News from Thad?

Not expecting posts obviously but has anyone heard owt?

I see Katrina veered a little and Biloxi seems to have come off worse but
N.O. is still under several feet of water.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4196188.stm
31 answers Last reply
More about news thad

    We're safe and in Beaumont, TX.

    Reports are bad from home. My town is underwater and my house is
    probably gone.
    Two friends who stayed behind are missing, we fear the worst.

    Thanks for the good thoughts.

    "Shawk" wrote

    > Not expecting posts obviously but has anyone heard owt?
    >
    > I see Katrina veered a little and Biloxi seems to have come off worse but
    > N.O. is still under several feet of water.

    The latest I've read is that one of many damns surrounding N.O. has broken
    down flooding the city
    The damage in dollars is expected to exceed the cost of Andrew

    The worst part imho is that hurricanes like this will become more common due
    to global warming and maybe even increase in size
    Ouch!

    - Peter

    thad.eckhoff@gmail.com proclaimed...

    > We're safe and in Beaumont, TX.
    >
    > Reports are bad from home. My town is underwater and my house is
    > probably gone.
    > Two friends who stayed behind are missing, we fear the worst.
    >

    > Thanks for the good thoughts.

    I hope things turn out ok.

    --
    "Now that there is one damn fine coat you're wearing."

    www.stri.tk

    "Stri" <email.given@thepoint.youasknice> wrote in message
    > thad.eckhoff@gmail.com proclaimed...
    >
    >> We're safe and in Beaumont, TX.
    >>
    >> Reports are bad from home. My town is underwater and my house is
    >> probably gone.
    >> Two friends who stayed behind are missing, we fear the worst.
    >>

    >> Thanks for the good thoughts.
    >
    > I hope things turn out ok.

    Yeah, everythings crossed for you here. Look after yersen.

    Great to hear from you! Relieved you and yours are ok :)
    McG.

    <thad.eckhoff@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > We're safe and in Beaumont, TX.
    >
    > Reports are bad from home. My town is underwater and my house is
    > probably gone.
    > Two friends who stayed behind are missing, we fear the worst.
    >

    > Thanks for the good thoughts.

    Me too, that's serious stuff.
    :(

    Peter [AGHL] wrote:
    > "Shawk" wrote
    >

    >>Not expecting posts obviously but has anyone heard owt?
    >>
    >>I see Katrina veered a little and Biloxi seems to have come off worse but
    >>N.O. is still under several feet of water.
    >>

    > The latest I've read is that one of many damns surrounding N.O. has broken
    > down flooding the city
    > The damage in dollars is expected to exceed the cost of Andrew
    >
    > The worst part imho is that hurricanes like this will become more common due
    > to global warming and maybe even increase in size
    > Ouch!

    I Don't think it has much to do with "global warming", it had been
    predicted several months back when Dennis hit that the US was going to
    have a very rough hurricane season this year. I don't know how they
    predict these things, something to do with watching weather patterns..
    but it looks like it has come true either way!

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    "Ben Cottrell" wrote

    > I Don't think it has much to do with "global warming", it had been
    > predicted several months back when Dennis hit that the US was going to
    > have a very rough hurricane season this year. I don't know how they
    > predict these things, something to do with watching weather patterns.. but
    > it looks like it has come true either way!

    It's the overall temperature of the seawater in the Mexican Gulf, the
    Caribbean and the Atlantic
    The warmer the worse - hurricanes fancies hot seawater
    It's like puring gasolin on a campfire - who would like to do that close up?

    - Peter

    Glad to hear you and your's are safe.... That's what matters... I'm
    sure what with the business you're in you have good insurance.... May
    be a while before you can return though the news sez they are
    evacuating the rest of the city as the breached levee is still
    allowing water to pour in from the lake... Thought you were heading to
    Tallahassee...

    On 30 Aug 2005 09:02:26 -0700, thad.eckhoff@gmail.com wrote:

    >We're safe and in Beaumont, TX.
    >
    >Reports are bad from home. My town is underwater and my house is
    >probably gone.
    >Two friends who stayed behind are missing, we fear the worst.
    >

    >Thanks for the good thoughts.

