Need video capture recommendations

Newbie questions:

What would be the minimum capture-card specifications for capturing
DVD-quality video?

Any specific recommendations on a good but reasonably-priced card?

Thanks in advance.

Ken B
10 answers Last reply
More about need video capture recommendations

    Go to your local PC store and get an $18 capture card that's OHCI compliant.
    It will work as well as
    $1,000 cards--probably better because it will install effortlessly and never
    cause problems. Many stores carry them
    as 1394 cards and some of the dumb staff may not know they are capture
    cards.

    "N Hamilton" <no_spamham@no_spamnc.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Go to your local PC store and get an $18 capture card that's OHCI compliant.
    > It will work as well as
    > $1,000 cards--probably better because it will install effortlessly and never
    > cause problems. Many stores carry them
    > as 1394 cards and some of the dumb staff may not know they are capture
    > cards.

    A 1394 card is not a capture card. It has no video functions, it is simply a
    serial bus adapter.

    More info needed, what are you wanting to capture from? What spec is your
    system?

    "Ken_B" <@> wrote in message news:10j45ec87vlk406@corp.supernews.com...
    > Newbie questions:
    >
    > What would be the minimum capture-card specifications for capturing
    > DVD-quality video?
    >
    > Any specific recommendations on a good but reasonably-priced card?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Ken B

    120Gig hard drive, 1800Mhz cpu, 1Gig memory, ATI Radeon 7500 video card.

    The Kworld VS883DV-Pro looks pretty good, but I can't find any comments on
    it.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Ken_B wrote:
    > 120Gig hard drive, 1800Mhz cpu, 1Gig memory, ATI Radeon 7500 video
    > card.
    >
    > The Kworld VS883DV-Pro looks pretty good, but I can't find any
    > comments on it.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.

    Again - What source are you wanting to capture from?

    If you want to capture from a DV camcorder, you can probably get by with a
    firewire card and a 4 pin to 6 pin cable. (total price under 50 USD). If
    you want to capture from TV/VHS/Sattelite or similar, then most here would
    suggest something like the Canopus ADVC100 (around 225 USD from many sources
    and it also requires a firewire card). If you need to capture from a
    composite source, then you need something a little more specialized (cards
    capable of composite capture range from a couple of hundred USD to a couple
    of thousand USD and I don't have an example handy). Heck, there is even a
    peice of equipment designed to work with Adobe Premier that will transfer
    35mm to your computer and can be modified to do other kinds of film as well.

    What source are you wanting to capture from?

    Satellite, using S-video, and an analog camcorder using composite video. I
    have a DVR which records on DVD-RAM, but I was thinking of getting rid of it
    and doing
    the recording directly on a pc hard drive.

    Ken_B wrote:
    > Satellite, using S-video, and an analog camcorder using composite
    > video. I have a DVR which records on DVD-RAM, but I was thinking of
    > getting rid of it and doing
    > the recording directly on a pc hard drive.

    First: Forgive a typo in my post - I meant component video rather than
    composite for my middle example. We have a card at work that is switched in
    for component, but I can't find the box... no matter, though, - that isn't
    what you need.

    OK. I recommend that you get a Canopus ADVC100 and a 1394 OHCI (firewire)
    card for your computer. I'm completely sold on this particular A to D
    converter. It has S-Video and RCA input as well as stereo mini-plug.
    You'll be able to plug your camcorder in through the RCA's or your Sattelite
    in through the S-Video and sound port.

    I tried dozens of TV cards and A to D converters while trying to find
    something to suit my home needs. At work, we have multi-thousand dollar
    dedicated capture devices, but I couldn't justify that for home use... but
    I spent hundreds on cheap cards and converters while trying to save a buck.
    I read good reviews on the web in in these NGs about the ADVC100, but I
    didn't want to spend 200+ USD.... well, I ended up spending far more than
    that in search of something, and none of the cards and converters I tried
    measured up. The ADVC100 worked perfectly the first try straight out of the
    box and has never failed me. I now have half a dozen of them at work and a
    couple in my home.

    Thanks for the info, I'll check that card out.

    > Ken_B wrote:
    >> Satellite, using S-video, and an analog camcorder using composite
    >> video. I have a DVR which records on DVD-RAM, but I was thinking of
    >> getting rid of it and doing
    >> the recording directly on a pc hard drive.
    >>

    > First: Forgive a typo in my post - I meant component video rather than
    > composite for my middle example. We have a card at work that is switched
    > in
    > for component, but I can't find the box... no matter, though, - that isn't
    > what you need.
    >
    > OK. I recommend that you get a Canopus ADVC100 and a 1394 OHCI (firewire)
    > card for your computer. I'm completely sold on this particular A to D
    > converter. It has S-Video and RCA input as well as stereo mini-plug.
    > You'll be able to plug your camcorder in through the RCA's or your
    > Sattelite
    > in through the S-Video and sound port.
    >
    > I tried dozens of TV cards and A to D converters while trying to find
    > something to suit my home needs. At work, we have multi-thousand dollar
    > dedicated capture devices, but I couldn't justify that for home use...
    > but
    > I spent hundreds on cheap cards and converters while trying to save a
    > buck.
    > I read good reviews on the web in in these NGs about the ADVC100, but I
    > didn't want to spend 200+ USD.... well, I ended up spending far more than
    > that in search of something, and none of the cards and converters I tried
    > measured up. The ADVC100 worked perfectly the first try straight out of
    > the
    > box and has never failed me. I now have half a dozen of them at work and
    > couple in my home.

    Sorry that this is a little tardy, but I'm new, having big problems,
    and this thread seems to be the most relevant that I've come across.
    My problem is that I am dropping 15% to 25% of frames when attempting
    to capture analog video.

    In addition to the ADVC 100, I read a suggestion that the user buy a
    digital camcorder, then play back his analog video tape on it and
    capture the resulting digital stream via firewire. I am willing to do
    either, but I would like to have some confidence that doing so will
    fix my problems.

    I am trying to capture video from a Sharp Hi8 camcorder, using a
    Belkin Videobus II USB capture device. My PC is a Dell 3 GHz, using a
    separate 7200 RPM drive operating UDMA mode 5. I have 768 MB of RAM
    (I am using the on-board video device which shares this RAM).

    I have turned off the power scheme and screen saver, accessed msconfig
    and turned off all of the items in the Services and Startup tabs that
    I dared to disable, and disconnected the ethernet cable to the DSL
    router. The only other USB device in use is the mouse, and it remains
    still during the capture process (I have other devices plugged in, but
    they aren't doing anything).

    I tried using a new, high quality tape to make a test recording. The
    results were similar. On the test tape I noticed that when the scene
    didn't change much (walking down my street), dropped frames were
    infrequent. However, when the scene changed a lot (I reversed
    direction), dropped frames increased significantly.

    Is it likely that an ADVC 100 and firewire card would fix the problem?

    Thanks,
    Jim
    Norfolk, VA

    "JAWs" <jaws@jaws.net> wrote in message
    > Is it likely that an ADVC 100 and firewire card would fix the problem?

    Most definately.

Tuner Cards Video Capture Desktops Video Graphics