Shortcut to Remote Desktop Connection

My granny has just bought a computer and has no clue how to use it.
Even the simplest tasks are a frustrating nightmare for her so we're
regualrly connected up via remote desktop so that I can untangle
whatever mess she's got herself into. Unfortunately, even the simple
task of explaining each time how to access the remote desktop is a
chore.

Is there a way to create a shortcut/script that will automatically
connect to a specified MS Messenger user (me), log me in and allow me
to take control without having to go through the several hoops usually
required?
7 answers Last reply
More about shortcut remote desktop connection

    Is this Windows XP Professional? You could set up Remote Desktop for a
    specific account and logon this way without her intervention.

    315328.KB.EN-US How to Use the Remote Desktop Feature of Windows XP
    Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315328

    --
    Darren Hook
    dhook@online.microsoft.com

    Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
    newsgroup purposes only.

    "Dale Walker" <dale303@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My granny has just bought a computer and has no clue how to use it.
    > Even the simplest tasks are a frustrating nightmare for her so we're
    > regualrly connected up via remote desktop so that I can untangle
    > whatever mess she's got herself into. Unfortunately, even the simple
    > task of explaining each time how to access the remote desktop is a
    > chore.
    >
    > Is there a way to create a shortcut/script that will automatically
    > connect to a specified MS Messenger user (me), log me in and allow me
    > to take control without having to go through the several hoops usually
    > required?

    If both you and your Grandmother are running XP (Pro or Home) then look at Remote Assistance, which
    is designed to do exactly what you want...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305608

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/remoteassist.asp

    Otherwise look at Darren's suggestion...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Dale Walker" <dale303@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > My granny has just bought a computer and has no clue how to use it.
    > Even the simplest tasks are a frustrating nightmare for her so we're
    > regualrly connected up via remote desktop so that I can untangle
    > whatever mess she's got herself into. Unfortunately, even the simple
    > task of explaining each time how to access the remote desktop is a
    > chore.
    >
    > Is there a way to create a shortcut/script that will automatically
    > connect to a specified MS Messenger user (me), log me in and allow me
    > to take control without having to go through the several hoops usually
    > required?

    Yes, I know how to use remote assistance.

    Unfortunately my granny doesn't and I'm fed up trying to explain where
    the start button is, let alone how to find remote assistance (you try
    expalaining where the "Invite a friend to connect" button is over the
    phone to a panicking little old lady). Then it's... "double click the
    little blue man with 'Dale' next to it", "that's two quick clicks
    granny, not just one"... "with the left mouse button granny"), etc,
    etc., hence the 'several hoops' comment.

    Face it, Remote Assistance is not a simple one-click exercise for
    absolute beginners. Despite this being at least the fifth time we've
    gone through this, it still takes 10mins+ just to connect.

    My granny needs a simple Big red "PANIC" button on the desktop which
    does all that argybargy for her.

    I would use the far superior "remote desktop connection" but
    unfortunately, she's using an ISP with a dynamic IP address and a NAT
    ADSL Router which means it's next to impossible to use this method.

    "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote in message news:<eTVTsA8KEHA.556@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > If both you and your Grandmother are running XP (Pro or Home) then look at Remote Assistance, which
    > is designed to do exactly what you want...
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305608
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/remoteassist.asp
    >
    > Otherwise look at Darren's suggestion...
    >
    > --
    > Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    > "Dale Walker" <dale303@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > My granny has just bought a computer and has no clue how to use it.
    > > Even the simplest tasks are a frustrating nightmare for her so we're
    > > regualrly connected up via remote desktop so that I can untangle
    > > whatever mess she's got herself into. Unfortunately, even the simple
    > > task of explaining each time how to access the remote desktop is a
    > > chore.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to create a shortcut/script that will automatically
    > > connect to a specified MS Messenger user (me), log me in and allow me
    > > to take control without having to go through the several hoops usually
    > > required?

    Sorry, but "if only". I use Remote Desktop Connections all the time
    for work and they're fabulous but work's on a visible, static IP
    address with a proper domain name so it's easy to set up.

    My granny is on a dynamic IP address behind a NAT ADSL router which
    makes life hell for making R-D Connections.

    Got any hints how to get around that lot and I'll be your friend
    forever.

