Pinnacle and Sony Camcorder

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 24, 2004 4:21:11 AM

Am I the only person with this combination ? After trying the whole
pinnacle support repertoire, I have discovered the following:

1. Pinnacle is happy to capture AVI from the camcorder, and use it to
create a movie, but crashes during the rendering process.

2. VirtualDub says the AVI files from Pinnacle/Sony are of unknown
format.

3. VirtualDub will not capture from the camcorder for the same reason.

4. The Pixela software which came with the camcorder will capture ok,
but it creates MPEG files.

5. Pinnacle professes to handle MPEG files, but makes a complete hash
of it, so that movie editing is near to impossible.

6. VirtualDub is happy to convert Pixela MPEG files to AVI format, and
one that it understands of course.

7. Pinnacle will now hopefully make and render movies from these AVI
files (still have to try this bit !!)

Or am I doing something stupid (apart from buying a Sony camcorder). ?
Anonymous
August 24, 2004 5:36:02 AM

Gilbert Smith wrote:
> Am I the only person with this combination ? After trying the whole
> pinnacle support repertoire, I have discovered the following:
>
> 1. Pinnacle is happy to capture AVI from the camcorder, and use it to
> create a movie, but crashes during the rendering process.
>
> 2. VirtualDub says the AVI files from Pinnacle/Sony are of unknown
> format.
>
> 3. VirtualDub will not capture from the camcorder for the same reason.
>
> 4. The Pixela software which came with the camcorder will capture ok,
> but it creates MPEG files.
>
> 5. Pinnacle professes to handle MPEG files, but makes a complete hash
> of it, so that movie editing is near to impossible.
>
> 6. VirtualDub is happy to convert Pixela MPEG files to AVI format, and
> one that it understands of course.
>
> 7. Pinnacle will now hopefully make and render movies from these AVI
> files (still have to try this bit !!)
>
> Or am I doing something stupid (apart from buying a Sony camcorder). ?

I think Sony Camcorders are fine. I love my DCR-TRV730 and have been very
happily using it in conjunction with Pinnacle Studio 8 capture to AVI edit
render to Mpeg streaming or Mpegs for burning VCDs, SVCDs and DVDs
flawlessly. If you need to combine SW for end results depending on your
needs you will find other applications like TMPGEnc DVD Author for burning
or Nero or many others. To create Mpegs for burning you could use TMPGEce
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html free. Some say it gives better
results then S8.

Cliff
!