what do you get with the video stress test?

Last response: in Video Games
August 30, 2005 1:11:48 AM

I just ran it with the new rig. 81.56 fps at 1280x1024, reflect all, 4x
AA, 8x Aniso, no VSync, all else High.

What's to massage or tweak? what else can I add?

McG.

More about : video stress test

Anonymous
August 30, 2005 7:31:41 AM

On 8/29/2005 2:11 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>I just ran it with the new rig. 81.56 fps at 1280x1024, reflect all, 4x
>AA, 8x Aniso, no VSync, all else High.
>
>What's to massage or tweak? what else can I add?
>
>McG.

So your super duper dual core 64 bit processor gets you 10 more fps than
my two year old Athlon XP 2500. I get 71.51 with the same settings.
Plus that's with my regular non-GT 6800 which isn't overclocked right
now (though the extra pipelines are still unlocked).
I've played the F.E.A.R. demo, which looks like about the coolest thing
that's on the horizon and it plays a dream at 1280x960 with 4x AA on my
system. I'm not in any hurry to upgrade.
You really should go test out that new system with 3dMark05. I'd love
to see a powerful processor bitch slap those tight-ass nasty CPU tests
that Futuremark has hung on us.

I'm saving my money for an XBox360. Think maybe I'll go for EB Games'
"Ultimate Bundle".
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/systems/xbox360/

I did come really close to buying a x64 3500 and a Gigabyte 939 board a
couple days ago.

--
Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 7:41:06 AM

"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 8/29/2005 2:11 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>
>>I just ran it with the new rig. 81.56 fps at 1280x1024, reflect all, 4x
>>AA, 8x Aniso, no VSync, all else High.
>>
>>What's to massage or tweak? what else can I add?
>>
>>McG.
>>

> So your super duper dual core 64 bit processor gets you 10 more fps than
> my two year old Athlon XP 2500. I get 71.51 with the same settings. Plus
> that's with my regular non-GT 6800 which isn't overclocked right now
> (though the extra pipelines are still unlocked). I've played the F.E.A.R.
> demo, which looks like about the coolest thing that's on the horizon and
> it plays a dream at 1280x960 with 4x AA on my system. I'm not in any
> hurry to upgrade.
> You really should go test out that new system with 3dMark05. I'd love to
> see a powerful processor bitch slap those tight-ass nasty CPU tests that
> Futuremark has hung on us.

It gets worse than my P4 in 3DMark05.
Really!
McG.

> I'm saving my money for an XBox360. Think maybe I'll go for EB Games'
> "Ultimate Bundle". http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/systems/xbox360/
>
> I did come really close to buying a x64 3500 and a Gigabyte 939 board a
> couple days ago.
>
> --
> Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said
> that about Galileo." Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com
August 30, 2005 11:49:06 AM

McGrandpa wrote:
> I just ran it with the new rig. 81.56 fps at 1280x1024, reflect all, 4x
> AA, 8x Aniso, no VSync, all else High.
>
> What's to massage or tweak? what else can I add?
>
> McG.

You can start by enabling VSync. You have enough space horsepower to be
useful in enabling VSync and removing tearing.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 11:49:07 AM

"GFree" <neon@gmail.com> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>> I just ran it with the new rig. 81.56 fps at 1280x1024, reflect all, 4x
>> AA, 8x Aniso, no VSync, all else High.
>>
>> What's to massage or tweak? what else can I add?
>>
>> McG.
>
> You can start by enabling VSync. You have enough space horsepower to be
> useful in enabling VSync and removing tearing.

I can try that, but it's not tearing.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 5:26:20 PM

"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
> On 8/29/2005 2:11 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>
>>I just ran it with the new rig. 81.56 fps at 1280x1024, reflect all, 4x
>>AA, 8x Aniso, no VSync, all else High.
>>
>>What's to massage or tweak? what else can I add?
>>
>>McG.
>>

> So your super duper dual core 64 bit processor gets you 10 more fps than
> my two year old Athlon XP 2500. I get 71.51 with the same settings.

In 1280x1024? What about 1024x768? I get 117.5 at that res, all else the
same. What about your driver settings in the NV control panel? what image
quality? Quality? High Quality? High Performance?
I just now tried it with the nv control panel Quality and performance set to
High performance, then ran the stress test in 1280x1024 and got 97.76 and in
1024x768 got 142.30, and ran it again with Triple buffering on and High
Performance Image Quality in 1280x1024 and got 96.86 fps.
The Quality and Performance thing: I take a pretty big hit on fps using
High Quality vs High Performance.

I am thinking that if there is a bottleneck now, it's the vid card. That's
good :)

> Plus that's with my regular non-GT 6800 which isn't overclocked right now
> (though the extra pipelines are still unlocked). I've played the F.E.A.R.
> demo, which looks like about the coolest thing that's on the horizon and
> it plays a dream at 1280x960 with 4x AA on my system. I'm not in any
> hurry to upgrade.
> You really should go test out that new system with 3dMark05. I'd love to
> see a powerful processor bitch slap those tight-ass nasty CPU tests that
> Futuremark has hung on us.

I've got the AMD X2 cpu driver installed now, and I *think* I have the
driver versions glitches ironed out.... so now I'll run the 3DMark05 and see
what it says.

