lacie drives

I was thinking about purchasing a lacie firewire drive so I can transfer dv
directly to drive. I will be using the windows xp os. I liked the idea of
being able to take the drive to any workstation in different locations. Any
bad things to look for with this drive?
5 answers Last reply
More about lacie drives

    "Chris" <beakor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I was thinking about purchasing a lacie firewire drive so I can transfer dv
    > directly to drive. I will be using the windows xp os. I liked the idea of
    > being able to take the drive to any workstation in different locations. Any
    > bad things to look for with this drive?

    I bought a lacie 160gb usb2 drive, and I'm quite sorry I did. I can copy to it
    for about a half hour, during which time, it gets so hot I can barely touch it.
    After that half hour or so, the writes start failing. If I power it down and
    let it cool, it's OK again [or seems to be anyway], though even when not writing
    to it, it gets hotter than I feel good about if left powered. I have never had
    this much of a heat-up problem with maxtor external drives nor even with brand-x
    enclosures that I have filled with raw maxtor drives. Bottom line, while it is
    a nice 'looking' design, I sure don't see any accommodation for thermal
    dissipation -- nor is there any apparent accommodation for positioning it
    'vertically' [there are no feet or ridges except on the bottom -- again, unlike
    most other external drives].

    "SamSez" <samtheman@verizon.net> wrote in message

    > "Chris" <beakor@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I was thinking about purchasing a lacie firewire drive so I can transfer
    >> dv
    >> directly to drive. I will be using the windows xp os. I liked the idea
    >> of
    >> being able to take the drive to any workstation in different locations.
    >> Any
    >> bad things to look for with this drive?
    >>

    > I bought a lacie 160gb usb2 drive, and I'm quite sorry I did. I can copy
    > to it
    > for about a half hour, during which time, it gets so hot I can barely
    > touch it.
    > After that half hour or so, the writes start failing. If I power it down
    > and
    > let it cool, it's OK again [or seems to be anyway], though even when not
    > writing
    > to it, it gets hotter than I feel good about if left powered. I have
    > never had
    > this much of a heat-up problem with maxtor external drives nor even with
    > brand-x
    > enclosures that I have filled with raw maxtor drives. Bottom line, while
    > it is
    > a nice 'looking' design, I sure don't see any accommodation for thermal
    > dissipation -- nor is there any apparent accommodation for positioning it
    > 'vertically' [there are no feet or ridges except on the bottom -- again,
    > unlike
    > most other external drives].

    Sam,
    You didn't say if you bought a d2-model drive or not. I have two of them
    (both Firewire) and I don't have the same heat problems that you had. Also,
    there IS a provision for vertical mounting with the d2's as they have a
    heavy metal "foot" that slides into the slot on the side of the drive
    thereby allowing you to stand it on its end. I have my DVD burner and a 160
    gig d2 mounted in an equipment rack using Lacie's rackmounting kit. I'm
    planning to buy more of them, btw.

    dave

    "Dave" <davemor@knology.net> wrote in message

    > Sam,
    > You didn't say if you bought a d2-model drive or not. I have two of them
    > (both Firewire) and I don't have the same heat problems that you had. Also,
    > there IS a provision for vertical mounting with the d2's as they have a
    > heavy metal "foot" that slides into the slot on the side of the drive
    > thereby allowing you to stand it on its end. I have my DVD burner and a 160
    > gig d2 mounted in an equipment rack using Lacie's rackmounting kit. I'm
    > planning to buy more of them, btw.
    >
    > dave

    I'm not familiar with what a 'd2' model is. There is not much text on the
    original packing box '... design by fa porsche ... 160GB USB 2.0 hard drive ...
    1.4 x 4.4 x 7.4 in ... etc', but nothing that looks like a model number. The
    upc number is 093053307004. It is a very small silver box and has no aux foot
    [nor is there a slot on the side of the drive]. The box looks like metal, but
    feels like plastic. And it gets REAL hot. I'm planning not to buy more of
    them -- for sure...

    Chris a écrit :

    > I was thinking about purchasing a lacie firewire drive so I can transfer dv
    > directly to drive. I will be using the windows xp os. I liked the idea of
    > being able to take the drive to any workstation in different locations. Any
    > bad things to look for with this drive?

    I have an external Firewire Lacie 160 Gb drive, work well but very noisy.
    I have another external Firewire Maxtor 250 Gb drive work well silently.

    "Chris" <beakor@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message news:
    RC_Xc.54298$yh.11597@fed1read05...
    > I was thinking about purchasing a lacie firewire drive so I can transfer
    dv
    > directly to drive. I will be using the windows xp os. I liked the idea
    of
    > being able to take the drive to any workstation in different locations.
    Any
    > bad things to look for with this drive?

    Two years ago I bought a Lacie d2 160Gb with firewire. After 6 months it had
    a switch failure; took 1 month to repair it; 2 months later same problem: an
    other month without external HDD; when it came back the power-pack was
    missing: an other month. BTW they did not charge for the repairs nor for the
    power-pack.

    Since couple of months the disk makes a funny noise ! but still working.

    Problem with this d2 unit is the automatic/manual on-off switch: if this
    unit is connected to the PC alone no problem; but if you try to kook-up
    other stuff like a second HDD and/or DVD burner then you have to start every
    thing before starting the PC otherwise the start of the second unit will
    turn down the Lacie and you get a nasty message from the system; if you
    turn-off the burner the Lacie goes off too !

    In an other word I do not recommend the Lacie d2

Tuner Cards Lacie Graphics