Nero Ultra 6.3 vs. Roxio EZ 7?

Hi. I'm trying to find out the differences between Roxio's Easy Media
Creator 7 vs. Nero's Ultra 6.3. I'm especially interested in the DVD
Authoring capability. I've been using a trial version of Nero and am
impressed with the amount of control it allows for creating chapters,
menus, etc. Other products I've tried have been limited in this area.

The problem is that there is no trial available for the Roxio product.
Reviews I've read seem to say that Roxio has better photo/slide show
tools, but I'm primarily interested in DVD Authoring.

Any comparison info would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Ken
3 answers Last reply
More about nero ultra roxio

    "Ken" <kenandeva@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi. I'm trying to find out the differences between Roxio's Easy Media
    > Creator 7 vs. Nero's Ultra 6.3. I'm especially interested in the DVD
    > Authoring capability. I've been using a trial version of Nero and am
    > impressed with the amount of control it allows for creating chapters,
    > menus, etc. Other products I've tried have been limited in this area.
    >
    > The problem is that there is no trial available for the Roxio product.
    > Reviews I've read seem to say that Roxio has better photo/slide show
    > tools, but I'm primarily interested in DVD Authoring.
    >
    > Any comparison info would be appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ken

    You might want to check out a "real" Author Program,
    like TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVDLab. The new
    DVDLab Pro looks interesting.

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby wrote:

    >"Ken" <kenandeva@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >

    >>Hi. I'm trying to find out the differences between Roxio's Easy Media
    >>Creator 7 vs. Nero's Ultra 6.3. I'm especially interested in the DVD
    >>Authoring capability. I've been using a trial version of Nero and am
    >>impressed with the amount of control it allows for creating chapters,
    >>menus, etc. Other products I've tried have been limited in this area.
    >>
    >>The problem is that there is no trial available for the Roxio product.
    >> Reviews I've read seem to say that Roxio has better photo/slide show
    >>tools, but I'm primarily interested in DVD Authoring.
    >>
    >>Any comparison info would be appreciated!
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>Ken
    >>

    > You might want to check out a "real" Author Program,
    >like TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVDLab. The new
    >DVDLab Pro looks interesting.
    >
    >Luck;
    > Ken

    Hi. I actually have been checking those out as well. Nero seems just as flexible in terms of chapter/menu creation. However, I feel certain I'm not seeing the big enough picture (being the newbie that I am). What makes DVD Author and DVD Lab superior (note, I'm just test running regular DVD Lab, not the pro version since I think that is only available in beta form)?

    Thanks for any info!

    Ken

    "kk_oop<no spam> @yahoo.com>" <"kk_oop<no spam> wrote in message

    > Ken Maltby wrote:
    >
    > >"Ken" <kenandeva@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >

    > >>Hi. I'm trying to find out the differences between Roxio's Easy Media
    > >>Creator 7 vs. Nero's Ultra 6.3. I'm especially interested in the DVD
    > >>Authoring capability. I've been using a trial version of Nero and am
    > >>impressed with the amount of control it allows for creating chapters,
    > >>menus, etc. Other products I've tried have been limited in this area.
    > >>
    > >>The problem is that there is no trial available for the Roxio product.
    > >> Reviews I've read seem to say that Roxio has better photo/slide show
    > >>tools, but I'm primarily interested in DVD Authoring.
    > >>
    > >>Any comparison info would be appreciated!
    > >>
    > >>Thanks,
    > >>
    > >>Ken
    > >>

    > > You might want to check out a "real" Author Program,
    > >like TMPGEnc DVD Author or DVDLab. The new
    > >DVDLab Pro looks interesting.
    > >
    > >Luck;
    > > Ken
    > >
    > Hi. I actually have been checking those out as well. Nero seems just as
    flexible in terms of chapter/menu creation. However, I feel certain I'm not
    seeing the big enough picture (being the newbie that I am). What makes DVD
    Author and DVD Lab superior (note, I'm just test running regular DVD Lab,
    not the pro version since I think that is only available in beta form)?

    > Thanks for any info!
    >
    > Ken

    I also have Nero Ultra 6.3, but have to admit that I've never
    used it to author a DVD. The earlier versions were problematic
    with my systems. If I recall correctly, they insisted on re-encoding
    perfectly good DVD compliant MPEGs.

    I've found that when selecting a tool that I will be using over and
    over to do a specific set of jobs, the main factor is how well that
    tool is adapted to those specific jobs. What counts is how it fits a
    workflow that I can feel comfortable with, how intuitive it is. If it
    can do everything I want it to do, in what seems a natural process,
    then any number of additional features (that I don't/or rarely use)
    are of no value in my selection decision. I can always find another
    piece of SW to let me do any rarely needed feature(s).

    I usually direct people to TMPGEnc DVD Author and DVDLab
    because they have totally different approaches to the process. I
    personally like the way TMPGEnc DVD Author works, so I've
    enjoyed exploring it's capabilities. Some of the other Authoring
    programs have been much more of a chore (for me) to work with,
    and so I haven't delved into them to any extent. A number of other
    posters seem to have found DVDLab more to their liking.

    No program "does it all" anyway. When you want to do something
    out of the normal routine, it's more than likely you will need to use
    another program. For example you will probably want to have
    DVDShrink on hand for that occasional project that's just a little
    too big. Over time you will end up with a set of compatible
    programs able to do almost anything you can think of.

    Find whatever is fun for you to work with, that will be much
    more to your liking than whatever is the "Best", "Newest", or
    most feature laden product out there.

    Luck;
    Ken

    P.S. The most often mentioned "advantage" associated
    with DVDLab are its Menu creation features. (Not in my
    opinion, although the process may be a little more obvious)

Tuner Cards Desktops Nero Graphics