Remote desktop connection

I have 2 computers on a wireless network. Firewall is
turned off on both computers. I can acess the other PC
from my network neighborhood. Remote assistance and
control is enabled on both computers. They are both in
the same workgroup. I can use 3rd party software to
connect to the other PC, but I want to use Windows. When
I use RDC and browse for the other pc and when I click on
my workgroup in the brouse for other computers dialog box
is says "The HOME domain/workgroup does not contain any
Terminal servers". I've also tried just typing in the
name of the PC and the ip address, but it still won't
connect.

What do I do?
3 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection

    Browsing, unless enabled by a registry hack, is not available in a work group environment. What
    error message, if any, do you get when you use the LAN IP of the PC your trying to connect to? The
    PC your trying to connect to is running XP Pro, correct? Remote Desktop is enabled on the PC your
    trying to connect to, correct? You are using the correct IP?

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Chase" <chase765@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:3fcb01c42ae7$e5b9af60$a101280a@phx.gbl...
    >I have 2 computers on a wireless network. Firewall is
    > turned off on both computers. I can acess the other PC
    > from my network neighborhood. Remote assistance and
    > control is enabled on both computers. They are both in
    > the same workgroup. I can use 3rd party software to
    > connect to the other PC, but I want to use Windows. When
    > I use RDC and browse for the other pc and when I click on
    > my workgroup in the brouse for other computers dialog box
    > is says "The HOME domain/workgroup does not contain any
    > Terminal servers". I've also tried just typing in the
    > name of the PC and the ip address, but it still won't
    > connect.
    >
    > What do I do?

    I am running Windows XP Home Edition on both PC's. Both
    have RDC enabled. The IP is correct, it is the one
    assigned to the PC by the wireless router. The error
    message is "The client could not connect to the remote
    computer. Remote connection might not be enabled or the
    computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It
    is also possible that network problems might be prventing
    your connection. Please try connecting again later. If
    the problem continues to occur, contact your
    administrator."

    group for the mutual benefit of all of us...
    >The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    confers no rights...

    >"Chase" <chase765@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    >>I have 2 computers on a wireless network. Firewall is
    >> turned off on both computers. I can acess the other PC
    >> from my network neighborhood. Remote assistance and
    >> control is enabled on both computers. They are both in
    >> the same workgroup. I can use 3rd party software to
    >> connect to the other PC, but I want to use Windows.
    When
    >> I use RDC and browse for the other pc and when I click
    on
    >> my workgroup in the brouse for other computers dialog
    box
    >> is says "The HOME domain/workgroup does not contain any
    >> Terminal servers". I've also tried just typing in the
    >> name of the PC and the ip address, but it still won't
    >> connect.
    >>
    >> What do I do?
    >
    >.

    Well, that is the problem then. You can *NOT* connect to an XP Home PC using Remote Desktop.

    --

    "Chase" <chase765@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:40b001c42b1a$c2af29e0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
    >I am running Windows XP Home Edition on both PC's. Both
    > have RDC enabled. The IP is correct, it is the one
    > assigned to the PC by the wireless router. The error
    > message is "The client could not connect to the remote
    > computer. Remote connection might not be enabled or the
    > computer might be too busy to accept new connections. It
    > is also possible that network problems might be prventing
    > your connection. Please try connecting again later. If
    > the problem continues to occur, contact your
    > administrator."

Remote Desktop Connection Computers Windows XP