> I'm saving my money for an XBox360. Think maybe I'll go for EB Games'
> "Ultimate Bundle". http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/systems/xbox360/
>
> I did come really close to buying a x64 3500 and a Gigabyte 939 board a
> couple days ago.

They'll drop in price some yet. It looks like the s939 AGP boards aren't
dead yet. I'm not the only guy around that passed up PCI-e to keep a good
AGP card in use.
What mobo are you using right now? I've no idea how the Athlon XP's stack
up against the A64's nor how the single core A64s look against the dual core
A64's. This one is the first AMD I've *used* since the K6-2 350! The last
AMD system I built, I did with my son (XP 3000+ barton on a Gigabyte mobo
with SiS chipset and non-dual channel PC3200) and it went home with him. He
owns the 6800 now.
McG. <enjoying all of this!>

> --
> Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said
> that about Galileo." Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 7:01:53 PM

> [...]
>> couple days ago.
>
> They'll drop in price some yet. It looks like the s939 AGP boards aren't
> dead yet. I'm not the only guy around that passed up PCI-e to keep a good
> AGP card in use.
> What mobo are you using right now? I've no idea how the Athlon XP's
> stack up against the A64's nor how the single core A64s look against the
> dual core A64's. This one is the first AMD I've *used* since the K6-2
> 350! The last AMD system I built, I did with my son (XP 3000+ barton on
> a Gigabyte mobo with SiS chipset and non-dual channel PC3200) and it went
> home with him. He owns the 6800 now.
> McG. <enjoying all of this!>
>>
>> --
>> Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said
>> that about Galileo." Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

3DMark05, 03 and 2001 scores:
05-5012
03-11786
01-22783

All stock clocked, and compares well with all the other stock clocked
systems I looked at in the ORB.
There are rigs with X2's clocked to over 3 gHz and overclocked 6800 Ultras
and 7800 GTX's in SLI that score over twice as high as my rig got.
McG.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 7:46:22 PM

On 8/30/2005 6:26 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>

>In 1280x1024? What about 1024x768? I get 117.5 at that res, all else the
>same. What about your driver settings in the NV control panel? what image
>quality? Quality? High Quality? High Performance?

101.3 at 1024x768, vid card settings are at default, which is Image
Quality = Quality

>I just now tried it with the nv control panel Quality and performance set to
>High performance, then ran the stress test in 1280x1024 and got 97.76 and in
>1024x768 got 142.30, and ran it again with Triple buffering on and High
>Performance Image Quality in 1280x1024 and got 96.86 fps.
>The Quality and Performance thing: I take a pretty big hit on fps using
>High Quality vs High Performance.
>
>I am thinking that if there is a bottleneck now, it's the vid card. That's
>good :)

Well that stress test is probably a bad test for any CPU. It's all
about stressing the vid card. It just runs through all the different
shaders, there isn't a bit of physics or anything else that depends on
the CPU

>>Plus that's with my regular non-GT 6800 which isn't overclocked right now
>>(though the extra pipelines are still unlocked). I've played the F.E.A.R.
>>demo, which looks like about the coolest thing that's on the horizon and
>>it plays a dream at 1280x960 with 4x AA on my system. I'm not in any
>>hurry to upgrade.
>>You really should go test out that new system with 3dMark05. I'd love to
>>see a powerful processor bitch slap those tight-ass nasty CPU tests that
>>Futuremark has hung on us.
>>

>I've got the AMD X2 cpu driver installed now, and I *think* I have the
>driver versions glitches ironed out.... so now I'll run the 3DMark05 and see
>what it says.
>

>>I'm saving my money for an XBox360. Think maybe I'll go for EB Games'
>>"Ultimate Bundle". http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/categories/systems/xbox360/
>>
>>I did come really close to buying a x64 3500 and a Gigabyte 939 board a
>>couple days ago.
>>

>They'll drop in price some yet. It looks like the s939 AGP boards aren't
>dead yet. I'm not the only guy around that passed up PCI-e to keep a good
>AGP card in use.
>What mobo are you using right now? I've no idea how the Athlon XP's stack
>up against the A64's nor how the single core A64s look against the dual core
>A64's. This one is the first AMD I've *used* since the K6-2 350! The last
>AMD system I built, I did with my son (XP 3000+ barton on a Gigabyte mobo
>with SiS chipset and non-dual channel PC3200) and it went home with him. He
>owns the 6800 now.
>McG. <enjoying all of this!>

I have an MSI nForce2 motherboard, the 333 MHz one that came out before
the 400 MHz FSB boards were available. I think I'm running the FSB on
this at 180, 360DDR.
I just happened to be wandering through CompUSA on Saturday and saw a
Gigabyte AGP 939 board and AMD 64 combo on sale for $250. That's really
about what I want to spend on an upgrade, but I'd like to get more in
the 4000+ range and dual core excites me a bit. There's a guy on
craigslist selling a nice ASUS PCI-E board with an x64 3200 with XP Pro
x64 for $350. Of course that means I need a new video card and I'm
perfectly happy with the one I have.

