problems connecting to shared network printer

tina

I'm having a problem connecting to my home network printer...I have wireless
router connected to my desktop PC(ME) and have it networked for my laptop
(XP), I'm able to see the shared printer on the laptop as well as my shared
folders and have access to the printer. However, it's not connecting to the
printer when I hit print...I even get the the page that allows me to
indicate page, number of prints, etc. Please help...I'm at a complete loss!

I contacted Lexmark Tech supp home networking...was told that my particular
printer is not ment for networking...only as a stand alone printer....is
this true?!

Juan

Distinguished
May 5, 2003

In the printers folder of the ME, right click on the printer\
select properties\sharing\see if "shared" is selected.
Also in the Security tab\see if your account has printing
privileges.. it's best to check "total control".

You may have to delete the printer setup in the laptop
and reinstall it as follows: (just in case you have some configuration
error, this will install the printer correctly).. In the XP laptop\My
Network
Places\workgroup\computer_name\right click\select connect..
this will correctly auto install the printer on the laptop....

As for the Lexmark not meant for networking?... it's probably not true
I could be wrong but I don't see what or where the difference could be..
the laptop sends the document to the desktop and the desktop to the
printer... so if you can send documents laptop to desktop, you should
also be able to sent printing jobs.

Hope this helps.