How do I find out who is connected via Remote Desktop to a..

We have a few XP Pro PC's that act as a method of remote desktopping to
other servers via VPN across the Internet for support purposes. We also
access these "RD" machines via remote desktop over the LAN. Whoever connects
to one of these machines logs on as the same (local) user. These machines
are limited to a single RDP session that will give an error message if
somebody is already connected (rather than disconnect them). Therefore, we
are always aware when somebody is currently accessing one of these machines.

I would like to expand this further by trying to find a method of knowing
WHO is connected to these machines (mainly in case somebody has forgot to
disconnect). I have tried to write a few versions of vbscripts that will
look at these machines and pull the user name or computer name of who is
RDP'ing in. I seem to have reached a stage of going around in circles. Can
anybody offer any advice on a method of getting this information?

Thanks

Gary
6 answers Last reply
More about find connected remote desktop

    Gary,

    I can't help with the script issue, but one strategy for idle sessions is to setup a Group Policy to
    disconnect after a timeout period. Go to "Start -> Run"
    and type gpedit.msc at the command line. Navigate to the "Local Computer Policy -> Computer
    Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Terminal Services -> Sessions".
    Do this on the RDP host.

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Gary Webb" <email@garywebb.co.uk> wrote in message news:Etpic.36218$Y%6.4756809@wards.force9.net...
    > We have a few XP Pro PC's that act as a method of remote desktopping to
    > other servers via VPN across the Internet for support purposes. We also
    > access these "RD" machines via remote desktop over the LAN. Whoever connects
    > to one of these machines logs on as the same (local) user. These machines
    > are limited to a single RDP session that will give an error message if
    > somebody is already connected (rather than disconnect them). Therefore, we
    > are always aware when somebody is currently accessing one of these machines.
    >
    > I would like to expand this further by trying to find a method of knowing
    > WHO is connected to these machines (mainly in case somebody has forgot to
    > disconnect). I have tried to write a few versions of vbscripts that will
    > look at these machines and pull the user name or computer name of who is
    > RDP'ing in. I seem to have reached a stage of going around in circles. Can
    > anybody offer any advice on a method of getting this information?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Gary

    Thanks for the reply. Although users leaving the session open and idle when
    finished is and will be a problem, this will not be enough. We still need to
    be able to see who is using what system basically, to call them and kick
    them off if we have a more urgent requirement to get onto one of the
    machines.

    So far, I have tried running a script in the run key of the registry of the
    XP RD PC to get the client PC name and put it into a key I have made in the
    RD machines registry. I have then created a script to allow me to run on any
    LAN PC to "get" this client PC name remotely from the registry of the RD
    machine. The only problem though is that this always just returns the client
    PC name/username, etc. of the RD system itself, not the client that is
    RDP'ing to it. This is a problem with my script on the RD system. Not really
    the right problem for this group, but I thought I'd check out any other
    ideas.

    Regards

    Gary

    > Gary,
    >
    > I can't help with the script issue, but one strategy for idle sessions is
    to setup a Group Policy to
    > disconnect after a timeout period. Go to "Start -> Run"
    > and type gpedit.msc at the command line. Navigate to the "Local Computer
    Policy -> Computer
    > Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components ->
    Terminal Services -> Sessions".
    > Do this on the RDP host.
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    > "Gary Webb" <email@garywebb.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > We have a few XP Pro PC's that act as a method of remote desktopping to
    > > other servers via VPN across the Internet for support purposes. We also
    > > access these "RD" machines via remote desktop over the LAN. Whoever
    connects
    > > to one of these machines logs on as the same (local) user. These
    machines
    > > are limited to a single RDP session that will give an error message if
    > > somebody is already connected (rather than disconnect them). Therefore,
    we
    > > are always aware when somebody is currently accessing one of these
    machines.

    > > I would like to expand this further by trying to find a method of
    knowing
    > > WHO is connected to these machines (mainly in case somebody has forgot
    > > disconnect). I have tried to write a few versions of vbscripts that will
    > > look at these machines and pull the user name or computer name of who is
    > > RDP'ing in. I seem to have reached a stage of going around in circles.
    Can
    > > anybody offer any advice on a method of getting this information?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Gary

    One way at this might be to use the "gasp" Messenger service and put up a
    pop-up window at the given host machine. I believe you can target messenger
    popups by machine or IP, rather than by user.