    --

    My luck is so bad that if I bought a
    cemetery, people would stop dying. -

    The Gulf of Mexico heats up to 90 F. and higher every year... It has
    much to do with the position of the Jet Stream and the placement of
    the high and low pressure areas on land... It's purely cyclic... Man
    caused "global warming" is a myth.... 1969 saw Camille, a cat 5 hit
    Gulfport and Biloxi, 1900 saw an unmeasured monster hit Galveston that
    killed over 9,000 people and devastated the city...

    --

    In article <1125417746.783084.240780@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    <thad.eckhoff@gmail.com> wrote:

    > We're safe and in Beaumont, TX.
    >
    > Reports are bad from home. My town is underwater and my house is
    > probably gone.
    > Two friends who stayed behind are missing, we fear the worst.

    Oh, man, it's good news you and your family are safe - our thoughts
    have been with you constantly for the past couple of days.

    Hope your friends are ok. As for your house, it was on the NE side of
    the lake, I recall.. right in the path of the storm.

    Good luck, shoog

    ___
    Neil
    aka HighVis

    Yep, hurricanes were brand new big news to the Europeans.

    Oh, and don't forget the little mutagen or modifier factor that helps the
    changes along.... El Nino current. Gulf waters do get hot.

    You were around for the 1900 job, weren't ya CF? ;)

    McG.

    "Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > The Gulf of Mexico heats up to 90 F. and higher every year... It has
    > much to do with the position of the Jet Stream and the placement of
    > the high and low pressure areas on land... It's purely cyclic... Man
    > caused "global warming" is a myth.... 1969 saw Camille, a cat 5 hit
    > Gulfport and Biloxi, 1900 saw an unmeasured monster hit Galveston that
    > killed over 9,000 people and devastated the city...
    >
    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:00:02 +0200, "Peter [AGHL]"
    > <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>"Ben Cottrell" wrote
    >>
    >>> I Don't think it has much to do with "global warming", it had been
    >>> predicted several months back when Dennis hit that the US was going to
    >>> have a very rough hurricane season this year. I don't know how they
    >>> predict these things, something to do with watching weather patterns..
    >>> but
    >>> it looks like it has come true either way!
    >>>
    >>It's the overall temperature of the seawater in the Mexican Gulf, the
    >>Caribbean and the Atlantic
    >>The warmer the worse - hurricanes fancies hot seawater
    >>It's like puring gasolin on a campfire - who would like to do that close
    >>up?
    >>
    >>- Peter
    >>

    > --
    >
    > My luck is so bad that if I bought a
    > cemetery, people would stop dying. -

    Of course I was... I played Moses and parted the waters so all of
    those mansions on Broadway Street were spared.... Yer right on El
    Nino... I causes western winds in the Atlantic thereby suppressing
    hurricanes... Once again a cyclic natural occurrence...

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:27:54 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >Yep, hurricanes were brand new big news to the Europeans.
    >
    >Oh, and don't forget the little mutagen or modifier factor that helps the
    >changes along.... El Nino current. Gulf waters do get hot.
    >
    >You were around for the 1900 job, weren't ya CF? ;)
    >
    >McG.
    >

    >"Cannon Fodder" <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    >> The Gulf of Mexico heats up to 90 F. and higher every year... It has
    >> much to do with the position of the Jet Stream and the placement of
    >> the high and low pressure areas on land... It's purely cyclic... Man
    >> caused "global warming" is a myth.... 1969 saw Camille, a cat 5 hit
    >> Gulfport and Biloxi, 1900 saw an unmeasured monster hit Galveston that
    >> killed over 9,000 people and devastated the city...
    >>
    >> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:00:02 +0200, "Peter [AGHL]"
    >> <peter.aghl@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"Ben Cottrell" wrote

    >>>It's the overall temperature of the seawater in the Mexican Gulf, the
    >>>Caribbean and the Atlantic
    >>>The warmer the worse - hurricanes fancies hot seawater
    >>>It's like puring gasolin on a campfire - who would like to do that close
    >>>up?
    >>>
    >>>- Peter
    >>>

    >> --
    >>
    >> My luck is so bad that if I bought a
    >> cemetery, people would stop dying. -

    --

    My luck is so bad that if I bought a
    cemetery, people would stop dying. -

    It's bad, where are all the international offers of assistance??????
    http://tinyurl.com/7u5yf
    --

    Neil Jones wrote:

    > Are you on some sort of mission to turn every post into a rightwing
    > points-scoring sort of thing? You're not going to convince any
    > non-american with even a shred of intelligence that global warming is a
    > myth, so why even bother?

    http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/aug2005/2005-08-29-01.asp

    Global warming can be caused by other things than human interference,
    but global warming we have

    The icecap on Greenland is melting descreasing in thickness and many
    glaciers around the world is eroding

    Some interesting figures
    http://www.earth-policy.org/Indicators/Ice/Ice_data.htm

    - Peter

    In article <ego9h1lprgldm4btcorl4im3m2059kdg2f@4ax.com>, Cannon Fodder
    <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote:
    > Man
    > caused "global warming" is a myth....

