Automatic Modem Disconnect with Remote Desktop

I am running into an issue where a system I am working on remotely
automatically disconnects the modem when I log out of Remote Desktop. The
problem is that this system has services that require Internet access. When
the connection becomes disconnected it is automatically redialed, but there
is a delay where these services are unavailable. I have tried this on a
couple of other systems and always get the same behavior. Does anyone know a
solution to turn this off?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I suggest you check if you set the following option.

1. Open Control Panel->Internet Options.

2. Click the Connections tab and double-click the Dial-up connection.

3. Click the Advanced tab and check if you set the disconnect settings.

Also, please check if your dial-up connection program has this feature.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Jack Wang, MCSE 2000, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Partner Support

from your issue.

--------------------
| From: "BH" <nospam@nospam.com>
| Subject: Automatic Modem Disconnect with Remote Desktop
| Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:07:11 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely
|
| I am running into an issue where a system I am working on remotely
| automatically disconnects the modem when I log out of Remote Desktop. The
| problem is that this system has services that require Internet access.
When
| the connection becomes disconnected it is automatically redialed, but
there
| is a delay where these services are unavailable. I have tried this on a
| couple of other systems and always get the same behavior. Does anyone
know a
| solution to turn this off?
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Brian

The dialer settings are fine, it is not actually a idle disconnect or
anything like that. The relationship is disconnect from the terminal server
(either through log off or disconnect method) and it drops the line
immediately.

Thank you for your help.

Brian

"BH" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I am running into an issue where a system I am working on remotely
> automatically disconnects the modem when I log out of Remote Desktop. The
> problem is that this system has services that require Internet access.
When
> the connection becomes disconnected it is automatically redialed, but
there
> is a delay where these services are unavailable. I have tried this on a
> couple of other systems and always get the same behavior. Does anyone know
> solution to turn this off?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Brian

Hi Brian,

Thank you for the update.

Please also check the following dial-up connection setting.

1. Open Control Panel->Internet Options.

2. Click the Connections tab

3. Select Never dial a connection.

Then, please use the dial-up connection to dial up to the Internet manually
and check if the issue still exists.

If the issue still exists, please refer to the following article to send
the PPP log to me.

234014 HOW TO: Enable PPP Logging in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=234014