Use 21" monitors as TVs with Hauuppauge 250 card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b C Monitor
August 25, 2004 10:24:40 AM

Rather than using a media hub to "pipe" video to conventional TV sets
thru out my home (bedroom, front room, kitchen).. could I instead
buy and use 21" tube monitors and pipe that signal to them via
ethernet somehow?

I already have one Dell 21" tube monitor and have seen others for sale
at good prices on Ebay. My idea is to buy the Haupauge 250 TV/PVR
card and have a TV/video "server" hidden away in another room and pipe
the TV/video signal to multiple computer monitors in several rooms.
But what hardware will i need to pipe that signal via ethernet cable?

Advice? Opinions?

Thanks in advance!!
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 25, 2004 10:53:47 AM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 06:24:40 -0500, me6@privacy.net wrote:

>Rather than using a media hub to "pipe" video to conventional TV sets
>thru out my home (bedroom, front room, kitchen).. could I instead
>buy and use 21" tube monitors and pipe that signal to them via
>ethernet somehow?
>
>I already have one Dell 21" tube monitor and have seen others for sale
>at good prices on Ebay. My idea is to buy the Haupauge 250 TV/PVR
>card and have a TV/video "server" hidden away in another room and pipe
>the TV/video signal to multiple computer monitors in several rooms.
>But what hardware will i need to pipe that signal via ethernet cable?
>
>Advice? Opinions?
>
>Thanks in advance!!

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_mediamvp.h...
works well for me if I understand your need correctly.

Rich M.
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2004 6:36:11 PM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:49:49 -0500, me6@privacy.net wrote:

>>http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_mediamvp.h...
>>works well for me if I understand your need correctly.
>
>So the above hub has video outputs for a PC
>monitor...... and NOT just outputs for a reg TV only?

I should have corrected myself. This device is for composite video
only. Will not work with a stand PC monitor unless PC monitor has
composite video inputs, which I doubt. Not sure why one would want to
use a PC monitor in this application anyway.

Rich M.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2004 6:36:12 PM

"Richard M." wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:49:49 -0500, me6@privacy.net wrote:
>

> >>http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_mediamvp.h...
> >>works well for me if I understand your need correctly.
> >
> >So the above hub has video outputs for a PC
> >monitor...... and NOT just outputs for a reg TV only?
>

> I should have corrected myself. This device is for composite video
> only. Will not work with a stand PC monitor unless PC monitor has
> composite video inputs, which I doubt. Not sure why one would want to
> use a PC monitor in this application anyway.
>
> Rich M.

As an MVP owner, I wouldn't reccommend using a MediaMVP unless one is
desperate. They're not very good, except for the picture quality.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2004 6:50:08 PM

> Not sure why one would want to
>use a PC monitor in this application anyway.

Why not?

Can get 21" tube monitors used for less than $100

What is wrong with using several of them spread around
house for TV via a TV/PVR card?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2004 7:29:13 PM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:50:08 -0500, me6@privacy.net wrote:

>> Not sure why one would want to
>>use a PC monitor in this application anyway.
>
>Why not?
>
>Can get 21" tube monitors used for less than $100
>
>What is wrong with using several of them spread around
>house for TV via a TV/PVR card?

Not necessarily saying it's a bad idea, but I am not sure I am
understanding your application. You want to be able to view video or
whatever from your PC but somehow distribute the signal via the VGA
port to multiple monitors around your house. The TV/PVR 250 card is
an input only device for recording broadcast/video signals.

I use this card to record from a Directv sat receiver with Beyond TV 3
software (http://www.snapstream.com/Products/Products_PVS3.asp) then
use the MediaMVP to stream or 'pipe' recorded broadcast and MP3 files
to other locations via Ethernet. You can have up to 6 of these on the
same network. From reading your original post, this would meet one
of your objectives, but not with a PC monitor with just VGA inputs. I
can't offhand think of anything that can do this using VGA inputs on
your 21" monitors without a PC attached, which I have done also. But
a 20" standard TV with video input ports can be had new from Wal-mart
for around $100 and comes with a built-in tuner.

Rich M.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2004 7:53:19 PM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:31:17 -0700, Keith Clark
<clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

>As an MVP owner, I wouldn't reccommend using a MediaMVP unless one is
>desperate. They're not very good, except for the picture quality.

I guess that would depend on what your application is. Suits mine
perfectly. Never had a moments trouble with it and I can customize my
screens. 'They're not very good' at doing what?

I realize there are other boxes that do this, but not at this price.

Rich M.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2004 7:53:20 PM

"Richard M." wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:31:17 -0700, Keith Clark
> <clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >As an MVP owner, I wouldn't reccommend using a MediaMVP unless one is
> >desperate. They're not very good, except for the picture quality.
>
> I guess that would depend on what your application is. Suits mine
> perfectly. Never had a moments trouble with it and I can customize my
> screens. 'They're not very good' at doing what?
>
> I realize there are other boxes that do this, but not at this price.
>
> Rich M.