    > 1900 saw an unmeasured monster hit Galveston that
    > killed over 9,000 people and devastated the city...

    Are you on some sort of mission to turn every post into a rightwing
    points-scoring sort of thing? You're not going to convince any
    non-american with even a shred of intelligence that global warming is a
    myth, so why even bother?

    And the 9000 who died in Galveston were, as you're well aware, only
    still there because hurricane prediction was in its infancy and no-one
    believed the warnings. If the same storm hit today, there would be a
    fraction of the loss of life there was then.

    I know, high horse, yadda yadda

    ___
    Neil
    aka HighVis

    Why don't you PLONK me and stop wasting your time and ink.... There
    are a few enlightened people around besides me... Also, what makes
    using common sense rightwing?????

    --

    > It's bad, where are all the international offers of assistance??????
    > http://tinyurl.com/7u5yf

    I know it is CF - the reports are horrifying. The USA is hardly a small
    string of islands in the Indian Ocean though (the Boxing Day tsunami) - it
    has the resources to overcome this. If Bush does ask for any assistance
    however you know you'll get it don't you?

    Shaun.

    "Neil Jones" <neil@designumbrella.com> wrote in message

    > You're not going to convince any
    > non-american with even a shred of intelligence that global warming is a
    > myth, so why even bother?

    The USA is slowly coming around...

    http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2005-06-12-global-warming-cover_x.htm

    Like everyone else - they now have to find agreement on what they're going
    to do about it.

    Shaun

    "Current Hurricane Season a Cyclical Natural Occurrence" is not nearly as
    good a headline as "Bush's Failure to sigh Kyoto Treaty Causes Hurricane
    Outbreak"

    History & Reality are harsh teachers...

    Squat

    In article <nk9bh1p18be3gu9gbbjdr1ihfjpb9kve8u@4ax.com>, Cannon Fodder
    <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote:

    > Why don't you PLONK me and stop wasting your time and ink....

    That'd be too easy, and not at all in the best traditions of aghl. Plus
    I'm saving on ink by leaving out the odd vwel here and there...

    > Also, what makes using common sense rightwing?????

    I think there's a technical term for this sort of question, which falls
    squarely into the 'Did you beat your wife last night?' category. I
    don't think I suggested anywhere that using common sense is an
    indicator of your political affiliations.

    Having said that, however, from this side of the atlantic there does
    appear to be a definite correlation between 'sense' and position on the
    political spectrum. The further right you look, the more nonsensical
    the ideas we're expected to swallow. From the glorious idiocy of
    'intelligent design' to the baffling refusal to contemplate the causes
    of climate change even when the evidence that it is happening right now
    is overwhelming.

    You guys still have that red mist in front of your eyes - and the
    fanatics, charlatans and outright criminals are riding roughshod over
    everything decent and civilised while your backs are turned.

    ___
    Neil
    aka HighVis

    <thad.eckhoff@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > We're safe and in Beaumont, TX.
    >
    > Reports are bad from home. My town is underwater and my house is
    > probably gone.
    > Two friends who stayed behind are missing, we fear the worst.
    >

    > Thanks for the good thoughts.

    Just catching up with events... glad to hear you're in one piece. Keep yer
    chin up mate..

    <thad.eckhoff@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > We're safe and in Beaumont, TX.
    >
    > Reports are bad from home. My town is underwater and my house is
    > probably gone.
    > Two friends who stayed behind are missing, we fear the worst.

    Hope they are okay, and relieved that you and your family are safe. The reports
    over here look awful. Hope you get all the help you need. Take care.

