Panasonic E85 or E100 or LG 4820?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

Which of these is the better choice?
Note that in NZ, the E85 and E100 are both 80Gb (The E100 is 120Gb in the
US)

The prices have dropped so may want to jump in now, but.........

I want to know if there is any quality difference.
Feature-wise, are there any useful features that I should take into account?
I think the E100 has memory card input and DV input, but to me they are
redundant. I have a DV camera and Digital still camera and using the PC to
make photo CD/DVD and home movie DVDs is by far the easier and better
choice)

I also think that the Panasonics dont support RW and DVD+R/RW? My S35 player
doesnt either but it plays them all fine, I heard that is due to Panasonic
inventing or having an interest in the -R format

To me, I want best quality at comparative recording modes, useful features.
The other issue is that PC DVD writers are now out that support dual layer,
so given the cost of recorders down under, shall I wait until they also
support dual-layer?

Thanks to all who comment

Tony

DaveR

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.video.dvd.software,alt.video.dvd.tech,rec.video.desktop,rec.video.dvd.tech (More info?)

The main diff between the E100 and E85 is the front card slots and DV in. On
the back the E100 has two sets of I/O up to s-video plus component out. The
E85 swaps one set of I/O connections for scart connectors which add RGB in
if you have Sky and RGB out instead of component.
The downside of the panasonics is no support for -RW which means for sharing
or loading into a PC you need to waste a DVD-R. There are drives that
support DVD Ram but chances are you don't have one. Haven't seen anything on
the LG but a Pioneer 5100 may be worth a look.

"Daver" wrote:
> The main diff between the E100 and E85 is the
> front card slots and DV in. [..]

Theres at least two other major differences:

The E85 has a newer software (navigator), which do add some advantages to
the whole process of managing and editing of the recording.

The E100 is, at least in the European version, much more quiet than the E85.

The E95 would be a better choice, since this model combines the best of the
two above.

> Haven't seen anything on the LG but
> a Pioneer 5100 may be worth a look.

I agree. Pioneer is my favorite.

But the newer 520H is even a better choice, or the 720H model if a larger
harddrive is prefered.

--
Regards, Lars