PAL to NTSC conversion, how?

Hi

Can some one please tell me how to convert a PAL dvd to an NTSC one

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about ntsc conversion

    "news" <email@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<T73Yc.279$CJ4.108@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>...
    > Hi
    >
    > Can some one please tell me how to convert a PAL dvd to an NTSC one
    >
    > Thanks

    You'd think someone would have written a one-click method for doing
    this, wouldn't you, but I'm afraid no such luck (at least I haven't
    been able to find anything).

    What I've done in the past is to extract the titles to AVIs that you
    want to convert using DVD2AVI or some such program. Then use Tmpgenc
    to convert these PAL MPEG2 files to NTSC (just use the standard DVD
    template). The results are not spectacular, particularly if there is
    a lot of motion in the original movies, but it can be acceptable.

    Extract the audio AC3s using VirtualDubMod, then piece it all back
    together using any DVD authoring program.

    stankley wrote:
    > "news" <email@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:<T73Yc.279$CJ4.108@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>...
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Can some one please tell me how to convert a PAL dvd to an NTSC one
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >

    > You'd think someone would have written a one-click method for doing
    > this, wouldn't you, but I'm afraid no such luck (at least I haven't
    > been able to find anything).
    >
    > What I've done in the past is to extract the titles to AVIs that you
    > want to convert using DVD2AVI or some such program. Then use Tmpgenc
    > to convert these PAL MPEG2 files to NTSC (just use the standard DVD
    > template). The results are not spectacular, particularly if there is
    > a lot of motion in the original movies, but it can be acceptable.
    >
    > Extract the audio AC3s using VirtualDubMod, then piece it all back
    > together using any DVD authoring program.

    Hi,

    I found a set of AviSynth (2.5 and more) which converts NTSC --> PAL
    with very decent results.

    Assuming that your d2v file generated by DVD2AVI is 'mymovie.d2v' and
    the script you can find at the end is saved unter 'converter.avsi' I
    have the following AviSynth file to convert NTSC --> PAL

    import("<your path>\converter.avsi")

    MPEG2Source("<your path>\mymovie.d2v")
    ConvertToYUY2(interlaced=true)
    AddBorders(0,48,0,48)

    converter(720,576,true,20,false,false)

    Maybe you can reengineer this set of functions to make it work the other
    way round. It looks a little tricky but using the AviSyth documentation
    on their internet site it shouldn't be to difficult to understand.

    Good luck

    Andreas

    Here ist the functionality (it's not nicely edited, sorry)

    function converter(clip input, int x, int y, bool TFF, int "combth",
    bool "speedup", bool "show")
    {
    function kernelbob(clip a, int th)
    {
    f=a.
    \kerneldeint(order=0, sharp=true, twoway=true, threshold=th)
    e=a.separatefields.trim(1,0).weave.
    \kerneldeint(order=1, sharp=true, twoway=true, threshold=th)
    interleave(f,e)
    }

    function speeduphybrid(clip i, int width, int height, bool debug)
    {
    comb = telecide(i,order=1,post=0).decimate(5)
    f = framerate(comb)

    film = comb.lanczosresize(width,height).assumefps(25,true)
    film = (debug == false) ? film : film.subtitle("film -> IVTC -> speedup")

    video = i.kernelbob(5).lanczosresize(width,height).
    \convertfps(2*f).assumefps(50,true).separatefields.selectevery(4,0,3).weave
    video = (debug == false) ? video : video.subtitle("video -> blending ->
    speedup")

    conditionalfilter(comb,video,film,"iscombed(combthr)","=","true")
    }

    function speedupfilm(clip i, int width, int height, bool debug)
    {
    film = i.assumefps(25,true).lanczosresize(width,height)
    film = (debug == false) ? film : film.subtitle("film -> speedup")
    return film
    }

    function converthybrid(clip i, int width, int height, bool debug)
    {
    comb = telecide(i,order=1,post=0).decimate(5)

    film = comb.lanczosresize(width,height).
    \changefps(50).separatefields.selectevery(4,0,3).weave
    film = (debug == false) ? film : film.subtitle("film -> IVTC -> convert")

    video = i.kernelbob(5).lanczosresize(width,height).
    \convertfps(50).separatefields.selectevery(4,0,3).weave
    video = (debug == false) ? video : video.subtitle("video -> blending")

    conditionalfilter(convertfps(comb,25),video,film,"iscombed(combthr)","=","true")
    }

    function convertfilm(clip i, int width, int height, bool debug)
    {
    film = i.lanczosresize(width,height).
    \changefps(50).separatefields.selectevery(4,0,3).weave
    film = (debug == false) ? film : film.subtitle("film -> convert")
    return film
    }

    combth = default(combth,20)
    global combthr=combth
    speed = default(speedup,true)
    debug = default(show ,false)

    input = (TFF == true) ? input.assumetff : input.assumebff

    speedupout = (framerate(input) < 26) ?
    \speedupfilm(input,x,y,debug) : speeduphybrid(input,x,y,debug)

    convertout = (framerate(input) < 26) ?
    \convertfilm(input,x,y,debug) : converthybrid(input,x,y,debug)

    final = (speed == true) ? speedupout : convertout

    final.resampleaudio(audiorate(input))
    }

    stankley wrote:

    > Extract the audio AC3s using VirtualDubMod

    But, can VirtualDubMod extract it as an .ac3? Because if it extracts
    it as a .wav, you shall not be able to re-multiplex without a
    conversion to .ac3 format. Is there a way to convert from an Ac3
    encoded .wav to an .ac3, without any re-encoding? (Should be easy, but
    I don't know of a program that does this).

    Bariloche <bariloche@bariloche.com> wrote in message news:<aa2cj0pc3b5rke8bsui0i0sgkdcbn2kh20@4ax.com>...
    > stankley wrote:
    >
    > > Extract the audio AC3s using VirtualDubMod
    >
    > But, can VirtualDubMod extract it as an .ac3? Because if it extracts
    > it as a .wav, you shall not be able to re-multiplex without a
    > conversion to .ac3 format. Is there a way to convert from an Ac3
    > encoded .wav to an .ac3, without any re-encoding? (Should be easy, but
    > I don't know of a program that does this).

    VirtualDubMod can extract the audio stream as is (i.e. not convert to
    ..wav), so you don't have to do any conversion - rip out the .ac3 and
    then use as is with your NTSC video.

Tuner Cards Desktops Video Graphics