Need remote networking solution

I have 2 PCs, each running XP Home, in two different locations, one at my
workshop and one at home.
They both have dial-up internet access.
I would like to be able to access the one at the workshop from the one at
home.
I would prefer to be able to run applications remotely, but even file
sharing would be a good start.
I have been told that XP Home doesn't have something called "remote
desktop", so I don't think I can use that. Is this correct?
Can I use something called VPN in my situation, or would I need a dedicated
server or something like that to use VPN?
A friend has a copy of "PC Anywhere" (From Symantec, I think) that he
doesn't want. Would "PC Anywhere" be a good solution?

Thanks very much,

Chris

---
More about need remote networking solution

    Yes, PCAnywhere is just a third-party solution that mimics Remote Desktop functionality. If its
    free, then why not. The only qualification to that is you need at least version 10.5.1 or later, or
    so I understand. Check the PCAnywhere support pages for more about that.

    Otherwise, a VPN is one solution as is UltraVNC, a *FREE* remote access/control program, with the
    encryption plug-in...

    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
    http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

    Get the UltraVNC server and client and encryption plug-in software from...

    http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
    http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

    You could also run UltraVNC through the VPN tunnel with encryption if desired...

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    "Chris Falner" <cfalner@nowhere.net> wrote in message news:uQeNzk8KEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    >I have 2 PCs, each running XP Home, in two different locations, one at my
    > workshop and one at home.
    > They both have dial-up internet access.
    > I would like to be able to access the one at the workshop from the one at
    > home.
    > I would prefer to be able to run applications remotely, but even file
    > sharing would be a good start.
    > I have been told that XP Home doesn't have something called "remote
    > desktop", so I don't think I can use that. Is this correct?
    > Can I use something called VPN in my situation, or would I need a dedicated
    > server or something like that to use VPN?
    > A friend has a copy of "PC Anywhere" (From Symantec, I think) that he
    > doesn't want. Would "PC Anywhere" be a good solution?
    >
    > Thanks very much,
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > ---

Windows XP