Premiere for DVD production?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 25, 2004 4:16:08 PM

I have been getting some great training on using Premiere Pro and I'm
very good at it now. Up to now I have only been exporting to an AVI,
WMV or other format that is more internet friendly for downloading.

I now have a requirement for a final product to be put on DVD.
Premiere has an export to DVD option though I have never used it.
Many other people say that there are better programs to burn to DVD
other than Premiere Pro.

My question is, would it be better to export from Premiere Pro to an
uncompressed AVI file (I've got lots of HD space) and then use a
better DVD program to take that file and burn it to DVD?

Not all programs are the best in doing 5 different jobs the best, so
maybe Premiere isn't the best in DVD burning but the editing program
ROCKS.

PS. my all in one Fax/Scanner/Cappuccino maker/Microwave works awesome
but maybe Adobe hasn't been able to multi-task that efficentely yet :)
Anonymous
August 25, 2004 4:56:23 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:16:08 -0600, Dereck W. < > wrote:
>I now have a requirement for a final product to be put on DVD.
>Premiere has an export to DVD option though I have never used it.
>Many other people say that there are better programs to burn to DVD
>other than Premiere Pro.

As far as I know, PP does not burn the DVD... you may create the
MPEG output with PP, but you then need AUTHORING software to make
files which go on the DVD and actually burn the DVD

If you want to stay with an Adobe product, it is Encore
http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/main.html

If you want to look at other options, read the reviews at
http://www.videohelp.com/

Also, Since you are posting on a newsgroup, rather than
the vendor's forum, it may be that you do not know of
the Adobe forum for Premiere Pro, so you might try
that forum if you are interested in a vendor supplied
help space which is only for Premiere Pro subjects
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de9c1bf

PS - there are at least two MessageNazis who do not
like it when I tell people about the Adobe forum, so
be sure you do not reply to me and incur their wrath

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 12:54:53 AM

Thanks for the links. I knew about the Adobe forums but if you go
into a Chevrolet dealship, they will always tell you that THEIR
vehicle is the one for you. I want a user opinion for their best pick
on DVD buring and authoring software. If Adobe Encore is the one then
fine but I've heard lots about Alcohol 120%.

>As far as I know, PP does not burn the DVD... you may create the
>MPEG output with PP, but you then need AUTHORING software to make
>files which go on the DVD and actually burn the DVD
>
>If you want to stay with an Adobe product, it is Encore
>http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/main.html
>
>If you want to look at other options, read the reviews at
>http://www.videohelp.com/
>
>Also, Since you are posting on a newsgroup, rather than
>the vendor's forum, it may be that you do not know of
>the Adobe forum for Premiere Pro, so you might try
>that forum if you are interested in a vendor supplied
>help space which is only for Premiere Pro subjects
>http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de9c1bf
>
>PS - there are at least two MessageNazis who do not
>like it when I tell people about the Adobe forum, so
>be sure you do not reply to me and incur their wrath
>

>John Thomas Smith
>http://www.direct2usales.com
>http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
August 26, 2004 12:59:26 PM

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:54:53 -0600, Dereck W. < > wrote:
>Thanks for the links. I knew about the Adobe forums but if you go
>into a Chevrolet dealship, they will always tell you that THEIR
>vehicle is the one for you. I want a user opinion for their best pick
>on DVD buring and authoring software. If Adobe Encore is the one then
>fine but I've heard lots about Alcohol 120%.

I have not used it, but one that is mentioned often is at
http://www.mediachance.com/

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith
Anonymous
August 26, 2004 7:56:29 PM

On Wed 25 Aug 2004 07:16:08p, Dereck W. < > wrote:

> I now have a requirement for a final product to be put on DVD.
> Premiere has an export to DVD option though I have never used it.
> Many other people say that there are better programs to burn to DVD
> other than Premiere Pro.

Premiere's output to DVD option simply creates a DVD with your movie on
it. Markers on the timeline are taken as chapter points, but you don't get
any menus.

You don't want to export to AVI, as something else will then have to
convert this to MPEG2, so export to MPEG2 in Premiere using the
Mainconcept encoder. It's pretty good.

After that, you can import the MPEG movie and WAV audio into most DVD
authoring apps, that will allow you to create menus, scene selection
menus, and all the other usual things you expect from a DVD.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 4:09:29 AM

John Thomas Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:
>
> PS - there are at least two MessageNazis who do not
> like it when I tell people about the Adobe forum, so
> be sure you do not reply to me and incur their wrath

Wow, they need to get bent.
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 6:37:48 AM

Bob Stedenko wrote:

> Premiere's output to DVD option simply creates a DVD with your movie on
> it. Markers on the timeline are taken as chapter points, but you don't get
> any menus.
>
> You don't want to export to AVI, as something else will then have to
> convert this to MPEG2, so export to MPEG2 in Premiere using the
> Mainconcept encoder. It's pretty good.
>
> After that, you can import the MPEG movie and WAV audio into most DVD
> authoring apps, that will allow you to create menus, scene selection
> menus, and all the other usual things you expect from a DVD.

The only problem is, you need to know in advance what bitrate to encode
with, to make the MPEG file fit on the DVD. If you export to AVI, you
can have your DVD authoring program calculate the size on disc at a
particular resolution, then use the highest without going over.

Gary Eickmeier
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 11:55:21 AM

On Fri 27 Aug 2004 03:37:48a, Gary Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com>
wrote:

> Bob Stedenko wrote:
>
>> After that, you can import the MPEG movie and WAV audio into most DVD
>> authoring apps, that will allow you to create menus, scene selection
>> menus, and all the other usual things you expect from a DVD.
>
> The only problem is, you need to know in advance what bitrate to
> encode with, to make the MPEG file fit on the DVD.

Never been an issue for me personally, but when I've had to think about
"squeezing" something on, I use a bitrate calculator.

> If you export to
> AVI, you can have your DVD authoring program calculate the size on
> disc at a particular resolution, then use the highest without going
> over.

None of the authoring apps I've used do that, so I wasn't aware that it
was an option. Still seems a waste to me. Time spent to write out the
AVI and then encode to MPEG, when you can go straight to MPEG... less time
drinking coffee. :)
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 11:56:17 AM

On Fri 27 Aug 2004 01:09:29a, Seattle Eric <noone@erehwon.gov> wrote: