Tivo like software?

I have an ATI TV Wonder, VE. I heard there is software that will let it
function like a Tivo. Does anyone know the name? How well does it work?

I'd like to replace my card with one that supports HDTV. Can anyone
recommend a good, inexpensive card?

--
Bill Cousert
bill@cousert.com

"It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life hums along like a song.
But the man worth while is the man who can smile when
everything goes dead wrong.".
4 answers Last reply
More about tivo software

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:12:28 GMT, "Bootstrap Bill"
    <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have an ATI TV Wonder, VE. I heard there is software that will let it
    >function like a Tivo. Does anyone know the name? How well does it work?

    Exactly, there isn't one, but search for PC DVR and you should come up
    with some. Off the top of my head, I can think of Snapstream,
    BeyondTV, Sage, and MyhtPC.

    I have no direct experience with any, as I have a real Tivo.

    >I'd like to replace my card with one that supports HDTV. Can anyone
    >recommend a good, inexpensive card?

    HDTV how? The are appearing on the market some decent priced ATSC/FTA
    QAM cards. AFAIK, HD Component in cards, if there are any, are darned
    expensive.

    <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have an ATI TV Wonder, VE. I heard there is software that will let it
    >function like a Tivo. Does anyone know the name? How well does it work?
    >
    >I'd like to replace my card with one that supports HDTV. Can anyone
    >recommend a good, inexpensive card?

    I use Sage TV and it is excellent... Beyond TV is in Beta testing for
    ver 3.5 which is a completely new engine from the ver 3.4 that is
    currently selling... I had a lot of problems with Beyond TV and no
    problems with Sage TV...
    Glenn M

    A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

    > I have an ATI TV Wonder, VE. I heard there is software that will let it
    > function like a Tivo. Does anyone know the name? How well does it work?

    I am using Beyond-TV from SnapStream to function as "Tivo". I am very
    satisfied with it. My wife also finds it to be very easy to use. It
    still has something that doesn't work right; but the problem is not
    essential enough for me.

    You can find an article about this stuff in PC Magazine a couple month
    ago. You may want to read it in their web site, or you may find the
    link to that article in SnapStream web site.

    I am under the impression that ATI also has video card(s) that have
    this kind of function. If you like ATI video card, you may want to
    look into this.

    There are many messages about this topic in this newsgroup. You can
    use the keywords DVR or PVR to look for those messages.

    Hope you will find what you want.

    Jay Chan

    Glenn M wrote:

    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 23:12:28 GMT, "Bootstrap Bill"
    > <wrcousert@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I have an ATI TV Wonder, VE. I heard there is software that will let it
    > >function like a Tivo. Does anyone know the name? How well does it work?
    > >
    > >I'd like to replace my card with one that supports HDTV. Can anyone
    > >recommend a good, inexpensive card?
    >
    > I use Sage TV and it is excellent... Beyond TV is in Beta testing for
    > ver 3.5 which is a completely new engine from the ver 3.4 that is
    > currently selling... I had a lot of problems with Beyond TV and no
    > problems with Sage TV...
    > Glenn M
    >
    > A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

    I've never used Sage, but I love BeyondTV.

Tuner Cards Tivo Software Graphics Product