WinXP Pro laptop/Win2K Server with Terminal Services

Hi, when I had Win2K Pro on my laptop I could use Terminal Services to remotely manage a win2k server. Now I've upgraded to WinXP Pro on my laptop and there is no longer a Terminal Services client. I guess I need to use Remote Desktop, but any documentation I find is for setting up this laptop to accept connections. Nothing about connecting to another machine.

What application do I need to fire up to access the remote server?

Thanks!
5 answers Last reply
More about winxp laptop win2k server terminal services

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/startremote.asp

    --
    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:30:03 -0500, "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:

    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/startremote.asp

    But what does it mean by "type your computer name"?

    Does it mean \\computer?
    Does it mean computer.domain.com?

    this could be clearer.

    --
    Jim Hatfield

    From a remote location over the public internet use the public IP/fully qualified domain name of the
    PC or if the PC is behind a firewall/NAT/router then the public IP (assuming TCP Port 3389 is
    forwarded to the private LAN IP of the PC). If its on a local LAN then use its network name or LAN
    IP address.

    --

    "Jim Hatfield" <jim.hatfield@insignia.com> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:30:03 -0500, "Sooner Al" <SoonerAl@somewhere.net.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/startremote.asp
    >
    > But what does it mean by "type your computer name"?
    >
    > Does it mean \\computer?
    > Does it mean computer.domain.com?
    >
    > this could be clearer.
    >
    > --
    > Jim Hatfield

    Hi! Well here it goes, you have to use remote desktop
    connection to manage the servers like you said, if you
    have to connect to a vpn to ge to those servers you must
    do so first. once you do that just go to the rdc box and
    type in the full server name...servername.domain.etc.
    that shold be all you need to do

    It is called the Remote Desktop Connection Client... It is also
    available by typing in "mstsc" from a command prompt..

    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:21:07 -0700, "smosh"

    >Hi, when I had Win2K Pro on my laptop I could use Terminal Services to remotely manage a win2k server. Now I've upgraded to WinXP Pro on my laptop and there is no longer a Terminal Services client. I guess I need to use Remote Desktop, but any documentation I find is for setting up this laptop to accept connections. Nothing about connecting to another machine.
    >
    >What application do I need to fire up to access the remote server?
    >
    >Thanks!

Laptops Terminal Servers Windows XP