip with MediaPlayer, right click,
select Properties on the contextual menu, click the Advanced tab, and
there you have all that's being used.