> [...]
    >> > are limited to a single RDP session that will give an error message if
    >> > somebody is already connected (rather than disconnect them). Therefore,
    > we
    >> > are always aware when somebody is currently accessing one of these
    > machines.
    >> >
    >> > I would like to expand this further by trying to find a method of
    > knowing
    >> > WHO is connected to these machines (mainly in case somebody has forgot
    >> > disconnect). I have tried to write a few versions of vbscripts that
    >> > will
    >> > look at these machines and pull the user name or computer name of who
    >> > is
    >> > RDP'ing in. I seem to have reached a stage of going around in circles.
    > Can
    >> > anybody offer any advice on a method of getting this information?

    Try qwinsta....

    From the command prompt help:
    Display information about Terminal Sessions.

    QUERY SESSION [sessionname | username | sessionid]
    [/SERVER:servername] [/MODE] [/FLOW] [/CONNECT]
    [/COUNTER]

    sessionname Identifies the session named sessionname.
    username Identifies the session with user username.
    sessionid Identifies the session with ID sessionid.
    /SERVER:servername The server to be queried (default is current).
    /MODE Display current line settings.
    /FLOW Display current flow control settings.
    /CONNECT Display current connect settings.
    /COUNTER Display current Terminal Services counters
    information.

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:19:08 +0100, "Gary Webb" <email@garywebb.co.uk>
    wrote:

    >We have a few XP Pro PC's that act as a method of remote desktopping to
    >other servers via VPN across the Internet for support purposes. We also
    >access these "RD" machines via remote desktop over the LAN. Whoever connects
    >to one of these machines logs on as the same (local) user. These machines
    >are limited to a single RDP session that will give an error message if
    >somebody is already connected (rather than disconnect them). Therefore, we
    >are always aware when somebody is currently accessing one of these machines.
    >
    >I would like to expand this further by trying to find a method of knowing
    >WHO is connected to these machines (mainly in case somebody has forgot to
    >disconnect). I have tried to write a few versions of vbscripts that will
    >look at these machines and pull the user name or computer name of who is
    >RDP'ing in. I seem to have reached a stage of going around in circles. Can
    >anybody offer any advice on a method of getting this information?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Gary

    Nice! Thanks for pointing out this useful command. Unfortunatly though, this
    gives me access denied when accessing a remote machine with the /server
    switch. When somebody is remote desktopping to that machine, I obviosuly
    cannot get to a command prompt on it to enter this command. Even so, I still
    don't think this is the answer as when I run it from the system that I have
    connected 'To' (remotely whilst connected), it just shows the username as
    "administrator" against that session (which is the local user name I have
    logged onto Remote Desktop as, and not the user name or computer name I am
    connecting from - which is what I am after).

    Thanks all the same. I will remember this command.

    Gary

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:6i8m80pbktpd2bjd0919lpfk2ak81fum8s@4ax.com...
    > Try qwinsta....
    >
    > From the command prompt help:
    > Display information about Terminal Sessions.
    >
    > QUERY SESSION [sessionname | username | sessionid]
    > [/SERVER:servername] [/MODE] [/FLOW] [/CONNECT]
    > [/COUNTER]
    >
    > sessionname Identifies the session named sessionname.
    > username Identifies the session with user username.
    > sessionid Identifies the session with ID sessionid.
    > /SERVER:servername The server to be queried (default is current).
    > /MODE Display current line settings.
    > /FLOW Display current flow control settings.
    > /CONNECT Display current connect settings.
    > /COUNTER Display current Terminal Services counters
    > information.
    >
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Net. & Smart Display MVP)

    > On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:19:08 +0100, "Gary Webb" <email@garywebb.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >We have a few XP Pro PC's that act as a method of remote desktopping to
    > >other servers via VPN across the Internet for support purposes. We also
    > >access these "RD" machines via remote desktop over the LAN. Whoever
    connects
    > >to one of these machines logs on as the same (local) user. These machines
    > >are limited to a single RDP session that will give an error message if
    > >somebody is already connected (rather than disconnect them). Therefore,
    we
    > >are always aware when somebody is currently accessing one of these
    machines.

    > >I would like to expand this further by trying to find a method of
    knowing
    > >WHO is connected to these machines (mainly in case somebody has forgot to
    > >disconnect). I have tried to write a few versions of vbscripts that will
    > >look at these machines and pull the user name or computer name of who is
    > >RDP'ing in. I seem to have reached a stage of going around in circles.
    Can
    > >anybody offer any advice on a method of getting this information?
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >Gary

    You could just use a Terminal Server so you can have multiple concurrent sessions, or look at a Windows XP Solution like WinConnect Server XP:
    http://www.thinsoftinc.com/products_winconserver_info.html

    Asking users to think about things like this is a stretch.

    Patrick Rouse
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    http://www.workthin.com

Remote Desktop Windows XP