Well if you use the Hauppauge software, then they're not good for fast
forward, reverse, skipping forward or backwards, there's no OSD so you
don't know where in the program stream you are, you can't stop watching
something in the middle and come back to it later if you reboot the server
machine, there's so little RAM for buffering that the tiniest network
issue can cause stuttering, etc.

Price? There are $30 VCRs that do a hell of a lot better job of playing
than a MediaMVP does and that's at 1/3 of the price.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 27, 2004 10:10:24 PM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:09:50 -0700, Keith Clark
<clarkphotography@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Well if you use the Hauppauge software, then they're not good for fast
>forward, reverse, skipping forward or backwards, there's no OSD so you
>don't know where in the program stream you are, you can't stop watching
>something in the middle and come back to it later if you reboot the server
>machine, there's so little RAM for buffering that the tiniest network
>issue can cause stuttering, etc.
>
>Price? There are $30 VCRs that do a hell of a lot better job of playing
>than a MediaMVP does and that's at 1/3 of the price.

I would investigate your setup. I've never had these issues OR they
are not issues. I haven't tried streaming video or playing mp3's or
displaying jpgs from my VCRs yet. I can't even locate the the ethernet
jacks on ANY of mine, and they are considerably more than $30.

Rich M.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 28, 2004 9:39:35 PM

Must be pretty happy watching movies w/o audio?

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 06:24:40 -0500, me6@privacy.net wrote:

=>Rather than using a media hub to "pipe" video to conventional TV sets
=>thru out my home (bedroom, front room, kitchen).. could I instead
=>buy and use 21" tube monitors and pipe that signal to them via
=>ethernet somehow?
=>
=>I already have one Dell 21" tube monitor and have seen others for sale
=>at good prices on Ebay. My idea is to buy the Haupauge 250 TV/PVR
=>card and have a TV/video "server" hidden away in another room and pipe
=>the TV/video signal to multiple computer monitors in several rooms.
=>But what hardware will i need to pipe that signal via ethernet cable?
=>
=>Advice? Opinions?
=>
=>Thanks in advance!!

Stores are dumping 30+ TV sets like dirts.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 29, 2004 12:59:52 AM

>Must be pretty happy watching movies w/o audio?

>Stores are dumping 30+ TV sets like dirts.

Yes..... you are correct. Hadn't thought of the above.

I was just thinking that maybe if one could watch the save PVR video
without converting it to NTSC signal..... that might make for a better
system. Hence my question abt distributing video to several monitors
via ethernet rather than to several reg TVs
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 30, 2004 10:04:23 PM

>Analog TVs can "hide" artifacts that would show up crystal clear on a
>non-interlaced high res computer monitor. And like someone else said,
>analog TVs are cheaper.

Wow...... interesting!

Thanks for that info and explanation
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2004 3:00:20 PM

>You can pick up an ATI Radeon 7000 with TV out for like $30 US now if
>you want to get somthing to experiment with.

Yeah I might do that

However my short term goal is buy/build a new PC this
winter. Something with some muscle

Tell me something.... would a dual CPU unit be overkill
for PVR use?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2004 3:00:21 PM

me6@privacy.net wrote:

> >You can pick up an ATI Radeon 7000 with TV out for like $30 US now if
> >you want to get somthing to experiment with.
>
> Yeah I might do that
>
> However my short term goal is buy/build a new PC this
> winter. Something with some muscle
>
> Tell me something.... would a dual CPU unit be overkill
> for PVR use?

A complete waste of electricity and money.

I use a $65 Celeron (2.4 GHz) for my DVR and it's never once "bogged
down". I do no rendering on the machine, only recording and viewing, and
it's plenty fast.

Now consider that you if you use Intel CPUs you'd need dual Xeons, and a
$400 motherboard. I don't know how much a dual AMD system goes for, but
it's really hard to beat the cost of a $100 motherboard and $65 CPU...

Spend the money on a slick case that will look great in your living room,
and some 250GB hard drives, not CPU.

Save the "muscle" for your desktop machine. At least that'd be my
recommendation...
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2004 5:11:06 PM

In article <sv79j05q6607mbjh8t1g00u3mrn1nnrq4p@4ax.com>, me6@privacy.net
says...
> >You can pick up an ATI Radeon 7000 with TV out for like $30 US now if
> >you want to get somthing to experiment with.
>
> Yeah I might do that
>
> However my short term goal is buy/build a new PC this
> winter. Something with some muscle
>
> Tell me something.... would a dual CPU unit be overkill
> for PVR use?

Probably, especially if you plan to run windows.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

>> Tell me something.... would a dual CPU unit be overkill
>> for PVR use?
>>

>Probably, especially if you plan to run windows.