    --
    Paul

    "Neil Jones" <neil@designumbrella.com> wrote in message
    > In article <ego9h1lprgldm4btcorl4im3m2059kdg2f@4ax.com>, Cannon Fodder
    > <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote:
    >> Man
    >> caused "global warming" is a myth....
    >
    >> 1900 saw an unmeasured monster hit Galveston that
    >> killed over 9,000 people and devastated the city...
    >

    > Are you on some sort of mission to turn every post into a rightwing
    > points-scoring sort of thing? You're not going to convince any
    > non-american with even a shred of intelligence that global warming is a
    > myth, so why even bother?
    >
    > And the 9000 who died in Galveston were, as you're well aware, only
    > still there because hurricane prediction was in its infancy and no-one
    > believed the warnings. If the same storm hit today, there would be a
    > fraction of the loss of life there was then.
    >
    > I know, high horse, yadda yadda
    >
    > ___
    > Neil
    > aka HighVis
    Neil, I am apolitical and have the following comments; Weather forcasting is
    far beyond what was going on in Galveston in 1900. Admittedly the mayor of
    New Orleans and the governor had very short notice that a tropical storm had
    turned into a force 5 monster. However there was a federal responsibility
    laid on the city and the state to prepare a disaster plan to handle a storm.
    Explain why when the mayor called for a mandatory evacuation there were not
    busses there to transport the poor people who did not have the cash to buy a
    ride out of town. Keep in mind that the chain of command is the City,
    County, State, and finally the federal government. The federal government is
    responding as quickly as possible. Most of the problem is your mayor who
    blames the looting on the fact that he controls a city of junkies. This is
    the first place that I have ever seen (includes Watts riots) where people on
    the ground are firing upon rescue choppers. I am leaving tomorrow with a New
    England Red Cross relief convoy and hope to help many people. If it was
    political, I would not take the trip. Paul

    It is just so sad to see that New Orleans was sooo ill prepared for all of
    this. I wonder if the city and region had a well thought-out disaster plan
    at all. E.g. I heard that a flood-wave going over the levees was being
    considered, but that *breaches* of the levees were not thought about at all.
    If this is true, that is close to criminal neglect. If not mother nature
    breached it, what about home security.. a little well positioned piece of
    explosive could have done the same, flooding the city.

    Here in New England they spend $15 billion on moving a little stretch of
    highway underground. Can you imagine what could have been done with that
    money for improving the protection of coastal areas in the low lying parts
    of this country....?

    I hope that New Orleans survives this tragedy, and all surrounding towns.
    God speed!
    -- Anton.

    "taltos" wrote

    > This is the first place that I have ever seen (includes Watts riots) where
    > people on the ground are firing upon rescue choppers. I am leaving
    > tomorrow with a New England Red Cross relief convoy and hope to help many
    > people.

    I wish you the best of luck on your quest

    Just read in the news that most small towns/villages east of N.O. has been
    neglected more or less and a riot is emerging
    Please take care

    Peter

    The smaller towns like Biloxi and Gulf Port are destroyed but calm...
    Interesting chronology of the storm...

    --

    My luck is so bad that if I bought a
    cemetery, people would stop dying. -

    Many, many intriguing photos there. I had'nt seen most of them actually.
    Thanks for the link.

    > The smaller towns like Biloxi and Gulf Port are destroyed but calm...
    > Interesting chronology of the storm...

    Wonder where Thad is right now... Last I heard he was in Beaumont
    about 100 miles east of Houston... We now have 200,000 evacuees put up
    here in the city with more coming.... This has been an heroic effort
    and it still continues.... Like the Phoenix, New Orleans will arise
    from its ashes....

    --

    In article <rpgkh1dl3m0csgkeahk4uujh8r339dtrvt@4ax.com>, Cannon Fodder
    <gonfishn39@mindspring.com> wrote:

    > Like the Phoenix, New Orleans will arise
    > from its ashes....

    Oh, I sincerely hope so, Jack, not least because it was my favourite
    place to visit over there. There seems to be a huge amount of work to
    be done, though - but just maybe a stronger, safer city might be the
    result.

    Gonna cost, though...

    ___
    Neil
    aka HighVis

    Lot's of people working hard, the main levee breach is closed and
    pumping has started....The French Quarter is intact and dry... Money
    will be no problem, what will be needed will be available... The good
    times are rollin' as we speak...
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/05/katrina.bars.reut/index.html

    On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 11:11:23 +0100, Neil Jones

    --

    My luck is so bad that if I bought a
    cemetery, people would stop dying. -

Games Video Games