Remote Desktop Thru Microsoft Base Station

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

I just upgraded to a Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-700. I can connect to the Internet just fine (otherwise this message would have been VERY hard to post). I can not, however, connect to my home computer from elsewhere anymore via Remote Desktop Connection. I used to be able to, and yes, I've set up the router to forward the 3389 port to my computer's IP address... just as it used to be! I don't get it! I've tried everything! HELP! (why is it a third-party router has no problem with this, but a Microsoft one does??? arg!)
Please email me with an answer if you can! Thanx a lot!
-Drew
6 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop microsoft base station
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Actually, other routers have this problem from time to time, too..

    Check out the
    news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware
    newsgroup for information on newer firmware releases...

    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
    jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

    Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    be answered depending on time availability....

    Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:56:03 -0700, "Drew" <simmax@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I just upgraded to a Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-700. I can connect to the Internet just fine (otherwise this message would have been VERY hard to post). I can not, however, connect to my home computer from elsewhere anymore via Remote Desktop Connection. I used to be able to, and yes, I've set up the router to forward the 3389 port to my computer's IP address... just as it used to be! I don't get it! I've tried everything! HELP! (why is it a third-party router has no problem with this, but a Microsoft one does??? arg!)
    >Please email me with an answer if you can! Thanx a lot!
    >-Drew
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Drew, it is not "safe hex" to use a real email address unmunged in a public
    newsgroup.

    Aside from spammers, the SWEN virus is definitely still out there and pulls
    emails from public newsgroups. Beware of messages bearing (rather large)
    attachments.

    About all I can say is to double check all the details. I've got this
    working just fine via an MN-500. Check on the forwarding instructions in
    the base station--3389, TCP. Is the local IP address correct? Any chance
    that your firewall is on on the PC itself?


    "Drew" <simmax@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    news:162A0C22-7CF8-49A7-AAA7-1B9815362197@microsoft.com...
    >I just upgraded to a Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-700. I can connect
    >to the Internet just fine (otherwise this message would have been VERY hard
    >to post). I can not, however, connect to my home computer from elsewhere
    >anymore via Remote Desktop Connection. I used to be able to, and yes, I've
    >set up the router to forward the 3389 port to my computer's IP address...
    >just as it used to be! I don't get it! I've tried everything! HELP!
    >(why is it a third-party router has no problem with this, but a Microsoft
    >one does??? arg!)
    > Please email me with an answer if you can! Thanx a lot!
    > -Drew
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Only sad thing is that the MN700 is not as stable as the MN500 (thus
    why I use mine as an access point)... Port forwarding was an issue
    with the original firmware rev...

    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
    jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

    Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    be answered depending on time availability....

    Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:14:26 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >Drew, it is not "safe hex" to use a real email address unmunged in a public
    >newsgroup.
    >
    >Aside from spammers, the SWEN virus is definitely still out there and pulls
    >emails from public newsgroups. Beware of messages bearing (rather large)
    >attachments.
    >
    >About all I can say is to double check all the details. I've got this
    >working just fine via an MN-500. Check on the forwarding instructions in
    >the base station--3389, TCP. Is the local IP address correct? Any chance
    >that your firewall is on on the PC itself?
    >
    >
    >"Drew" <simmax@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >news:162A0C22-7CF8-49A7-AAA7-1B9815362197@microsoft.com...
    >>I just upgraded to a Microsoft Wireless Base Station MN-700. I can connect
    >>to the Internet just fine (otherwise this message would have been VERY hard
    >>to post). I can not, however, connect to my home computer from elsewhere
    >>anymore via Remote Desktop Connection. I used to be able to, and yes, I've
    >>set up the router to forward the 3389 port to my computer's IP address...
    >>just as it used to be! I don't get it! I've tried everything! HELP!
    >>(why is it a third-party router has no problem with this, but a Microsoft
    >>one does??? arg!)
    >> Please email me with an answer if you can! Thanx a lot!
    >> -Drew
    >
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    I've gone through and double (triple and quadruple checked, in fact) everything and all is as it should be set up. The port is 3389 and is forwarding to 3389 to my computer's IP address. I've been looking online for answers elsewhere, but I can't find any (and of course everyone says check again... which of course is the first answer, but in this case, isn't the right one, even though I appreciate the help). I've checked out the site you're email is from, but the router issue section is down (remotenetworktechnology.com). Is there anything else you can suggest?
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Sorry!

    I didn't hear you say clearly that you've checked that your firmware is
    current, so here's a link which gives a location for that:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=831277

    "Drew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    news:88479920-B215-4675-9FEF-AD52EB11AD35@microsoft.com...
    > I've gone through and double (triple and quadruple checked, in fact)
    > everything and all is as it should be set up. The port is 3389 and is
    > forwarding to 3389 to my computer's IP address. I've been looking online
    > for answers elsewhere, but I can't find any (and of course everyone says
    > check again... which of course is the first answer, but in this case,
    > isn't the right one, even though I appreciate the help). I've checked out
    > the site you're email is from, but the router issue section is down
    > (remotenetworktechnology.com). Is there anything else you can suggest?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely (More info?)

    Right... The Base Station Utility doesn't seem to detect firmware
    updates. These things are typically found in the newsgroups or KB
    articles...

    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)
    jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com

    Please post all responses to the newsgroups for the benefit
    of all USENET users. Messages sent via email may or may not
    be answered depending on time availability....

    Remote Networking Technology Support Site -
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
    Windows XP Expert Zone - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:19:27 -0400, "Bill Sanderson"
    <Bill_Sanderson@msn.com.plugh.org> wrote:

    >Sorry!
    >
    >I didn't hear you say clearly that you've checked that your firmware is
    >current, so here's a link which gives a location for that:
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=831277
    >
    >"Drew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >news:88479920-B215-4675-9FEF-AD52EB11AD35@microsoft.com...
    >> I've gone through and double (triple and quadruple checked, in fact)
    >> everything and all is as it should be set up. The port is 3389 and is
    >> forwarding to 3389 to my computer's IP address. I've been looking online
    >> for answers elsewhere, but I can't find any (and of course everyone says
    >> check again... which of course is the first answer, but in this case,
    >> isn't the right one, even though I appreciate the help). I've checked out
    >> the site you're email is from, but the router issue section is down
    >> (remotenetworktechnology.com). Is there anything else you can suggest?
    >
Ask a new question

Read More

Remote Desktop Connection Microsoft Windows XP