I'm serious about the XBox 360 though. I'll be plopping down $399 on
the Premium System, though I don't think I'll be going for all the
extras that EB Games is offering. XBox360 plus Quake IV on November 15,
that's my plan. I think that's more worth the money. and I'll wait on
another computer upgrade until next summer. I'll also be waiting for a
game to come out that actually brings my current system to its knees. I
don't know what that game will be, the Doom 3 engine is the most
advanced out there right now and I can handle it fine, maybe the next UT
engine will be too much.

--
Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 7:52:27 PM

On 8/30/2005 8:01 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>3DMark05, 03 and 2001 scores:
>05-5012
>03-11786
>01-22783
>
>All stock clocked, and compares well with all the other stock clocked
>systems I looked at in the ORB.
>There are rigs with X2's clocked to over 3 gHz and overclocked 6800 Ultras
>and 7800 GTX's in SLI that score over twice as high as my rig got.
>McG.

How many CPUMarks do you get on 03 and 05?
On 05, I get 3354 CPU Marks
On 03, I get 700 CPU Marks

03/10278, 05/4332 3DMarks

--
Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:25:53 PM

"McGrandpa" wrote

> There are rigs with X2's clocked to over 3 gHz and overclocked 6800 Ultras
> and 7800 GTX's in SLI that score over twice as high as my rig got.

http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/desktop_all_defa...
From ~ $5K and it's all yours :-)

Not much else needed but 1 Gb extra mem going at +$237

Damn!

- Peter
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 9:51:32 PM

"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "McGrandpa" wrote
>
>> There are rigs with X2's clocked to over 3 gHz and overclocked 6800
>> Ultras and 7800 GTX's in SLI that score over twice as high as my rig got.
>
> http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/desktop_all_defa...
> From ~ $5K and it's all yours :-)
>
> Not much else needed but 1 Gb extra mem going at +$237
>
> Damn!
>
> - Peter

Holy moley :o \ What a rig. It's a bit extreme for me! That ram is DDR2
and the 840EE requires it and a new chipset to go with it.

$270 - (2 x 1g DIMMS Samsung PC3200) for two gigs, not one.
But overclocked out of the box and 7800gTX SLI will leave mine in the dust!
McG.
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 10:15:47 PM

> [...]
>>dead yet. I'm not the only guy around that passed up PCI-e to keep a good
>>AGP card in use.
>>What mobo are you using right now? I've no idea how the Athlon XP's
>>stack up against the A64's nor how the single core A64s look against the
>>dual core A64's. This one is the first AMD I've *used* since the K6-2
>>350! The last AMD system I built, I did with my son (XP 3000+ barton on
>>a Gigabyte mobo with SiS chipset and non-dual channel PC3200) and it went
>>home with him. He owns the 6800 now.
>>McG. <enjoying all of this!>
>>
> I have an MSI nForce2 motherboard, the 333 MHz one that came out before
> the 400 MHz FSB boards were available. I think I'm running the FSB on
> this at 180, 360DDR. I just happened to be wandering through CompUSA on
> Saturday and saw a Gigabyte AGP 939 board and AMD 64 combo on sale for
Good price that. Dual core can be added later...just get one capable of the
2000 mHz system bus.

> That's really about what I want to spend on an upgrade, but I'd like to
> get more in the 4000+ range and dual core excites me a bit. There's a guy
> on craigslist selling a nice ASUS PCI-E board with an x64 3200 with XP Pro
> x64 for $350. Of course that means I need a new video card and I'm
> perfectly happy with the one I have.

Right!

> I'm serious about the XBox 360 though. I'll be plopping down $399 on the
> Premium System, though I don't think I'll be going for all the extras that
> EB Games is offering. XBox360 plus Quake IV on November 15, that's my
> plan. I think that's more worth the money. and I'll wait on another
> computer upgrade until next summer. I'll also be waiting for a game to
> come out that actually brings my current system to its knees. I don't
> know what that game will be, the Doom 3 engine is the most advanced out
> there right now and I can handle it fine, maybe the next UT engine will be
> too much.

Not a bad plan at all. But i'd have to get a decent TV to use with the
360! Or any console for that matter. I just have a cheep 25" magnavox
display model closeout from WalMart. I turn it on to catch the news once in
a while or watch a TV show rarely.
I like playing my games on the PC. But that's just me.

It's kinda boggling to see the modern games whizzing along at over 100 fps
less than a year after i bought them. It took me 4 years to get that with
Q3!

I'm not so sure that dual core is really being used for much at the moment.
I think that AMD's scheme with A64 is better than Intels and can do more
with single 32 bit apps than Intels. So what's helping my games? The A64
part or dual core? or both? I got a lot to learn about this stuff yet :)

> --
> Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said
> that about Galileo." Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
August 30, 2005 10:28:37 PM

> On 8/30/2005 8:01 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>

>>3DMark05, 03 and 2001 scores:
>>05-5012
>>03-11786
>>01-22783
>>
>>All stock clocked, and compares well with all the other stock clocked
>>systems I looked at in the ORB.
>>There are rigs with X2's clocked to over 3 gHz and overclocked 6800 Ultras
>>and 7800 GTX's in SLI that score over twice as high as my rig got.
>>McG.
>>

> How many CPUMarks do you get on 03 and 05?
> On 05, I get 3354 CPU Marks
> On 03, I get 700 CPU Marks
> 03/10278, 05/4332 3DMarks

my runs today:
3DMark Score5012 3DMarks CPU Score5500 CPUMarks for 3DM05
3DMark Score11786 3DMarks CPU Score1121 CPUMarks for 3DM03
Cut n pasted from the ORB.
McG.

