Event Logging for Remote Desktop

Hi,

Is there any way to make Event log start logging attempt
(success and failure) to Remote Desktop. I want to make
sure if I know if there is anyone tried to logon to my
machine with Remote Desktop.

thanks

SL
1 answer Last reply
More about event logging remote desktop

    You can setup an Audit Policy using the Group Policy editor to log logon success and failures. Go
    to "Start -> Run" and type 'gpedit.msc' (without the quotes). Navigate to "Local Computer Policy ->
    Computer Configuration -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Audit
    Policies -> Audit logon events". Highlight and right-click and select properties. Configure as
    desired.

    Note, some folks have XP boxes setup to login without a password. Logging in without a password
    counts as a "failure". This results in the security log filling up very fast if you log failures and
    have a user without a password. I fell into that trap while testing a new XP Pro box a while back.
    The result is you can not login normally. Also note, not having a password is a potential and
    probable security risk.

    The event log can be viewed by going to "Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance ->
    Administrative Tools" and click on "Event Viewer".

    You can look for the "Logon type 10" in the Event Properties which indicates "A user logged on to
    this computer remotely using Terminal Services or a Remote Desktop connection".

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "SL" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there any way to make Event log start logging attempt
    > (success and failure) to Remote Desktop. I want to make
    > sure if I know if there is anyone tried to logon to my
    > machine with Remote Desktop.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > SL

Remote Desktop Microsoft Windows XP