Best Affordable Capture Card

I'm currently in the process of trying to find a relatively cheap but good
quality video (analog) capture card. At first it looked like I could choose
between several options for around $100. Then I read reviews of the products
and I'm not so sure. The problem with the reveiws is they were from one
online retailer and there is no real validity to the "reviews" since anyone
can post. That's why I'm here.

The one I have seen the most on is "Pinnacle Studio AV/DV Version 9" and
that's one I was leaning towards. I also looked at a Ulead product. Under
$150 I see Adaptec has a capture card. I'm not opposed to going that high
but that would be the absolute limit given our budget. If the quality is
worth it, we would certainly do it. Suggestions?

My need is simple; at least I think it's simple:
1) Need a way to port Analog video (8mm) to the computer (w/sound of course)
and retain the integrity of the original as much as possible.

I have a DVD burner on the machine already with Sonic MyDVD as the burners
software.
3 answers Last reply
More about best affordable capture card

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 11:10:38 -0500, "Randolph Scott"
    <rscott@wildwest.com> wrote:
    >I'm currently in the process of trying to find a relatively cheap but good
    >quality video (analog) capture card. At first it looked like I could choose

    Many (virtually all ???) capture CARDS have problems with some brand
    and model motherboards... I use a Pinnacle Dv500 which works well with
    MY brand/model motherboard, but there are lots of messages in the
    support forum for the card about motherboard problems

    I don't know the prices of these, but you might take a look at these
    external devices Canopus ADVC-100 Canopus ADVC-300
    http://www.videoguys.com/canopus.htm

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    > My need is simple; at least I think it's simple:
    > 1) Need a way to port Analog video (8mm) to the computer (w/sound of course)
    > and retain the integrity of the original as much as possible.

    best way? digital8 camcorder from Sony off www.ebay.com

    (eg.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48512&item=3835351006&rd=1
    Sony DCR-TRV240 for ~$205)

    a) you can play all of your 8mm tapes on this camcorder, and download
    them directly into the PC over a Firewire card (<$20 for the PC).
    Simple as can be and retains as much of the quality of the original as
    can be expected for a consumer.

    b) you can replace your current camcorder inexpensively with a
    digital model that has higher resolution and quality at a cheap price.

    ----

    Otherwise, any WinTV or ATI All-In-Wonder card (as low as $20-40 for
    a used AIW 128 on ebay.com; same for WinTV) will do.

    Here, it's more complex. You'll need to download VirtualDub to
    capture the video, a free codec such as Huffyuv or a pay-for codec such
    as PicVideo MJPEG or any of the commercial DV codecs from MainConcept
    etc, and a fast enough PC to capture the analog video to the drive in
    standard resolution (720x480x29.97frames/sec).

    ---

    Either way, you'll get about the best quality you can get off an analog
    8mm tape for a consumer for editing on a PC. I've done it both ways
    (digital through a ADVC-100 box with does the exact same thing the
    digital8 camcorder does for analog to digital conversion; analog through
    AIW 128 & 8500DV cards), and they both work fine.

    Don't bother with a card - I tried the Pinnacle AV/DV and it was useless,
    mainly because I couldn't get the software to run.
    I eventually decided to try a Canopus ADVC55,
    http://www.canopus-uk.com/UK/products/ADVC55/pm_advc55.asp,
    and I love it. So far the longest capture I've made was 36 minutes in
    length, and the quality of the capture was superb, with no dropped frames.
    The box connects to the PC via firewire, and needs no power supply or
    drivers. IIRC I paid £146 UKP for it.

    --
    Peace !

    Steve Wilcox

    "If Whisky Don't Kill Me I'll Live 'Til I Die"

    stevegwilcox@NOSPAMblueyonder.co.uk

Tuner Cards Video Graphics