    "Darren Hook [MSFT]" <dhook@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<#VM$Pg7KEHA.240@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>...
    > Is this Windows XP Professional? You could set up Remote Desktop for a
    > specific account and logon this way without her intervention.
    >
    > 315328.KB.EN-US How to Use the Remote Desktop Feature of Windows XP
    > Professional
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315328
    >
    > --
    > Darren Hook
    > dhook@online.microsoft.com
    > Microsoft PSS
    >
    > Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
    > newsgroup purposes only.

    > "Dale Walker" <dale303@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > My granny has just bought a computer and has no clue how to use it.
    > > Even the simplest tasks are a frustrating nightmare for her so we're
    > > regualrly connected up via remote desktop so that I can untangle
    > > whatever mess she's got herself into. Unfortunately, even the simple
    > > task of explaining each time how to access the remote desktop is a
    > > chore.
    > >
    > > Is there a way to create a shortcut/script that will automatically
    > > connect to a specified MS Messenger user (me), log me in and allow me
    > > to take control without having to go through the several hoops usually
    > > required?

    The easy way to do this is to use a dynamic DNS service provider
    (i.e., dyndns.org, noip.com) to provide a friendly name to the IP
    address of the router (and the client keeps it up date).

    Secondly, check the router manual to find out how to forward TCP Port
    3389 to the private IP address (accessible via IPCONFIG) of the
    computer.

    Then you would use Remote Desktop in the manner that you are used
    to...

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote in message news:<571690lubetq6pcb6gmtgru970bckd4asn@4ax.com>...
    > The easy way to do this is to use a dynamic DNS service provider
    > (i.e., dyndns.org, noip.com) to provide a friendly name to the IP
    > address of the router (and the client keeps it up date).
    >
    > Secondly, check the router manual to find out how to forward TCP Port
    > 3389 to the private IP address (accessible via IPCONFIG) of the
    > computer.
    >
    > Then you would use Remote Desktop in the manner that you are used
    > to...

    Hmmm. Think I've done everything right but it's still not working.
    The main difference between our work system and this one is that it
    has a VPN server but currently, 'Granny-PC' doesn't.

    I've

    1. Set up a dynamic DNS thingumy with dyndns.org... This bit works
    fine.
    2. Set up port fwd (3389) on DG814 ADSL router to IP of Granny-PC.
    3. Set up XP Pro (System properties/remote) Remote desktop - "Allow"
    ticked.
    4. Created admin user 'Dale' on Granny-PC. Set up "Remote Users" to
    allow access to Granny-PC/Dale.

    Anything else? Bit worried about the lack of VPN. Can I set up XP-Pro
    to be a 1 user VPN server? If so, how?

    TIA.

    As for your last part, take a look at
    http://onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm for
    instructions on how to set up the XP end of the VPN server (note that
    you still need to forward TCP Port 1723 and enable GRE).

    As for the issue, are you sure that the "Granny-PC" has a static
    Private address? If it doesn't, it is possible for it to be assigned
    a new address, thus invalidating the port forwarding.. Another thing
    to check is to have the someone at the machine run "netstat -A" and
    see if Remote Deskto is indeed functioning (look for
    MACHINENAME:3389).

    On 6 May 2004 08:57:01 -0700, dale303@hotmail.com (Dale Walker) wrote:

    >"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote in message news:<571690lubetq6pcb6gmtgru970bckd4asn@4ax.com>...
    >> The easy way to do this is to use a dynamic DNS service provider
    >> (i.e., dyndns.org, noip.com) to provide a friendly name to the IP
    >> address of the router (and the client keeps it up date).
    >>
    >> Secondly, check the router manual to find out how to forward TCP Port
    >> 3389 to the private IP address (accessible via IPCONFIG) of the
    >> computer.
    >>
    >> Then you would use Remote Desktop in the manner that you are used
    >> to...
    >
    >Hmmm. Think I've done everything right but it's still not working.
    >The main difference between our work system and this one is that it
    >has a VPN server but currently, 'Granny-PC' doesn't.
    >
    >I've
    >
    >1. Set up a dynamic DNS thingumy with dyndns.org... This bit works
    >fine.
    >2. Set up port fwd (3389) on DG814 ADSL router to IP of Granny-PC.
    >3. Set up XP Pro (System properties/remote) Remote desktop - "Allow"
    >ticked.
    >4. Created admin user 'Dale' on Granny-PC. Set up "Remote Users" to
    >allow access to Granny-PC/Dale.
    >
    >Anything else? Bit worried about the lack of VPN. Can I set up XP-Pro
    >to be a 1 user VPN server? If so, how?
    >
    >TIA.

Remote Desktop Connection Windows XP