> --
> Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said
> that about Galileo."
> Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com

begin 666 1x1pix.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/_______R'Y! $```$`+ `````!``$```("3 $`.P``
`
end
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:32:11 AM

McGrandpa wrote:
> "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>"McGrandpa" wrote
>>

>>>There are rigs with X2's clocked to over 3 gHz and overclocked 6800
>>>Ultras and 7800 GTX's in SLI that score over twice as high as my rig got.
>>
>>http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/desktop_all_defa...
>>From ~ $5K and it's all yours :-)
>>
>>Not much else needed but 1 Gb extra mem going at +$237
>>
>>Damn!
>>
>>- Peter
>>

> Holy moley :o \ What a rig. It's a bit extreme for me! That ram is DDR2
> and the 840EE requires it and a new chipset to go with it.
>
> $270 - (2 x 1g DIMMS Samsung PC3200) for two gigs, not one.
> But overclocked out of the box and 7800gTX SLI will leave mine in the dust!
> McG.

How about this one (if your in the UK)
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/full_systems.htm...
Scroll to the bottom of the screen to see the baby that will be mine. OK
OK if I win the Loto this weekend LOL...

System Spec's

- AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego (Socket 939) Dual DDR400 CPU
- ThermalRight XP-120 with 120mm fan Heatsink Cooling Solution
- Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi Dual Channel PCI-Express Motherboard
- Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) DDR XMS3200C2PT CAS2.0 Dual Channel Kit
- 2 x 250GB Western Digital 16mb cache SATA-2 Hard Drive (RAID 0 Configured)
- 2 x XFX Extreme Edition GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express
Graphics Cards (SLi Configured)
- Pioneer DVR-110BK 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro 7.1 Sound Card
- Black floppy drive
- Coolermaster Black WaveMaster Case
- Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU
- Metal Braided Rounded Floppy Cable (0.5m)
- Metal Braided Rounded Ultra ATA100/66 IDE Cable (0.45m)
- Metal Braided SATA Cable
- Windows XP Professional pre-installed with License and CD supplied

Price: £2,279.00 (£2,677.82 Including VAT at 17.5%)

--

Regards Pendragon...
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.morrish

"TSS. Pendragon" <pendragon@tssclan.co.uk> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>> "Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"McGrandpa" wrote

>>>http://www.alienware.com/Product_Pages/desktop_all_defa...
>>>From ~ $5K and it's all yours :-)
>>>
>>>Not much else needed but 1 Gb extra mem going at +$237
>>>
>>>Damn!
>>>
>>>- Peter
>>>

>> Holy moley :o \ What a rig. It's a bit extreme for me! That ram is
>> DDR2 and the 840EE requires it and a new chipset to go with it.
>>
>> $270 - (2 x 1g DIMMS Samsung PC3200) for two gigs, not one.
>> But overclocked out of the box and 7800gTX SLI will leave mine in the
>> dust!
>> McG.
>>

> How about this one (if your in the UK)
> http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/full_systems.htm...
> Scroll to the bottom of the screen to see the baby that will be mine. OK
> OK if I win the Loto this weekend LOL...
>
> System Spec's
>
> - AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego (Socket 939) Dual DDR400 CPU
> - ThermalRight XP-120 with 120mm fan Heatsink Cooling Solution
> - Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi Dual Channel PCI-Express Motherboard
> - Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) DDR XMS3200C2PT CAS2.0 Dual Channel Kit
> - 2 x 250GB Western Digital 16mb cache SATA-2 Hard Drive (RAID 0
> Configured)
> - 2 x XFX Extreme Edition GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express Graphics
> Cards (SLi Configured)
> - Pioneer DVR-110BK 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
> - Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro 7.1 Sound Card
> - Black floppy drive
> - Coolermaster Black WaveMaster Case
> - Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU
> - Metal Braided Rounded Floppy Cable (0.5m)
> - Metal Braided Rounded Ultra ATA100/66 IDE Cable (0.45m)
> - Metal Braided SATA Cable
> - Windows XP Professional pre-installed with License and CD supplied
>
> Price: £2,279.00 (£2,677.82 Including VAT at 17.5%)
>
> --
>
> Regards Pendragon...
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.morrish
> www.tssclan.co.uk

Aaaarrrgh! They are the UK version of Alienware! And priced about the
same too :\ Looking to win that lotto pretty bad, aren't ya! :)
McG.
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 3:01:11 AM

On 8/30/2005 11:15 AM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>Not a bad plan at all. But i'd have to get a decent TV to use with the
>360! Or any console for that matter. I just have a cheep 25" magnavox
>display model closeout from WalMart. I turn it on to catch the news once in
>a while or watch a TV show rarely.
>I like playing my games on the PC. But that's just me.
>
>It's kinda boggling to see the modern games whizzing along at over 100 fps
>less than a year after i bought them. It took me 4 years to get that with
>Q3!
>
>I'm not so sure that dual core is really being used for much at the moment.
>I think that AMD's scheme with A64 is better than Intels and can do more
>with single 32 bit apps than Intels. So what's helping my games? The A64
>part or dual core? or both? I got a lot to learn about this stuff yet :)

I was fairly anti-console for a while, but I like my XBox. I have a 30"
non-HDTV widescreen TV, which is good for movies and games. The way
that my apartment is set up, I just swivel my chair between the computer
screen and the TV set. The XBox 360 will have a triple core 3.2 GHz
processor on it and a 48 pipeline ATI video card. I think that's a
bargain deal for that kind of processing power.
I kind of wish that I could just run Linux on my PC and just do PC
things with it and have a super dedicated console/game-PC that does
nothing else except maybe some multimedia stuff. You loose out on
hacking and tweaking with a console but it might be a fair trade.

