Remote Desktop Connection Problem

I have an issue regarding Remotely Accessing a Windows XP Professional computer using Remote Desktop. I am not able to log into the remote computer unless someone has logged into the machine locally. The Windows XP login screen is presented upon connecting with Remote Desktop, however upon trying the log into the remote computer with a username and password (that has admin rights) a dialogue box pops up saying "Logging Off" and the Remote Desktop connection is automatically dropped. No other error are presented and the remote system is fully patched. I have used Remote Desktop successfully for months with no previous problems.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron
3 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection problem

    I found this info that may help you

    Hi,

    I understand that the remote desktop connection logs off immediately after
    logon.

    Please try the following steps and check if it helps you.

    1. Go to control panel
    2. Administrative tools
    3. Double click services
    4. Disable nVidia Display driver service if present
    5. Reboot the system.

    Now check if the issue still occurs.

    Thank you,

    Rashmi

    "Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an issue regarding Remotely Accessing a Windows XP Professional
    computer using Remote Desktop. I am not able to log into the remote
    computer unless someone has logged into the machine locally. The Windows XP
    login screen is presented upon connecting with Remote Desktop, however upon
    trying the log into the remote computer with a username and password (that
    has admin rights) a dialogue box pops up saying "Logging Off" and the Remote
    Desktop connection is automatically dropped. No other error are presented
    and the remote system is fully patched. I have used Remote Desktop
    successfully for months with no previous problems.

    > Any suggestions?
    >

    > Thanks,
    >

    > Ron

    Adrian,

    I'll test your suggestion and let you know. This potential solution does have merit and I *DID* update my Nvdia driver set...one of the few system changes that I made between RDC working and then exhibiting this problem.

    Thanks,

    Ron

    Adrian,

    Thanks so much! Your suggestion works - Remote Desktop is now properly working again! However, I modified your solution approach. Rather than only disabling the nVidia Display driver service I completely uninstalled the nVidia display driver and rebooted the system.

    After the system rebooted and the default Windows Display drivers were installed Remote Desktop worked as it is supposed to. Problem Solved!

    Thanks Again!

    Ron

    ----- Adrian wrote: -----

    I found this info that may help you

    Hi,

    I understand that the remote desktop connection logs off immediately after
    logon.

    Please try the following steps and check if it helps you.

    1. Go to control panel
    2. Administrative tools
    3. Double click services
    4. Disable nVidia Display driver service if present
    5. Reboot the system.

    Now check if the issue still occurs.

    Thank you,

    Rashmi

    "Ron" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an issue regarding Remotely Accessing a Windows XP Professional
    computer using Remote Desktop. I am not able to log into the remote
    computer unless someone has logged into the machine locally. The Windows XP
    login screen is presented upon connecting with Remote Desktop, however upon
    trying the log into the remote computer with a username and password (that
    has admin rights) a dialogue box pops up saying "Logging Off" and the Remote
    Desktop connection is automatically dropped. No other error are presented
    and the remote system is fully patched. I have used Remote Desktop
    successfully for months with no previous problems.
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Ron

Remote Desktop Connection Computers Windows XP