Why?
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2004 5:11:07 PM

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> In article <sv79j05q6607mbjh8t1g00u3mrn1nnrq4p@4ax.com>, me6@privacy.net
> says...
> > >You can pick up an ATI Radeon 7000 with TV out for like $30 US now if
> > >you want to get somthing to experiment with.
> >
> > Yeah I might do that
> >
> > However my short term goal is buy/build a new PC this
> > winter. Something with some muscle
> >
> > Tell me something.... would a dual CPU unit be overkill
> > for PVR use?
> >

> Probably, especially if you plan to run windows.
> --

Depends on the version of Windows. Win2K and XP Pro can both do very well
with dual procs. But in the end it comes down to the application. I kind of
doubt that BeyondTV is multi-threaded since it doesn't need much horsepower.
I've never seen a codec that was multithreaded, so I doubt he'd get any real
benefit unless he was doing heavy software rendering or gaming - on a
separate hard drive from the PVR drive.

For a living room dedicated DVR box, it'd be a complete waste IMO.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2004 7:12:37 PM

In article <gcb9j095l4dudjgo2ml7l8340kf9iu7l9i@4ax.com>, me6@privacy.net
says...
> >> Tell me something.... would a dual CPU unit be overkill
> >> for PVR use?
> >>

> >Probably, especially if you plan to run windows.
>
> Why?

The applications you will be running were not written to take advantage
of it and you don't even need a fast single processor to run them
anyway. Now if you were going to do a lot of post processing with the
same machine, then it might make sense. Mine is an AMD Duron 1.6 with
256mb ram. It can play two shows at once, one out through the PVR-350
and one through the TV out on the Radeon 9200SE. While it's doing that
it can still record through the 350 which only uses 1-2% cpu with the
GBPVR recording service.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> In article <gcb9j095l4dudjgo2ml7l8340kf9iu7l9i@4ax.com>, me6@privacy.net
> says...
> > >>

> > >Probably, especially if you plan to run windows.
> >
> > Why?
> >

> The applications you will be running were not written to take advantage
> of it and you don't even need a fast single processor to run them
> anyway. Now if you were going to do a lot of post processing with the
> same machine, then it might make sense. Mine is an AMD Duron 1.6 with
> 256mb ram. It can play two shows at once, one out through the PVR-350
> and one through the TV out on the Radeon 9200SE. While it's doing that
> it can still record through the 350 which only uses 1-2% cpu with the
> GBPVR recording service.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

But the statement was "if you run Windows".

The answer still doesn't address this adequately since the reasons you gave
are just as applicable to Linux. It still comes down to needing
multi-threaded applications.

Anyway, I completely agree with you.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2004 8:52:04 PM

In article <4134C5E3.C47C5AB7@hotmail.com>, clarkphotography@hotmail.com
says...

> But the statement was "if you run Windows".
>
> The answer still doesn't address this adequately since the reasons you gave
> are just as applicable to Linux. It still comes down to needing
> multi-threaded applications.
>
> Anyway, I completely agree with you.

Well without saying it my point was that I doubt there are any PVR apps
for windows that are multithreaded where as MythTV can be.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> In article <4134C5E3.C47C5AB7@hotmail.com>, clarkphotography@hotmail.com
> says...
> >
> > But the statement was "if you run Windows".
> >
> > The answer still doesn't address this adequately since the reasons you gave
> > are just as applicable to Linux. It still comes down to needing
> > multi-threaded applications.
> >
> > Anyway, I completely agree with you.
> >

> Well without saying it my point was that I doubt there are any PVR apps
> for windows that are multithreaded where as MythTV can be.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

OK, I'll buy that - actually, if someone would come out with a SuSE RPM that
would seamlessly install as easily as BeyondTV and give me DVD compliant files
and seamlessly install support for my PVR-250s, and *support* it, I truly *would*
buy it. I really liked the Myth interface when I had it partially running. I'd
much rather have my media center running Linux. Oh well. Can't complain about
BeyondTV...at least it doesn't use the painfully slow "xmltv" guide that Myth
does.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
August 31, 2004 9:30:03 PM

In article <4134DD2C.643AF7A5@hotmail.com>, clarkphotography@hotmail.com
says...

> OK, I'll buy that - actually, if someone would come out with a SuSE RPM that
> would seamlessly install as easily as BeyondTV and give me DVD compliant files
> and seamlessly install support for my PVR-250s, and *support* it, I truly *would*
> buy it. I really liked the Myth interface when I had it partially running. I'd
> much rather have my media center running Linux. Oh well. Can't complain about
> BeyondTV...at least it doesn't use the painfully slow "xmltv" guide that Myth
> does.

I still haven't tried the new demo for Beyond TV but GBPVR .20 is doing
everything I want so far, the PVR-350 support is only as good as
Hauppage's drivers though so I have been using my ATI for playback
lately. The only thing is lacks right now is VBR support.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> In article <4134DD2C.643AF7A5@hotmail.com>, clarkphotography@hotmail.com
> says...
> >
> > OK, I'll buy that - actually, if someone would come out with a SuSE RPM that
> > would seamlessly install as easily as BeyondTV and give me DVD compliant files
> > and seamlessly install support for my PVR-250s, and *support* it, I truly *would*
> > buy it. I really liked the Myth interface when I had it partially running. I'd
> > much rather have my media center running Linux. Oh well. Can't complain about
> > BeyondTV...at least it doesn't use the painfully slow "xmltv" guide that Myth
> > does.
> >

> I still haven't tried the new demo for Beyond TV but GBPVR .20 is doing
> everything I want so far, the PVR-350 support is only as good as
> Hauppage's drivers though so I have been using my ATI for playback
> lately. The only thing is lacks right now is VBR support.
> --

Why do you want VBR? If you record in BR and then edit out commercials, then audio sync
becomes a real issue, at least that's been my experience. I'm really happy with CBR at
7000 kbits...
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 1, 2004 3:04:06 PM

In article <413506E8.96D30A19@hotmail.com>, clarkphotography@hotmail.com
says...
> > > much rather have my media center running Linux. Oh well. Can't complain about
> > > BeyondTV...at least it doesn't use the painfully slow "xmltv" guide that Myth
> > > does.
> > >

> > I still haven't tried the new demo for Beyond TV but GBPVR .20 is doing
> > everything I want so far, the PVR-350 support is only as good as
> > Hauppage's drivers though so I have been using my ATI for playback
> > lately. The only thing is lacks right now is VBR support.
> > --
>
> Why do you want VBR? If you record in BR and then edit out commercials, then audio sync
> becomes a real issue, at least that's been my experience. I'm really happy with CBR at
> 7000 kbits...

Simply, VBR gives better quality for the same amount of space. And 7000
is way out of the rage of what I can use to fit 2:30 on a DVD.
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> In article <413506E8.96D30A19@hotmail.com>, clarkphotography@hotmail.com
> says...
> > > >

> > > I still haven't tried the new demo for Beyond TV but GBPVR .20 is doing
> > > everything I want so far, the PVR-350 support is only as good as
> > > Hauppage's drivers though so I have been using my ATI for playback
> > > lately. The only thing is lacks right now is VBR support.
> > > --
> >
> > Why do you want VBR? If you record in BR and then edit out commercials, then audio sync
> > becomes a real issue, at least that's been my experience. I'm really happy with CBR at
> > 7000 kbits...
> >

> Simply, VBR gives better quality for the same amount of space. And 7000
> is way out of the rage of what I can use to fit 2:30 on a DVD.
> --
> _________________________
> Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> http://www.ramsays-online.com

What I do when I have more than will fit is author to a folder on the hard drive and then use
DVD-Shrink to squeeze it down to size. Works pretty well, since DVD-Shrink is really fast.
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 1, 2004 6:44:33 PM

In article <4135F86F.A9620194@hotmail.com>, clarkphotography@hotmail.com
says...
> > Simply, VBR gives better quality for the same amount of space. And 7000
> > is way out of the rage of what I can use to fit 2:30 on a DVD.
> > --
> > _________________________
> > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> > http://www.ramsays-online.com
>
> What I do when I have more than will fit is author to a folder on the hard drive and then use
> DVD-Shrink to squeeze it down to size. Works pretty well, since DVD-Shrink is really fast.

I've been thinking of trying that since I don't have the patience to
reencode a whole 5 gigs just to cut down the file size by 500 megs,
sometimes something I'm recording like a race will run long and my
calculated bitrate ends up screwing me over :)
--
_________________________
http://www.ramsays-online.com

Chris Phillipo wrote:

> In article <4135F86F.A9620194@hotmail.com>, clarkphotography@hotmail.com
> says...
> > > Simply, VBR gives better quality for the same amount of space. And 7000
> > > is way out of the rage of what I can use to fit 2:30 on a DVD.
> > > --
> > > _________________________
> > > Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
> > > http://www.ramsays-online.com
> >
> > What I do when I have more than will fit is author to a folder on the hard drive and then use
> > DVD-Shrink to squeeze it down to size. Works pretty well, since DVD-Shrink is really fast.
> >

> I've been thinking of trying that since I don't have the patience to
> reencode a whole 5 gigs just to cut down the file size by 500 megs,
> sometimes something I'm recording like a race will run long and my
> calculated bitrate ends up screwing me over :)
> --

The only time I have any problems is if the total of the files will be over 9 GB. Then Ulead DVD
Movie factory barfs on itself.

But DVD Shrink is a very cool tool.
!