no wireless connection after SP2

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 7, 2004 2:11:14 PM

Hi there,

After many others I had the unpleasant experience that after installing SP2
my notebook can't find no WLAN network anymore:

-Samsung P35 with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B
- after deinstalling SP2 same problems
- no updates available for the drivers (none I could find)
- I tried several tips offered in this forum like stopping the WLAN
configuration service etc.

the problem is that the WLAN card won't see the AP (its not a IP problem) -
after a reboot I get sometimes a very low signal but then its gone.

Any help would be appreciated because right now I have no idea except to
reinstall Windows which is not a good option.

Peter
Anonymous
October 7, 2004 2:35:28 PM

I just found that my WLAN card Intel® PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN PCI Adapter is
not supported under SP2:

http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2011b...

the problem is that the WLAN adapter is always off and can't be turned on.

I would think thats not very nice for a notebook that I bought a couple of
months ago.

Why didn't Microsoft take this into account for SP2 because this WLAN
adapter is probably very common.

But may be I can try to use an external adapter.

Peter

"Peter Monadjemi" <peterm@activetraining.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi there,
>
> After many others I had the unpleasant experience that after installing
> SP2 my notebook can't find no WLAN network anymore:
>
> -Samsung P35 with Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B
> - after deinstalling SP2 same problems
> - no updates available for the drivers (none I could find)
> - I tried several tips offered in this forum like stopping the WLAN
> configuration service etc.
>
> the problem is that the WLAN card won't see the AP (its not a IP
> problem) - after a reboot I get sometimes a very low signal but then its
> gone.
>
> Any help would be appreciated because right now I have no idea except to
> reinstall Windows which is not a good option.
>
> Peter

October 7, 2004 2:35:29 PM

At Last!

Somebody else whohas the sma problem as me, ive heard that if you remove the
Q815485 fix then it should work.
October 8, 2004 12:51:18 AM

SP2 supercedes the Q815485 so uninstalling it should not change anything.

--PA

"andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5C35705-D0FD-465A-8FB6-CF0813100EFD@microsoft.com...

> At Last!
>
> Somebody else whohas the sma problem as me, ive heard that if you remove the
> Q815485 fix then it should work.

Anonymous
October 9, 2004 1:14:54 AM

I saw that in Intel site too, but for Intel® PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN
PCI Adapter. Yours and mine is 2100 3B LAN mini pci, does it make any
difference? I couldn't find any information about that one.

Vasco

"Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message news:<uTfgCIKrEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> SP2 supercedes the Q815485 so uninstalling it should not change anything.
>
> --PA
>
> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5C35705-D0FD-465A-8FB6-CF0813100EFD@microsoft.com...
> >
> > At Last!
> >
> > Somebody else whohas the sma problem as me, ive heard that if you remove the
> > Q815485 fix then it should work.

October 11, 2004 5:43:03 AM

No i didnt make a difference- i ahve got the netgear WG311V2 adapter and it
still doesnt work so if anybody has remedied it can they tell me how please
becasue im at a loss

Cheers

Andy

"Vasco Calais Pedro" wrote:

> I saw that in Intel site too, but for Intel® PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN
> PCI Adapter. Yours and mine is 2100 3B LAN mini pci, does it make any
> difference? I couldn't find any information about that one.
>
> Vasco
>

> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message news:<uTfgCIKrEHA.1992@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>...
> > SP2 supercedes the Q815485 so uninstalling it should not change anything.
> >
> > --PA
> >
> > "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5C35705-D0FD-465A-8FB6-CF0813100EFD@microsoft.com...
> > >
> > > At Last!
> > >
> > > Somebody else whohas the sma problem as me, ive heard that if you remove the
> > > Q815485 fix then it should work.

Anonymous
October 13, 2004 9:58:48 PM

Basically, some wireless adapers are buggy. In many cases the vendors have
released newer drivers for them (this should always be a vendor option).
Windows calls various functions in the driver to probe for the driver's
capability (including WPA). Some older drivers respond badly to those
function calls and the driver freaks out and stops working (it puts the
driver into a bad state).

In particular, there was a range of Intel drivers that behave badly with
XPSP2 and some of those ship as "in-box" drivers on CD's or pre-installed
images that come with various laptops. If you have problems after installing
XPSP2, it may be due to a driver bug and you should definititely install the
"latest" drivers.

In the case where there is NOT a "latest driver" that resolves this
particular driver bug, you can purchase a new NIC. In many (most?) cases,
however, there should be a driver update that fixes the problem.

You should NOT uninstall XPSP2 as Intel suggests, since all future updates
to windows will probably have the same behavior. If you run XPSP2 and other
updates, you will be more secure, get more features, etc. However, XPSP2
does not update many (any?) drivers automatically, so you must go to the
hardware vendor's website to get the update (either the laptop vendor or the
NIC vendor).

Sorry for the bad news. I hope this helps you find a solution to the
problem. Older hardware is usually only 802.11b anyway, so newer hardware
should be faster with better security capabilities.

One more thing - In many cases, you have the option of turning OFF the
windows wireless client and using the wireless hardware vendor's client.
This might be Intel ProSet in this case. Using the vendor's software for
legacy (unmaintained) hardware might help you fix the problem until you are
ready to upgrade your NIC.

-Carl

--
Standard Disclaimers -
and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly

> No i didnt make a difference- i ahve got the netgear WG311V2 adapter and
> it
> still doesnt work so if anybody has remedied it can they tell me how
> please
> becasue im at a loss
>
> Cheers
>
> Andy
>
> "Vasco Calais Pedro" wrote:
>
>> I saw that in Intel site too, but for Intel® PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN
>> PCI Adapter. Yours and mine is 2100 3B LAN mini pci, does it make any
>> difference? I couldn't find any information about that one.
>>
>> Vasco
>>

>> "Pavel A." <pavel_a@NOwritemeNO.com> wrote in message
>> > SP2 supercedes the Q815485 so uninstalling it should not change
>> > anything.
>> >
>> > --PA
>> >
>> > "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
October 17, 2004 11:00:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

My problem is right now that even after uninstalling SP2 my WLAN (Intel(R)
PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini-PCI-Adapter) adapter is TURNED OFF and I have
no way turning it on again.

I am also using the Intel ProSet tool which says that the adapter is OFF and
the ON button is deactivated.

Right now I don't have any choice then reinstalling Windows XP completely.

Regards,
Peter

"Carl DaVault [MSFT]" <carlda@online.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:o vZe3jYsEHA.2664@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>
> -Carl
>
> --
> Standard Disclaimers -
> and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly
> to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.
>

> "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No i didnt make a difference- i ahve got the netgear WG311V2 adapter and
> > it
> > still doesnt work so if anybody has remedied it can they tell me how
> > please
> > becasue im at a loss
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > Andy
> >
> > "Vasco Calais Pedro" wrote:
> >
> >> I saw that in Intel site too, but for Intel® PRO/Wireless 2011B LAN
> >> PCI Adapter. Yours and mine is 2100 3B LAN mini pci, does it make any
> >> difference? I couldn't find any information about that one.

October 18, 2004 2:49:10 AM

Hey, I did a BIOS update for my Samsung P35 and at least got the WiFi
connection back with SP1.

> [...]
> > windows wireless client and using the wireless hardware vendor's client.
> > This might be Intel ProSet in this case. Using the vendor's software for
> > legacy (unmaintained) hardware might help you fix the problem until you
> are
> > ready to upgrade your NIC.
> >
> > -Carl
> >
> > --
> > Standard Disclaimers -
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
> > and confers no rights. Please do not send e-mail directly
> > to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only.
> >

> > "andy" <andy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > No i didnt make a difference- i ahve got the netgear WG311V2 adapter
and
> > > it
> > > still doesnt work so if anybody has remedied it can they tell me how

February 21, 2005 9:57:07 AM

I've got an Acer 291lci running SP2 and I too cannot get my wireless network
to be recognised (other computers can). After no joy from Acer I found this
discussion and went to the Intel web site to download the latest drivers for
the Intel PRO/Wireless Lan 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter. But that adapter was not
listed - only the 2200. I telephoned Intel who said that I shouldn't download
drivers from their site but from Acer's! Acer knew nothing of the problem and
were no help at all.

So where does that leave me? Do I have to uninstall SP2? Surely Microsoft or
Acer should supply drivers that work with SP2?

!