Any tiny camcorders that use a hard drive yet?

Tim

I don't see why someone can not make a camcorder with one of those
40gb MP3 player hard drives. My Canon SD110 camera was just stolen and
thinking about maybe going camcorder if I can find one small enough.
Must fit in the cargo pocket or my travel shorts.

AnthonyR

"Tim" <mitebbots@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in message
>I don't see why someone can not make a camcorder with one of those
> 40gb MP3 player hard drives. My Canon SD110 camera was just stolen and
> thinking about maybe going camcorder if I can find one small enough.
> Must fit in the cargo pocket or my travel shorts.

Tim,
I don't think anyone makes that type product yet, but you know it's a great
idea. For one thing a 60 min DV tape
is usually to small for an entire wedding ceremony, and I often miss a few
minutes doing a tape change during long ceremonies, although I found ways
around that problem.
But it would be great for vacations or anytime you want a lot of storage, a
40gb HD would easily hold about 3 hours at full DV quality and so much more
if it stored it at MPG2 or MPG4, it should offer a choice in a switch.
And image a 200 gb HD in a camera? WOW!

But there are lots of products that would benefit by replacing smaller
removable memory with cheaper and more storage of little hard drives. Like
digital camera's for pictures with a tiny 4 gb harddrive like is in the iPod
mini?
Lots of stuff would benefit.
Then we can just transfer directly to PC for editing, and then to DVD for
distribution and finally to a DV Tape as a backup medium. I guess they would
sell lots of DV tape records that fit into PC slots then also.

AnthonyR

The main issue is battery life for small devices.
Audio can get away with it because they can read a 200 to 500 faster then real-time.
DV require over 200 time more bandwidth then a 128kbits mp3. So the storage device
will be used constantly and battery life would be very short in a small device.

Now, a large professional camera would be cool with a 2.5 HD slot.
Right now people use 1394 external HD recorder, or laptop based recorder.

Stephan Schaem
www.seriousmagic.com

"AnthonyR" <toomuchspam@tolisthere.com> wrote in message news:a23Xc.109250$4h7.15432766@twister.nyc.rr.com...

> "Tim" <mitebbots@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote in message news:2hbpi05gb1fk97bjfgfdj1v0l7c50ei3rc@4ax.com...
>>I don't see why someone can not make a camcorder with one of those
>> 40gb MP3 player hard drives. My Canon SD110 camera was just stolen and
>> thinking about maybe going camcorder if I can find one small enough.
>> Must fit in the cargo pocket or my travel shorts.
>
> Tim,
> I don't think anyone makes that type product yet, but you know it's a great idea. For one thing a 60 min DV tape
> is usually to small for an entire wedding ceremony, and I often miss a few minutes doing a tape change during long ceremonies,
> although I found ways around that problem.
> But it would be great for vacations or anytime you want a lot of storage, a 40gb HD would easily hold about 3 hours at full DV
> quality and so much more if it stored it at MPG2 or MPG4, it should offer a choice in a switch.
> And image a 200 gb HD in a camera? WOW!
>
> But there are lots of products that would benefit by replacing smaller removable memory with cheaper and more storage of little
> hard drives. Like digital camera's for pictures with a tiny 4 gb harddrive like is in the iPod mini?
> Lots of stuff would benefit.
> Then we can just transfer directly to PC for editing, and then to DVD for distribution and finally to a DV Tape as a backup
> medium. I guess they would sell lots of DV tape records that fit into PC slots then also.
>
> AnthonyR

Closest you'll come today for a digicam + camcorder are the Sony T1/W1
series with 30fps 640x480 captures, any other digicam that'll do the
same or similar, and the MPEG-4 solid-state camcorder/digicams such as
the Sanyo Xacti C4 series (http://www.sanyo-dsc.com/dsc/c4/spe.html).

Sadly, none of these use a CF/Microdrive, so no super-long record times.

Some Digital Camera like FuJi s7000 can take 2.2GB microdrive and shoot
640x480 30fps Mono audio for 30 minutes.

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:22:05 GMT, Tim <mitebbots@yahoo.com.nospam> wrote:

=>I don't see why someone can not make a camcorder with one of those
=>40gb MP3 player hard drives. My Canon SD110 camera was just stolen and
=>thinking about maybe going camcorder if I can find one small enough.
=>Must fit in the cargo pocket or my travel shorts.

TRENDING THREADS