Premiere for DVD production?

I have been getting some great training on using Premiere Pro and I'm
very good at it now. Up to now I have only been exporting to an AVI,
WMV or other format that is more internet friendly for downloading.

I now have a requirement for a final product to be put on DVD.
Premiere has an export to DVD option though I have never used it.
Many other people say that there are better programs to burn to DVD
other than Premiere Pro.

My question is, would it be better to export from Premiere Pro to an
uncompressed AVI file (I've got lots of HD space) and then use a
better DVD program to take that file and burn it to DVD?

Not all programs are the best in doing 5 different jobs the best, so
maybe Premiere isn't the best in DVD burning but the editing program
ROCKS.

PS. my all in one Fax/Scanner/Cappuccino maker/Microwave works awesome
but maybe Adobe hasn't been able to multi-task that efficentely yet :)
9 answers Last reply
More about premiere production

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:16:08 -0600, Dereck W. < > wrote:
    >I now have a requirement for a final product to be put on DVD.
    >Premiere has an export to DVD option though I have never used it.
    >Many other people say that there are better programs to burn to DVD
    >other than Premiere Pro.

    As far as I know, PP does not burn the DVD... you may create the
    MPEG output with PP, but you then need AUTHORING software to make
    files which go on the DVD and actually burn the DVD

    If you want to stay with an Adobe product, it is Encore
    http://www.adobe.com/products/encore/main.html

    If you want to look at other options, read the reviews at
    http://www.videohelp.com/

    Also, Since you are posting on a newsgroup, rather than
    the vendor's forum, it may be that you do not know of
    the Adobe forum for Premiere Pro, so you might try
    that forum if you are interested in a vendor supplied
    help space which is only for Premiere Pro subjects
    http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?14@@.1de9c1bf

    PS - there are at least two MessageNazis who do not
    like it when I tell people about the Adobe forum, so
    be sure you do not reply to me and incur their wrath

    John Thomas Smith
    http://www.direct2usales.com
    http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

    Thanks for the links. I knew about the Adobe forums but if you go
    into a Chevrolet dealship, they will always tell you that THEIR
    vehicle is the one for you. I want a user opinion for their best pick
    on DVD buring and authoring software. If Adobe Encore is the one then
    fine but I've heard lots about Alcohol 120%.

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:54:53 -0600, Dereck W. < > wrote:
    >Thanks for the links. I knew about the Adobe forums but if you go
    >into a Chevrolet dealship, they will always tell you that THEIR
    >vehicle is the one for you. I want a user opinion for their best pick
    >on DVD buring and authoring software. If Adobe Encore is the one then
    >fine but I've heard lots about Alcohol 120%.

    I have not used it, but one that is mentioned often is at
    http://www.mediachance.com/

    On Wed 25 Aug 2004 07:16:08p, Dereck W. < > wrote:

    > I now have a requirement for a final product to be put on DVD.
    > Premiere has an export to DVD option though I have never used it.
    > Many other people say that there are better programs to burn to DVD
    > other than Premiere Pro.

    Premiere's output to DVD option simply creates a DVD with your movie on
    it. Markers on the timeline are taken as chapter points, but you don't get
    any menus.

    You don't want to export to AVI, as something else will then have to
    convert this to MPEG2, so export to MPEG2 in Premiere using the
    Mainconcept encoder. It's pretty good.

    After that, you can import the MPEG movie and WAV audio into most DVD
    authoring apps, that will allow you to create menus, scene selection
    menus, and all the other usual things you expect from a DVD.

    John Thomas Smith wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:
    >
    > PS - there are at least two MessageNazis who do not
    > like it when I tell people about the Adobe forum, so
    > be sure you do not reply to me and incur their wrath

    Wow, they need to get bent.

    Bob Stedenko wrote:

    > Premiere's output to DVD option simply creates a DVD with your movie on
    > it. Markers on the timeline are taken as chapter points, but you don't get
    > any menus.
    >
    > You don't want to export to AVI, as something else will then have to
    > convert this to MPEG2, so export to MPEG2 in Premiere using the
    > Mainconcept encoder. It's pretty good.
    >
    > After that, you can import the MPEG movie and WAV audio into most DVD
    > authoring apps, that will allow you to create menus, scene selection
    > menus, and all the other usual things you expect from a DVD.

    The only problem is, you need to know in advance what bitrate to encode
    with, to make the MPEG file fit on the DVD. If you export to AVI, you
    can have your DVD authoring program calculate the size on disc at a
    particular resolution, then use the highest without going over.

    Gary Eickmeier

    On Fri 27 Aug 2004 03:37:48a, Gary Eickmeier <geickmei@tampabay.rr.com>
    wrote:

    > Bob Stedenko wrote:
    >
    >> After that, you can import the MPEG movie and WAV audio into most DVD
    >> authoring apps, that will allow you to create menus, scene selection
    >> menus, and all the other usual things you expect from a DVD.
    >
    > The only problem is, you need to know in advance what bitrate to
    > encode with, to make the MPEG file fit on the DVD.

    Never been an issue for me personally, but when I've had to think about
    "squeezing" something on, I use a bitrate calculator.

    > If you export to
    > AVI, you can have your DVD authoring program calculate the size on
    > disc at a particular resolution, then use the highest without going
    > over.

    None of the authoring apps I've used do that, so I wasn't aware that it
    was an option. Still seems a waste to me. Time spent to write out the
    AVI and then encode to MPEG, when you can go straight to MPEG... less time
    drinking coffee. :)

    On Fri 27 Aug 2004 01:09:29a, Seattle Eric <noone@erehwon.gov> wrote:

    > Wow, they need to get bent.

    Wrong group. You need rec.scuba.