Remote desktop between XP Home and 2000

I've just recently setup my cable modem and D Link wireless G router. I have my XP Home desktop wired to the router and I have a docking station for my work laptop that runs Windows 2000 wired to the router as well.

What I want to do is to use my home pc to connect to my docked laptop (I assume using Remote Desktop) to start, log on, connect to work w/ VPN, and execute our proprietary applications that are loaded on my laptop. Is this possible? How do I go about setting it all up?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Not with Remote Desktop. Look at UltraVNC to access/control a W2K box...

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

Why not just get on the laptop and VPN into work and run your applications? I don't understand the
need for the XP Home box being in the mix...

--
Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Andy in CA" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just recently setup my cable modem and D Link wireless G router. I have my XP Home desktop
> wired to the router and I have a docking station for my work laptop that runs Windows 2000 wired
> to the router as well.
>
> What I want to do is to use my home pc to connect to my docked laptop (I assume using Remote
> Desktop) to start, log on, connect to work w/ VPN, and execute our proprietary applications that
> are loaded on my laptop. Is this possible? How do I go about setting it all up?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Andy

I really don't like working with the small screen (poor vision), keyboard, and touchpad unless I have to. I also don't have enough space for an extra monitor, keyboard, and mouse. I thought this would be the best way to share those three resources across the two computers. Also, in some way I'm hoping to eventually be able to leave the work computer at work and do the same thing.

Andy