Problems with setting up Remote Desktop from XP Pro and XP..

Pablo

I have XP Pro on my laptop, and would like to be able to
connect to the main PC using remote desktop. The main PC
has XP Home.

I am unable to find how to make a connection on the XP
Home PC, and I was wondering if it was possible.

I have a normal network connection between them, and this
is running fine.

They connect to each other using a wireless router.

I did have XP Pro on them both at one point, and this
worked fine with the router.

I know the problems must be on the user side [me], and
would love some help setting it up.

Thanks in advance.

I'm almost in the same boat.

I have XP Pro installed at home hanging off a wireless/router/switch port[using UTP to switch]. The box can access the internet through the wireless/router/switch. IP number is assigned by the router/switch. I "think" I've enabled the remote stuff properly, but I'm unable to dial in to the XP Pro box and get my mail.

I've tried a W2K Pro laptop and a XP home laptop. I'm unable to get past the authenication to get my mail off the ISP server.
[ISP does not provide dial-in service... only broadband]

You can not access/control an XP Home box using Remote Desktop from another PC. An alternative is
UltraVNC. Go to http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/ for the server and client software. If you want to
do this over the public internet then I also suggest you install the encryption plug-in for
UltraVNC. Get that at http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Pablo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP Pro on my laptop, and would like to be able to
> connect to the main PC using remote desktop. The main PC
> has XP Home.
>
> I am unable to find how to make a connection on the XP
> Home PC, and I was wondering if it was possible.
>
> I have a normal network connection between them, and this
> is running fine.
>
> They connect to each other using a wireless router.
>
> I did have XP Pro on them both at one point, and this
> worked fine with the router.
>
> I know the problems must be on the user side [me], and
> would love some help setting it up.
>
> Thanks in advance.

So I take your trying to reach the XP Pro box at home from a remote location using either a W2K
laptop or a XP Home laptop, correct?

If so do you have TCP Port 3389 forwarded/opened to the private LAN IP of the XP Pro box on the home
router?

Are you calling the correct public IP for your router?

--

"Felton" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm almost in the same boat.
>
> I have XP Pro installed at home hanging off a wireless/router/switch port[using UTP to switch].
> The box can access the internet through the wireless/router/switch. IP number is assigned by the
> router/switch. I "think" I've enabled the remote stuff properly, but I'm unable to dial in to the
> XP Pro box and get my mail.
>
> I've tried a W2K Pro laptop and a XP home laptop. I'm unable to get past the authenication to get
> my mail off the ISP server.
> [ISP does not provide dial-in service... only broadband]

What "remote stuff" are you trying to do? VPN or RAS... If so,
search for Incoming Connections in Windows Help and Support.

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:06:03 -0700, Felton