--
Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 6:11:29 PM

news:o SKQe.2949$Nx.1529@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>I just ran it with the new rig. 81.56 fps at 1280x1024, reflect all, 4x
>AA, 8x Aniso, no VSync, all else High.
>
> What's to massage or tweak? what else can I add?
>
> McG.

Hiya, McG,

Just finished HL2 coupla' days ago. Wahoo!!! What a ride...

81 fps is a decent amount of headroom. Have you tried making the jump
up to 1600x1200?

I ran at 16x12 w/ 4x AA and AF, and all in-game quality settings maxed.
It ran at an eminently playable 50 fps on my machine, even in some of the
larger outside environments. (Oh, and did I mention, it looked phenomenal?
;-)

S-M
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 12:17:40 AM

McGrandpa wrote:
> "TSS. Pendragon" <pendragon@tssclan.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>>>"Peter [AGHL]" <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Holy moley :o \ What a rig. It's a bit extreme for me! That ram is
>>>DDR2 and the 840EE requires it and a new chipset to go with it.
>>>
>>>$270 - (2 x 1g DIMMS Samsung PC3200) for two gigs, not one.
>>>But overclocked out of the box and 7800gTX SLI will leave mine in the
>>>dust!
>>>McG.
>>>

>>How about this one (if your in the UK)
>>http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/full_systems.htm...
>>Scroll to the bottom of the screen to see the baby that will be mine. OK
>>OK if I win the Loto this weekend LOL...
>>
>>System Spec's
>>
>>- AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego (Socket 939) Dual DDR400 CPU
>>- ThermalRight XP-120 with 120mm fan Heatsink Cooling Solution
>>- Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi Dual Channel PCI-Express Motherboard
>>- Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) DDR XMS3200C2PT CAS2.0 Dual Channel Kit
>>- 2 x 250GB Western Digital 16mb cache SATA-2 Hard Drive (RAID 0
>>Configured)
>>- 2 x XFX Extreme Edition GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express Graphics
>>Cards (SLi Configured)
>>- Pioneer DVR-110BK 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
>>- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro 7.1 Sound Card
>>- Black floppy drive
>>- Coolermaster Black WaveMaster Case
>>- Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU
>>- Metal Braided Rounded Floppy Cable (0.5m)
>>- Metal Braided Rounded Ultra ATA100/66 IDE Cable (0.45m)
>>- Metal Braided SATA Cable
>>- Windows XP Professional pre-installed with License and CD supplied
>>
>>Price: £2,279.00 (£2,677.82 Including VAT at 17.5%)
>>
>>--
>>
>>Regards Pendragon...
>>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.morrish
>>www.tssclan.co.uk
>

> Aaaarrrgh! They are the UK version of Alienware! And priced about the
> same too :\ Looking to win that lotto pretty bad, aren't ya! :)
> McG.

We have Alienware here too, but I like these guys. They get their name
from a few years back when the sold Modded AMD CPU's and they were
getting some nice stable speeds.

I guess I must spend about £800 a year on hardware and games each year.
Not bad for a hobby, hell I could tipple that if I played golf. I may
not get the fresh air that golf would give me but I have made friends
all over the world with online gaming

--

Regards Pendragon...
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.morrish
www.tssclan.co.uk
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 1:48:01 AM

"StreetMedic" <zhyvaxxeSPAMMERJAMMER@comcast.net> wrote in message

> news:o SKQe.2949$Nx.1529@tornado.texas.rr.com...
>>I just ran it with the new rig. 81.56 fps at 1280x1024, reflect all, 4x
>>AA, 8x Aniso, no VSync, all else High.
>>
>> What's to massage or tweak? what else can I add?
>>
>> McG.
>
> Hiya, McG,
>
> Just finished HL2 coupla' days ago. Wahoo!!! What a ride...
>
> 81 fps is a decent amount of headroom. Have you tried making the jump
> up to 1600x1200?

I have a few LCD monitors here, max res on all of them is 1280x1024.

> I ran at 16x12 w/ 4x AA and AF, and all in-game quality settings maxed.
> It ran at an eminently playable 50 fps on my machine, even in some of the
> larger outside environments. (Oh, and did I mention, it looked
> phenomenal? ;-)

I'm sure it does! I think it looks pretty darn great at 12x10 with
everything maxed!!
McG.

