Need remote networking solution

I have 2 PCs, each running XP Home, in two different locations, one at my
workshop and one at home.
They both have dial-up internet access.
I would like to be able to access the one at the workshop from the one at
home.
I would prefer to be able to run applications remotely, but even file
sharing would be a good start.
I have been told that XP Home doesn't have something called "remote
desktop", so I don't think I can use that. Is this correct?
Can I use something called VPN in my situation, or would I need a dedicated
server or something like that to use VPN?
A friend has a copy of "PC Anywhere" (From Symantec, I think) that he
doesn't want. Would "PC Anywhere" be a good solution?

Thanks very much,

Chris

---

Yes, PCAnywhere is just a third-party solution that mimics Remote Desktop functionality. If its
free, then why not. The only qualification to that is you need at least version 10.5.1 or later, or
so I understand. Check the PCAnywhere support pages for more about that.

Otherwise, a VPN is one solution as is UltraVNC, a *FREE* remote access/control program, with the
encryption plug-in...

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

Get the UltraVNC server and client and encryption plug-in software from...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/
http://home.comcast.net/%7Emsrc4plugin/

You could also run UltraVNC through the VPN tunnel with encryption if desired...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)