How Do I convert an AVI to a DVD playable file

Hi

Can some one please tell me how I can convert an AVI to a DVD playable file,
so that I can burn it to DVD, what programmes and so on,

Thanks in advance
6 answers Last reply
More about convert playable file

    "news" <email@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Can some one please tell me how I can convert an AVI to a DVD playable
    file,
    > so that I can burn it to DVD, what programmes and so on,
    > Thanks in advance

    I used Ulead VideoStudio 6SE which was bundled with my FireWire card. Since
    then I've bought version 8 which has rather more features, but 6SE has the
    basics. Give yourself plenty of time for the process. I started at 3pm and
    finished around 11pm. That was using a 1000MHz Athlon and 256MB RAM - and
    my video was only around 30 minutes long! OK, I think I ticked all the
    boxes so I got an image file on my HDD as well.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK

    http://www.videohelp.com/tmpgencdvd.htm

    --
    Ruben

    "news" <email@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Can some one please tell me how I can convert an AVI to a DVD playable
    file,
    > so that I can burn it to DVD, what programmes and so on,
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Visit www.videohelp.com for loads of info.....

    Martin.

    Thanks everyone for your feedback

    "Malcolm Stewart" <malcolm_stewart@megalith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    message news:cgqh7d$im3$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...

    > I used Ulead VideoStudio 6SE which was bundled with my FireWire card.
    Since
    > then I've bought version 8 which has rather more features, but 6SE has the
    > basics. Give yourself plenty of time for the process. I started at 3pm
    and
    > finished around 11pm. That was using a 1000MHz Athlon and 256MB RAM - and
    > my video was only around 30 minutes long!...

    That is only 1/16 real time or only just over a frame per second! I'm
    pretty sure my xp1800+ cpu does about 10 frames per second with TMPGEnc's
    default settings.

    "Adrian Boliston" <adrian@boliston.co.uk> wrote in message
    > "Malcolm Stewart" <malcolm_stewart@megalith.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in
    > message news:cgqh7d$im3$1@newsg3.svr.pol.co.uk...
    >
    > That is only 1/16 real time or only just over a frame per second! I'm
    > pretty sure my xp1800+ cpu does about 10 frames per second with TMPGEnc's
    > default settings.

    Yes it was slow. Hadn't thought of it in frames / second though!
    I did discuss the slowness with a local computer maker/supplier, and he
    pointed out so many slow areas in my machine that I was left very baffled,
    but with the impression that I definitely "needed" a 3,200MHz Super Duper
    something or other for video work.

    --
    M Stewart
    Milton Keynes, UK