> S-M

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:28:09 AM

> McGrandpa wrote:
>> "TSS. Pendragon" <pendragon@tssclan.co.uk> wrote in message

>>>How about this one (if your in the UK)
>>>http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/full_systems.htm...
>>>Scroll to the bottom of the screen to see the baby that will be mine. OK
>>>OK if I win the Loto this weekend LOL...
>>>
>>>System Spec's
>>>
>>>- AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego (Socket 939) Dual DDR400 CPU
>>>- ThermalRight XP-120 with 120mm fan Heatsink Cooling Solution
>>>- Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi Dual Channel PCI-Express Motherboard
>>>- Corsair 2GB (2x1GB) DDR XMS3200C2PT CAS2.0 Dual Channel Kit
>>>- 2 x 250GB Western Digital 16mb cache SATA-2 Hard Drive (RAID 0
>>>Configured)
>>>- 2 x XFX Extreme Edition GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB DDR3 PCI-Express
>>>Graphics Cards (SLi Configured)
>>>- Pioneer DVR-110BK 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer ReWriter (Black)
>>>- Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 Pro 7.1 Sound Card
>>>- Black floppy drive
>>>- Coolermaster Black WaveMaster Case
>>>- Tagan TG580-U15 580W ATX2.01 Easycon SLi Compliant Modular Silent PSU
>>>- Metal Braided Rounded Floppy Cable (0.5m)
>>>- Metal Braided Rounded Ultra ATA100/66 IDE Cable (0.45m)
>>>- Metal Braided SATA Cable
>>>- Windows XP Professional pre-installed with License and CD supplied
>>>
>>>Price: £2,279.00 (£2,677.82 Including VAT at 17.5%)
>>>
>>>--
>>>
>>>Regards Pendragon...
>>>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.morrish
>>>www.tssclan.co.uk
>>

>> Aaaarrrgh! They are the UK version of Alienware! And priced about the
>> same too :\ Looking to win that lotto pretty bad, aren't ya! :)
>> McG.
> We have Alienware here too, but I like these guys. They get their name
> from a few years back when the sold Modded AMD CPU's and they were getting
> some nice stable speeds.

I'm not about all that Extreme stuff. I want fast, clean, stable and cool.
Air cool :)  The fewer moving parts, the less there is to break ;)  We'll
replace magnetic media with storage crystals some day! And no moving parts.
That will make for a great running AND good looking machine though! We give
each other all these neat ideas for things to do with our own kits like
this. If it means I can really clean up the looks of the inside of my case,
i'd buy another PSU with different cabling. As it is, I use 'tie wraps' to
keep the bundles smaller and out of the way. The ribbon cables are another
matter. I might try some round ones, IF they're flexible enough.

> I guess I must spend about £800 a year on hardware and games each year.
> Not bad for a hobby, hell I could tipple that if I played golf. I may not
> get the fresh air that golf would give me but I have made friends all over
> the world with online gaming

Not bad for a hobby, nope! I was on the verge of getting into drag racing
here. Quarter miler stuff, with dreams of AA Top Fuel :)  Then I bought
this really neat thing at Radio Shack. A plain old 7400N Quad dual input
positive running NAND chip. $5. They're easily a dozen for the dollar now,
but this was when they were brand spanking new. I got some wire,
breadboard, resistors, caps etc etc. i was hooked. didn't even think of
the drag strip again until years later :)  I've kept my kids supplied with
computers and parts their whole lives now. It's good to go over and see
some new thing THEY bought and are using with their rigs.
I've made a couple of lasting friendships with folks I became aquainted with
on the net. Not hard to do :)  Harder to get round to SEE them, but not
hard to make friends!
McG.

> --
>
> Regards Pendragon...
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/s.morrish
> www.tssclan.co.uk
September 1, 2005 12:23:28 PM

McGrandpa wrote:
<snip>

<snip again>

> keep the bundles smaller and out of the way. The ribbon cables are another
> matter. I might try some round ones, IF they're flexible enough.

<snip>
Your next upgrade should use the new SATA hard drives. You'd love the
cable on those. Very small and flexible. About the size of a CD-ROM
sound cable.
Really cleans up the large ugly inflexible ribbon cables.

--
Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

"Jethro" <me@work.now> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
> <snip>
>

> <snip again>
>
>> keep the bundles smaller and out of the way. The ribbon cables are
>> another matter. I might try some round ones, IF they're flexible enough.
>>
> <snip>
> Your next upgrade should use the new SATA hard drives. You'd love the
> cable on those. Very small and flexible. About the size of a CD-ROM sound
> cable.
> Really cleans up the large ugly inflexible ribbon cables.
>
> --
> Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Pinger
> Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

I've got several sets of unused SATA drive cables. The red ones? They came
in packets of two in each of the last 3 mobos :)  It's a good thing they're
hot-swappable! I'll be trying at least one soon, just to see what happens
:)
McG.

(gotta get my IL2 FB + Aces + PF installed!)
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 2:20:13 AM

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:11:48 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>I just ran it with the new rig. 81.56 fps at 1280x1024, reflect all, 4x
>AA, 8x Aniso, no VSync, all else High.
>
>What's to massage or tweak? what else can I add?
>
>McG.

What is your system setup? On my system,

Athlon 2500 @ 3200
1gig RAM (2x512meg in dual channel mode)
6600GT

I get:

1280x1024, everything on maximum (6xAA, 16xAF, Reflect all, everything
high) - 80.57 FPS

at 1024x768 I get around 92fps.

that is with no tweaks.

