Multiple Simultaneous Sessions on Remote Desktop PC

Is it possible for multiple XP clients to connect to a
remote desktop XP PC simultaneously?
I only managed to connect once at a time, a second user
attempt would force the first user to disconnect.
The same happened when I used a VPN connection with the
server PC.
To my Windows Small Business Server PC I can connect
multiple times using RPD.
So, is that a limitation of Windows XP Remote Desktop or
is there another way to achieve this?
T.I.A.
7 answers Last reply
More about multiple simultaneous sessions remote desktop

    Currently that is the way it works...

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=280828

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Mike K." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible for multiple XP clients to connect to a
    > remote desktop XP PC simultaneously?
    > I only managed to connect once at a time, a second user
    > attempt would force the first user to disconnect.
    > The same happened when I used a VPN connection with the
    > server PC.
    > To my Windows Small Business Server PC I can connect
    > multiple times using RPD.
    > So, is that a limitation of Windows XP Remote Desktop or
    > is there another way to achieve this?
    > T.I.A.

    So, what about a VPN Connection? Can I achieve multiple
    VPN connections to an XP computer?

    Thanks again

    for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    confers no rights...

    >"Mike K." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> Is it possible for multiple XP clients to connect to a
    >> remote desktop XP PC simultaneously?
    >> I only managed to connect once at a time, a second user
    >> attempt would force the first user to disconnect.
    >> The same happened when I used a VPN connection with the
    >> server PC.
    >> To my Windows Small Business Server PC I can connect
    >> multiple times using RPD.
    >> So, is that a limitation of Windows XP Remote Desktop or
    >> is there another way to achieve this?
    >> T.I.A.
    >
    >.

    XP will only accept one VPN connection inbound at a time...

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prcg_cnd_dbem.asp

    You may be in need of a server class OS like Windows 2003 server, depending of course on what your
    trying to accomplish.

    --

    > So, what about a VPN Connection? Can I achieve multiple
    > VPN connections to an XP computer?
    >
    > Thanks again

    I won't to connect to one PC, from multiple workstations,
    to put remote orders.
    Because the solution is not based on a server database
    (e.g. SQL Server) but it is an MS Access database, I
    cannot connect directly to the database. Also I would like
    to print the receipt to the remote computer, so remote
    administration is the easiest case.

    So you think, SB Server 2003 would be a solution (although
    a "heavy" and expensive one), or do you know another
    remote administration software or terminal services
    software on the market that would allow for simultaneous
    connections?

    Yet, if the decision would be on SBS, how many
    simultaneous connections one can have with the standard
    license?

    Thanks again.

    Mike

    SBS 2003 does NOT include Terminal Server, only Remote Desktop for Administration. This means that SBS 2003 can only host 2 RDP Sessions (+ one console session).

    Terminal Server how tos:
    http://www.workthin.com/tshta.htm

    Patrick Rouse
    Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server
    http://www.workthin.com

    ----- anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: -----

    I won't to connect to one PC, from multiple workstations,
    to put remote orders.
    Because the solution is not based on a server database
    (e.g. SQL Server) but it is an MS Access database, I
    cannot connect directly to the database. Also I would like
    to print the receipt to the remote computer, so remote
    administration is the easiest case.

    So you think, SB Server 2003 would be a solution (although
    a "heavy" and expensive one), or do you know another
    remote administration software or terminal services
    software on the market that would allow for simultaneous
    connections?

    Yet, if the decision would be on SBS, how many
    simultaneous connections one can have with the standard
    license?

    Thanks again.

    Mike

    You could still connect to the database (locking concerns aside) with
    a plain VPN.. Although XP Pro supports only one incoming connection,
    you could get one of the hardware VPN routers that will support
    multiple VPN tunnels on its own... This would be cheaper than SBS
    2003...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:59:35 -0700,

    >I won't to connect to one PC, from multiple workstations,
    >to put remote orders.
    >Because the solution is not based on a server database
    >(e.g. SQL Server) but it is an MS Access database, I
    >cannot connect directly to the database. Also I would like
    >to print the receipt to the remote computer, so remote
    >administration is the easiest case.
    >
    >So you think, SB Server 2003 would be a solution (although
    >a "heavy" and expensive one), or do you know another
    >remote administration software or terminal services
    >software on the market that would allow for simultaneous
    >connections?
    >
    >Yet, if the decision would be on SBS, how many
    >simultaneous connections one can have with the standard
    >license?
    >
    >Thanks again.
    >
    >Mike

    This is how things work now and in the future:

    You can use a product you can find on my site
    www.computerboom.net
    called winconnet server xp

    also view the flash demo there to get an idea of how it works

    kenny

    "Mike K." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Is it possible for multiple XP clients to connect to a
    > remote desktop XP PC simultaneously?
    > I only managed to connect once at a time, a second user
    > attempt would force the first user to disconnect.
    > The same happened when I used a VPN connection with the
    > server PC.
    > To my Windows Small Business Server PC I can connect
    > multiple times using RPD.
    > So, is that a limitation of Windows XP Remote Desktop or
    > is there another way to achieve this?
    > T.I.A.

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP