Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Shutdown Problem

Last response: in Windows 8
November 14, 2012 3:10:59 AM

Hey guys, I just had a question about a shutdown problem I experienced on Windows 8. After pressing the shutdown button, it went to the shutdown screen, so naturally I got up and walked away having been done using my computer for the time. However, when I came back 2 hours later, I had find that my computer had never shutdown and was still on the same shutdown screen, and, though I hate having to result in doing this, I did a force shutdown. After turning it back on it was configuring updates, yet had never told me when it was stuck on the shutdown screen that it was downloading updates and not to turn off the computer. It is running finely right now, this only disturbs me because I do not want this to happen again and waste energy + cause me to have to force shutdown.

More about : shutdown problem

Best solution

a b * Windows 8
November 14, 2012 3:25:03 AM

When shutting down, I tell people to watch the system for about a minute after clicking shut down to make sure it does, and if it is installing updates, to make sure that there isn't a problem that needs to be addressed before shutting down. Otherwise you end up in a situation like you described, where a computer is left running for hours effectively doing nothing.

When you see delays in shutting down like that, either a running process isn't closing quickly enough to allow the system to begin shutting down, or in the case of installing patches, a patch install has hung and is preventing the system from installing the rest of the patches and then shutting down.

I've seen this behavior all the way back to Windows 2000. It's happened less and less with each iteration, but does still occur every once in awhile. Windows has also gotten much more robust in terms of dealing with terminating patch installs "mid-flight", so there is much less chance of you completely screwing up your Windows install when you have to force a shutdown.
November 14, 2012 4:41:55 PM

All the updates seemed to have installed fine, haven't had any problems with it since that shutdown. I'll try to make sure I check to make sure it shuts down, as a matter of fact after getting back on and shutting it down again, the system alerted me that skype was preventing it from shutting down, which has never happened to me before but perhaps this was the problem with the original shutdown and it could have to do with installing updates as discussed. Thanks for the help, I like mods that partake in answering questions on the forums :D 
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
November 14, 2012 6:19:35 PM

powercfg.exe /energy

- look at the report and it will indicate why they system refused to shutdown. The system will ask for permission from running software before it shutdown. Some software will tell the system not to shut down. Windows media center comes to mind
November 14, 2012 10:24:36 PM

johnbl said:
powercfg.exe /energy

- look at the report and it will indicate why they system refused to shutdown. The system will ask for permission from running software before it shutdown. Some software will tell the system not to shut down. Windows media center comes to mind

I tried running this by the script box opens and closes immediately
a b * Windows 8
November 14, 2012 11:02:59 PM

start cmd.exe as a admin first then run the command.
i think it puts the report in your windows\system32\
directory. energy-report.html I think. if you can not read it, just locate it and copy the file and paste it to your desktop to look at it
November 15, 2012 12:01:36 AM

This is quite normal. Some updates need a restart and hang when you shut down.

I have experienced this myself. Its normal and no need to worry.
a b * Windows 8
November 15, 2012 3:39:25 AM

geis said:
I tried running this by the script box opens and closes immediately

It may need to run with admin rights. Right click in the bottom left corner of the screen (or hit the Windows Key + X on your keyboard) to bring up the power users menu. Select "Command Prompt (Admin)". Then run the powercfg /energy command.
November 22, 2012 3:46:18 AM

Best answer selected by geis.
January 18, 2013 10:25:42 AM

The_Prophecy said:
It may need to run with admin rights. Right click in the bottom left corner of the screen (or hit the Windows Key + X on your keyboard) to bring up the power users menu. Select "Command Prompt (Admin)". Then run the powercfg /energy command.

I hv the same problem when i try the above cmd. i find following error , pls reply how to fix kumarnaik@hotmail.com

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.2.9200]
(c) 2012 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg.exe /energy
Enabling tracing for 60 seconds...
Observing system behavior...
Analyzing trace data...
Analysis complete.

Energy efficiency problems were found.

2 Errors
1 Warnings
21 Informational

See C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html for more details

!