More about recorders owner feedback wanted

    << From: Brian bclark@es.co.nz
    Date: Wed, Aug 25, 2004 7:04 PM

    I'd be interested in some feedback from DVD Recorder owners.

    What do you mainly use your DVD recorder for? (camcorder, TV
    movies...)>

    Mainly time shifting and recording great movies from the Hard drive to DVD-R
    disks
    <Do you mainly record in the SP 2 hour mode?>
    Yes. Mainly because if I decide to dub from the HD to A DVD-R disk I want very
    good quality. If the movie is over two hours, I use the flexible recording mode
    to dub to the DVD-R disk to get the highest possible quality.
    <Have you had any problems such as accidently recording over a wanted
    program?>
    That is not possible on my Panasonic DMR-HS2 recorder. The worst that can
    happen is that if you don't clear out your hard drive from time to time you
    can end up with no space on the HD drive to record to but the Panasonic warns
    you if this could happen.

    <Do you use mainly DVD-R(+R) or DVD-RW(+RW)?>
    DVD-R period. And, on a RARE occasion I use the DVD-Ram disk.
    <Do you enjoy the advantages of a DVD-Recorder or do you miss your VHS
    recorder?>
    I have a VHS recorder but I certainly don't miss as I hardly ever use it. The
    exception is if two great shows need to be recorded during the same time frame.
    <If you got another DVD recorder would you choose one with a hard
    drive?>
    I have one with a Hard Drive and there is NO WAY that I would buy one without a
    Hard Drive. It is just too convenient in many ways the best of which is never
    having to worry about whether or not you are going to run out of space
    (assuming you delete from your hard drive from time to time. Also, the time
    slip feature (watching the beginning of a show you are currently recording from
    the beginning-even if you were not there yet-while it completes the recording
    of the rest of the show. How about watching one recording previously made while
    it simultaneously records another show? Zipping back to watch that great
    football pass over again while your recording continues on your merry way,

    I can sum it up by saying this. Don't by a recorder that does not have a hard
    drive unless you ABSOLUTELY can't squeeze out the extra money and even then I
    would say think twice before buying a unit without a hard drive.

    Last, but not least, Panasonic units probably should be #1 on your list.

    <Are there any features missing that you'd like to have on your DVD
    Recorder.>
    Yeah, some more hard drive space but the newer units have taken care of that.
    The new Panasonics have 120 GIGS where my unit has only 40 GIGS. Also I would
    like high speed dubbing which I don't have on mine but newer units do have.

    <Hoping for a few replies

    Regards Brian

    Brian said:

    >>I'd be interested in some feedback from DVD Recorder owners.

    What do you mainly use your DVD recorder for?>>

    For distribution of home video projects also converting most of my old S-VHS
    edits. I have yet to record anything off air.

    << Do you mainly record in the SP 2 hour mode? >>

    It depends a lot on what I'm recording, but as many of my projects are less
    than 1 hour, I frequently use the 1 hour recording. Some lectures that I edit
    are slides and talking heads, and then I use the 6 hour mode.

    << Have you had any problems such as accidently recording over a wanted
    program? >>

    I think that would be hard to do, but I guess it is possible with RW disks.

    << Do you use mainly DVD-R(+R) or DVD-RW(+RW)? >>

    Some +R, but more often +RW

    << Do you enjoy the advantages of a DVD-Recorder or do you miss your VHS
    recorder? >>

    I still have a number of VHS recorders that I use frequently.

    One serious problem with this recorder (which is a Philips DVDR-72). When I
    first got it, had a problem with the copy protect coming on at what seemed
    random times. Talked to Philips Help Line, and even returned it for another
    one. I finally found out what triggers the problem. On some of my old videos
    (recorded in S-VHS), there are freeze frames or slow mo frames where the same
    frame is repeated. For some reason, when this happens thru the S-Video
    connection, the stupid machine decides that it is a copy protected tape.
    (Running thru a TBC did not help) The Philips people were not much help, but I
    have learned to work around what I figure is a nasty design flaw.

    Dave
    http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave

    >I have one with a Hard Drive and there is NO WAY that I would buy one without a
    >Hard Drive.

    What brand/model do you have FredBillie?

    << From: me6@privacy.net
    Date: Fri, Aug 27, 2004 2:01 PM

    >I have one with a Hard Drive and there is NO WAY that I would buy one without
    >Hard Drive.

    What brand/model do you have FredBillie?

    The Panasonic DMR-HS2. DVD-R and RAM disks with a 40 GIG hard drive. The newer
    model has either a 80 GIG or 120 GIG (USA I am told) Hard Drive. My HS2 has
    been great and I am very happy with my results.

    fredbillie@aol.comnospam (FredBillie) wrote:

    ><< From: Brian bclark@es.co.nz
    >Date: Wed, Aug 25, 2004 7:04 PM
    >
    >I'd be interested in some feedback from DVD Recorder owners.
    >
    >What do you mainly use your DVD recorder for? (camcorder, TV
    >movies...)>
    >
    >Mainly time shifting and recording great movies from the Hard drive to DVD-R
    >disks
    ><Do you mainly record in the SP 2 hour mode?>
    >Yes. Mainly because if I decide to dub from the HD to A DVD-R disk I want very
    >good quality. If the movie is over two hours, I use the flexible recording mode
    >to dub to the DVD-R disk to get the highest possible quality.

    Thanks for your reply Fred.
    What is this flexible recording mode when recording a movies that is
    more than 2 hours long?

    When using the 2 hour mode do you get the full 2 hours of a recording?

    Regards Brian

Tuner Cards DVD Video Graphics