i-DVD: How do I know it's still "working"?

Hi all

I have some trouble firguring out if i-DVD is actually still breathing, or just
wasting clock-cycles. I have a 1 h 48 min program, captured of VHS to DV-PAL. I
created a project in iDVD2 "(direct play, no moving menu) and it said it would
take-up 3.6GB, and then chose Burn from the menu (pressing the button Burn on
the main screen, leads to the program aborting without warning why).
Now, at my first attempt, the machine started rendering, and when it came to
"Rendering Assets", the CPU-load jumped up to a 150%. I left the room, and when
I came back half an hour later, it sounded like a 747 was idling in the room:
yup, the machine crashed and demanded a reboot (it's a Dual G5, 2GHz, 1.5GB RAM,
OSX 10.3.2 by the way). I reopened the project, but then rendering refused to
start, so I created a new one, and then rendering woudl start. Again, CUP @
150%. The next day I came in, I expected to see some results, but lo-and-behold,
the machine was trottling a bit, CPU-load of iDVD a meagre 5-6%. Once in a while
when I checked, the CPU-load history showed a bit of heightened activity, but I
couldn't tell what caused the increased CPU-activity. I let it render for
another full day, but no progress :(
Afraid the program just stopped rendering, I cancelled it, and did a brave
attempt to restart rendering, yesterday just before I left office.

Now I'm wondering a few things:

- Doesn't the blue bar indicate any progress on how far the rendering is?
- If not, where can I find the temporary render-file? I could check if that has
"grown" once in a while.

Right now, I am very displeased with iDVD (but that might be because I hardly
slept last night ;-) ).

Thanks

cheers

-martin-

--
My e-mail address is a frequently changing random one to pollute spammer's
databases. I all encourage you to do the same :)

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Martin Heffels <zäödje@toes.in.de.löss.nl> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I have some trouble firguring out if i-DVD is actually still breathing, or just
>wasting clock-cycles. I have a 1 h 48 min program, captured of VHS to DV-PAL. I
>created a project in iDVD2 "(direct play, no moving menu) and it said it would
>take-up 3.6GB, and then chose Burn from the menu (pressing the button Burn on
>the main screen, leads to the program aborting without warning why).
>Now, at my first attempt, the machine started rendering, and when it came to
>"Rendering Assets", the CPU-load jumped up to a 150%. I left the room, and when
>I came back half an hour later, it sounded like a 747 was idling in the room:
>yup, the machine crashed and demanded a reboot (it's a Dual G5, 2GHz, 1.5GB RAM,
>OSX 10.3.2 by the way). I reopened the project, but then rendering refused to
>start, so I created a new one, and then rendering woudl start. Again, CUP @
>150%. The next day I came in, I expected to see some results, but lo-and-behold,
>the machine was trottling a bit, CPU-load of iDVD a meagre 5-6%. Once in a while
>when I checked, the CPU-load history showed a bit of heightened activity, but I
>couldn't tell what caused the increased CPU-activity. I let it render for
>another full day, but no progress :(
>Afraid the program just stopped rendering, I cancelled it, and did a brave
>attempt to restart rendering, yesterday just before I left office.
>
>Now I'm wondering a few things:
>
>- Doesn't the blue bar indicate any progress on how far the rendering is?
>- If not, where can I find the temporary render-file? I could check if that has
>"grown" once in a while.
>
>Right now, I am very displeased with iDVD (but that might be because I hardly
>slept last night ;-) ).
>
>Thanks
>
>cheers
>
>-martin-

It would be helpful to others and you might be more replies if you
explain what iDVD is.

Regards Brian

In article <o29qi0d0ao563s1geu9eo25v39uh1l8s7i@4ax.com>, Brian says...

>>(it's a Dual G5, 2GHz, 1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.3.2 by the way).
>
>It would be helpful to others and you might be more replies if you
>explain what iDVD is.

You picky Kiwi ;-)

I don't expect any useful answers anyway from people who don't even know what
iDVD is :). But the system-specs I included (I quoted them above again, because
you might have missed them?), should have given you an additional hint about
the platform :)

cheers

-martin-

--
My e-mail address is a frequently changing random one to pollute spammer's
databases. I all encourage you to do the same :)

In article <cgj9ho0hu3@drn.newsguy.com>, Martin Heffels says...

Actually, I just checked the precise version number, and saw it was V4 (so not
V2). And guess what? When I came into the office this morning, a freshly burned
DVD was waiting for me! So, it took something like 18 hours (maybe shorter,
niot sure when ity finished).

cheers

-martin-

--
My e-mail address is a frequently changing random one to pollute spammer's
databases. I all encourage you to do the same :)

TRENDING THREADS