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere! Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned! Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:11:48 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I just ran it with the new rig. 81.56 fps at 1280x1024, reflect all, 4x
>>AA, 8x Aniso, no VSync, all else High.
>>
>>What's to massage or tweak? what else can I add?
>>
>>McG.
>>

> What is your system setup? On my system,
>
> Athlon 2500 @ 3200
> 1gig RAM (2x512meg in dual channel mode)
> 6600GT
>
> I get:
>
> 1280x1024, everything on maximum (6xAA, 16xAF, Reflect all, everything
> high) - 80.57 FPS
>
> at 1024x768 I get around 92fps.
>
> that is with no tweaks.

in the Nvcontrol panel, setting Image High Quality to High Performance got a
good deal more fr's. I keep forgetting about the control panel.

It's an AMD 64 X2 4800+, 2 x 1g PC3200 in dual channel, 6800GT. See more
stuff later in the thread.
McG.
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 8:28:58 PM

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:15:47 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

<SNIP>
>It's kinda boggling to see the modern games whizzing along at over 100 fps
>less than a year after i bought them. It took me 4 years to get that with
>Q3!
LOL! I bought Q3 the day it was released and remember struggling to
get 40FPS at 800x600, now I get 247fps at 1280x1024!

I dare say we will be saying the same of Doom 3 in a couple of years
time. <G>

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere! Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned! Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!
Ihavetoknowwhatwhoeverdesigneditwastryingtoprotect!
(Blakes 7, City on the Edge of the World - Vila in typical panic mode)
Anonymous
September 4, 2005 10:50:21 PM

> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:15:47 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>

> <SNIP>
>>It's kinda boggling to see the modern games whizzing along at over 100 fps
>>less than a year after i bought them. It took me 4 years to get that with
>>Q3!
> LOL! I bought Q3 the day it was released and remember struggling to
> get 40FPS at 800x600, now I get 247fps at 1280x1024!
>
> I dare say we will be saying the same of Doom 3 in a couple of years
> time. <G>

Less than that, if they'd just rewrite the code for 64 bit :)  then change
some stuff up to take advantage of dual cores. I used to get 247fps in
1280x1024 too. But that was on the p4. I just installed it on the A64 X2,
so i'll reboot and see what i get :)
McG.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 12:35:40 AM

> "Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:15:47 GMT, "McGrandpa"
>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> <SNIP>
>>>It's kinda boggling to see the modern games whizzing along at over 100
>>>fps
>>>less than a year after i bought them. It took me 4 years to get that
>>>with
>>>Q3!
>> LOL! I bought Q3 the day it was released and remember struggling to
>> get 40FPS at 800x600, now I get 247fps at 1280x1024!
>>
>> I dare say we will be saying the same of Doom 3 in a couple of years
>> time. <G>
>
> Less than that, if they'd just rewrite the code for 64 bit :)  then change
> some stuff up to take advantage of dual cores. I used to get 247fps in
> 1280x1024 too. But that was on the p4. I just installed it on the A64
> X2, so i'll reboot and see what i get :)
> McG.

Ha! demo Four, 4.2 seconds, 299.3 fps LOL! 1280x1024, lightmap, trilinear,
all settings up high. Demo Four is just a few seconds of kaliedoscopic
noises :)

C'mon Inglo, you wanna show me how rotten the X2 is, just takes a couple
mins to install Q3A and point release 1.32 ;)
McG.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:06:21 AM

On 9/4/2005 1:35 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>>"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:15:47 GMT, "McGrandpa"
>>><McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>>>

>>><SNIP>

>>>LOL! I bought Q3 the day it was released and remember struggling to
>>>get 40FPS at 800x600, now I get 247fps at 1280x1024!
>>>
>>>I dare say we will be saying the same of Doom 3 in a couple of years
>>>time. <G>
>>>

>>Less than that, if they'd just rewrite the code for 64 bit :)  then change
>>some stuff up to take advantage of dual cores. I used to get 247fps in
>>1280x1024 too. But that was on the p4. I just installed it on the A64
>>X2, so i'll reboot and see what i get :)
>>McG.
>>

>Ha! demo Four, 4.2 seconds, 299.3 fps LOL! 1280x1024, lightmap, trilinear,
>all settings up high. Demo Four is just a few seconds of kaliedoscopic
>noises :)
>
>C'mon Inglo, you wanna show me how rotten the X2 is, just takes a couple
>mins to install Q3A and point release 1.32 ;)
>McG.

249 fps. Find me something that shows the 4800 is "2300" better than my
XP2500 then you've got something to crow about. I don't think there's
anything wrong with the X2 4800, just that there isn't anything out
there that makes it worthwhile... yet.

