PAL to NTSC conversion, how?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 28, 2004 9:18:43 PM

Hi

Can some one please tell me how to convert a PAL dvd to an NTSC one

Thanks

More about : pal ntsc conversion

Anonymous
August 30, 2004 8:09:08 AM

"news" <email@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<T73Yc.279$CJ4.108@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>...
> Hi
>
> Can some one please tell me how to convert a PAL dvd to an NTSC one
>
> Thanks

You'd think someone would have written a one-click method for doing
this, wouldn't you, but I'm afraid no such luck (at least I haven't
been able to find anything).

What I've done in the past is to extract the titles to AVIs that you
want to convert using DVD2AVI or some such program. Then use Tmpgenc
to convert these PAL MPEG2 files to NTSC (just use the standard DVD
template). The results are not spectacular, particularly if there is
a lot of motion in the original movies, but it can be acceptable.

Extract the audio AC3s using VirtualDubMod, then piece it all back
together using any DVD authoring program.
Anonymous
September 1, 2004 2:50:01 PM

stankley wrote:
> "news" <email@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<T73Yc.279$CJ4.108@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>...
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Can some one please tell me how to convert a PAL dvd to an NTSC one
>>
>>Thanks
>

> You'd think someone would have written a one-click method for doing
> this, wouldn't you, but I'm afraid no such luck (at least I haven't
> been able to find anything).
>
> What I've done in the past is to extract the titles to AVIs that you
> want to convert using DVD2AVI or some such program. Then use Tmpgenc
> to convert these PAL MPEG2 files to NTSC (just use the standard DVD
> template). The results are not spectacular, particularly if there is
> a lot of motion in the original movies, but it can be acceptable.
>
> Extract the audio AC3s using VirtualDubMod, then piece it all back
> together using any DVD authoring program.

Hi,

I found a set of AviSynth (2.5 and more) which converts NTSC --> PAL
with very decent results.

Assuming that your d2v file generated by DVD2AVI is 'mymovie.d2v' and
the script you can find at the end is saved unter 'converter.avsi' I
have the following AviSynth file to convert NTSC --> PAL

import("<your path>\converter.avsi")

MPEG2Source("<your path>\mymovie.d2v")
ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)
AddBorders(0,48,0,48)

converter(720,576,true,20,false,false)

Maybe you can reengineer this set of functions to make it work the other
way round. It looks a little tricky but using the AviSyth documentation
on their internet site it shouldn't be to difficult to understand.

Good luck

Andreas

Here ist the functionality (it's not nicely edited, sorry)

function converter(clip input, int x, int y, bool TFF, int "combth",
bool "speedup", bool "show")
{
function kernelbob(clip a, int th)
{
f=a.
\kerneldeint(order=0, sharp=true, twoway=true, threshold=th)
e=a.separatefields.trim(1,0).weave.
\kerneldeint(order=1, sharp=true, twoway=true, threshold=th)
interleave(f,e)
}

function speeduphybrid(clip i, int width, int height, bool debug)
{
comb = telecide(i,order=1,post=0).decimate(5)
f = framerate(comb)

film = comb.lanczosresize(width,height).assumefps(25,true)
film = (debug == false) ? film : film.subtitle("film -> IVTC -> speedup")

video = i.kernelbob(5).lanczosresize(width,height).
\convertfps(2*f).assumefps(50,true).separatefields.selectevery(4,0,3).weave
video = (debug == false) ? video : video.subtitle("video -> blending ->
speedup")

conditionalfilter(comb,video,film,"iscombed(combthr)","=","true")
}

function speedupfilm(clip i, int width, int height, bool debug)
{
film = i.assumefps(25,true).lanczosresize(width,height)
film = (debug == false) ? film : film.subtitle("film -> speedup")
return film
}

function converthybrid(clip i, int width, int height, bool debug)
{
comb = telecide(i,order=1,post=0).decimate(5)

film = comb.lanczosresize(width,height).
\changefps(50).separatefields.selectevery(4,0,3).weave
film = (debug == false) ? film : film.subtitle("film -> IVTC -> convert")

video = i.kernelbob(5).lanczosresize(width,height).
\convertfps(50).separatefields.selectevery(4,0,3).weave
video = (debug == false) ? video : video.subtitle("video -> blending")

conditionalfilter(convertfps(comb,25),video,film,"iscombed(combthr)","=","true")
}

function convertfilm(clip i, int width, int height, bool debug)
{
film = i.lanczosresize(width,height).
\changefps(50).separatefields.selectevery(4,0,3).weave
film = (debug == false) ? film : film.subtitle("film -> convert")
return film
}

combth = default(combth,20)
global combthr=combth
speed = default(speedup,true)
debug = default(show ,false)

input = (TFF == true) ? input.assumetff : input.assumebff

speedupout = (framerate(input) < 26) ?
\speedupfilm(input,x,y,debug) : speeduphybrid(input,x,y,debug)

convertout = (framerate(input) < 26) ?
\convertfilm(input,x,y,debug) : converthybrid(input,x,y,debug)

final = (speed == true) ? speedupout : convertout

final.resampleaudio(audiorate(input))
}
September 1, 2004 11:41:34 PM

stankley wrote:

> Extract the audio AC3s using VirtualDubMod

But, can VirtualDubMod extract it as an .ac3? Because if it extracts
it as a .wav, you shall not be able to re-multiplex without a
conversion to .ac3 format. Is there a way to convert from an Ac3
encoded .wav to an .ac3, without any re-encoding? (Should be easy, but
I don't know of a program that does this).
Anonymous
September 9, 2004 2:28:53 PM

Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message news:<aa2cj0pc3b5rke8bsui0i0sgkdcbn2kh20@4ax.com>...
> stankley wrote:
>
> > Extract the audio AC3s using VirtualDubMod
>
> But, can VirtualDubMod extract it as an .ac3? Because if it extracts
> it as a .wav, you shall not be able to re-multiplex without a
> conversion to .ac3 format. Is there a way to convert from an Ac3
> encoded .wav to an .ac3, without any re-encoding? (Should be easy, but
> I don't know of a program that does this).

VirtualDubMod can extract the audio stream as is (i.e. not convert to
..wav), so you don't have to do any conversion - rip out the .ac3 and
then use as is with your NTSC video.
!