--
Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:45:20 AM

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote
> I used to get 247fps in 1280x1024 too. But that was
> on the p4. I just installed it on the A64 X2, so i'll reboot
> and see what i get :)

What's it matter anyway? The human eye can't see beyond 30FPS.
-8-) -
David
davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:53:24 AM

> On 9/4/2005 1:35 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>
>>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"Luke Curtis" <mfll78@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

>>>Less than that, if they'd just rewrite the code for 64 bit :)  then
>>>change some stuff up to take advantage of dual cores. I used to get
>>>247fps in 1280x1024 too. But that was on the p4. I just installed it on
>>>the A64 X2, so i'll reboot and see what i get :)
>>>McG.
>>>

>>Ha! demo Four, 4.2 seconds, 299.3 fps LOL! 1280x1024, lightmap,
>>trilinear, all settings up high. Demo Four is just a few seconds of
>>kaliedoscopic noises :)
>>
>>C'mon Inglo, you wanna show me how rotten the X2 is, just takes a couple
>>mins to install Q3A and point release 1.32 ;)
>>McG.
>>

> 249 fps. Find me something that shows the 4800 is "2300" better than my
> XP2500 then you've got something to crow about. I don't think there's
> anything wrong with the X2 4800, just that there isn't anything out there
> that makes it worthwhile... yet.

I think we are agreed on that. That it does run some stuff faster is nice.
Far Cry 64 and Riddick EFBB 64 bit are the only things I've tried that show
me anything about *fast*. I was a little disappointed at the general
lack of 64 bit support at first. I should have expected that though :)
McG.

> --
> Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said
> that about Galileo." Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 2:54:11 AM

"David Firewater" <nospam@home.com> wrote in message

> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote
>> I used to get 247fps in 1280x1024 too. But that was
>> on the p4. I just installed it on the A64 X2, so i'll reboot
>> and see what i get :)
>
> What's it matter anyway? The human eye can't see beyond 30FPS.
> -8-) -
> David
> davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com.

*groan* ... naw, I ain't goin thar wit cha!
McG.
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 3:12:19 AM

On 9/4/2005 3:53 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:

>"LymanAlpha" <ioo@??.¿¿¿> wrote in message
>

>>On 9/4/2005 1:35 PM McGrandpa brightened our day with:
>>

>>>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Ha! demo Four, 4.2 seconds, 299.3 fps LOL! 1280x1024, lightmap,
>>>trilinear, all settings up high. Demo Four is just a few seconds of
>>>kaliedoscopic noises :)
>>>
>>>C'mon Inglo, you wanna show me how rotten the X2 is, just takes a couple
>>>mins to install Q3A and point release 1.32 ;)
>>>McG.
>>>

>>249 fps. Find me something that shows the 4800 is "2300" better than my
>>XP2500 then you've got something to crow about. I don't think there's
>>anything wrong with the X2 4800, just that there isn't anything out there
>>that makes it worthwhile... yet.
>>

>I think we are agreed on that. That it does run some stuff faster is nice.
>Far Cry 64 and Riddick EFBB 64 bit are the only things I've tried that show
>me anything about *fast*. I was a little disappointed at the general
>lack of 64 bit support at first. I should have expected that though :)
>McG.

You should try running BF2 with 64 bots. Or some other game that you
can add a lot of bots to, like UT2K4. I bet you get just about the
same FPS in quake 3 no matter what resolution you run at.
Try some other programs that depend on cpu horsepower. Like PiFast, see
how fast your computer can compute pi to several billion places.

--
Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
September 5, 2005 5:13:43 AM

David Firewater wrote:
>> I used to get 247fps in 1280x1024 too. But that was
>> on the p4. I just installed it on the A64 X2, so i'll reboot
>> and see what i get :)
>

> What's it matter anyway? The human eye can't see beyond 30FPS.

Hey Dave, did we ever renew that initiation tattoo of yours..?

--
Ben Cottrell AKA Bench
Anonymous

"LymanAlpha"
snip
>>me anything about *fast*. I was a little disappointed at the general
>>lack of 64 bit support at first. I should have expected that though :)
>>McG.
>>

> You should try running BF2 with 64 bots. Or some other game that you can
> add a lot of bots to, like UT2K4. I bet you get just about the same FPS
> in quake 3 no matter what resolution you run at.
> Try some other programs that depend on cpu horsepower. Like PiFast, see
> how fast your computer can compute pi to several billion places.

Hm. A run for curiositys sake. Might do that. I'm sure you realize that
all I want is for things like games to *go fast!*, right? There have been
some advantages to the OS and 2D/3D desktop stuff though. PSP9 opens in
half the time, all the images load faster even the big ones I work with from
neg scans. Operations ON the images go a LOT faster than with the P4 rig.
So I see real benefits to having the A64 X2. BUT, what I'm wondering now is
if i'd be seeing pretty much the same thing with say an A64 3800+? In
other words, what good am I seeing from 64 bit and what from dual core?
Having skipped from my sons XP3000+ Barton to x2 4800 I seem to have missed
some good stuff :)
McG.

> --
> Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said
> that about Galileo." Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."
>
> Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
> www.inglostadt.com
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 3:58:35 AM

"LymanAlpha"
snip
>>me anything about *fast*. I was a little disappointed at the general
>>lack of 64 bit support at first. I should have expected that though :)
>>McG.
>>

> You should try running BF2 with 64 bots. Or some other game that you can
> add a lot of bots to, like UT2K4. I bet you get just about the same FPS
> in quake 3 no matter what resolution you run at.
> Try some other programs that depend on cpu horsepower. Like PiFast, see
> how fast your computer can compute pi to several billion places.

I'll try some of that stuff. I'll install Ut2004, patch it, then get a
bunch of bots in a level and see what that's like. Thought there was a
limit on the number of bots in a match? Facing Worlds ought to be a good
proving ground :)
McG.

!